Purchasing Advice: External Hard Drive

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hello all,

I am in the process of switching and have recently ordered a powerbook using my educational discount. However, I need to find a way of transferring my files from my home pc to the notebook, and figured that an external hard drive would be the best option.

I am a little unsure as to the technical issues surrounding this. If i format an external hard drive for the pc, so i can tranfer files to it, will my powerbook be able to read them so i can tranfer across? Once i have tranferred the files i will format it for the powerbook as a backup drive, but first off i have to get my files across.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    sal 9000sal 9000 Posts: 10member
    Make sure the HD has both USB and FireWire. The PC probably only has USB, but the FW on the Mac will be much faster. Plug into the PC first and copy files, then attach to the Mac. It should read the PC formatted disk with no prob. Make sure all the data is copied before getting rid of the PC.

I like the LaCie drives personally.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    formerlurkerformerlurker Posts: 2,686member
    Quote:

Originally posted by your_ad_here

If i format an external hard drive for the pc, so i can tranfer files to it, will my powerbook be able to read them so i can tranfer across?

YES
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Thanks for your replies guys. I just confirmed this myself on the lacie website, but i still have one issue. My home pc does have firewire, so that is one advantage, but do the drives power off the firewire? If not is the voltage variable? I ask because i plan to buy the drive in the US (where i will be using it at college) but my home pc is in england. If the lacie only runs off one voltage (i.e american), am i screwed? I need to find a way of transferring these files!!
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by your_ad_here

My home pc does have firewire, so that is one advantage, but do the drives power off the firewire? If not is the voltage variable? I ask because i plan to buy the drive in the US (where i will be using it at college) but my home pc is in england. If the lacie only runs off one voltage (i.e american), am i screwed?

You're not screwed -- the worst that can happen is you have to buy a voltage converter. You can find one for $20 or so at any store that does travel stuff. I've even seen surge suppressors that plug into UK outlets and have both UK and US plugs, so you can use your English toaster and your American hair dryer.

In theory, the drive will run off FireWire bus power, but I wouldn't count on it working on the PC. It may, but some FireWire cards don't supply bus power, so to be safe, you should take the power adapter.

P.S. if you take my advice, you'll stay in England!
  • Reply 5 of 9
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    lacie's rock, but theyre loud. just fyi.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Sal9000, thanks for the reply. I think i saw something similar to what you're talking about in a brookstone store, so i'll try and check one of those out.

P.S Why do you suggest i stay in england?
  • Reply 7 of 9
    You won't find a single decent pub in all of North Carolina. Your mileage may vary, of course, but I find the English far more intelligent, educated, and urbane than Americans.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    isilorisilor Posts: 10member
    Something you may want to consider - if you have a router, better yet a wireless router - is a Network Hard drive.

You plug it into an outlet, and then use Ethernet to connect it your router. This is great if you don't have a computer that is on all the time but still want continual instant access to a drive that can be used on any computer on your home network.

Cheers,

Isilor
  • Reply 9 of 9
    sammicksammick Posts: 416member
    If you are transferring files from one Mac to another, if both have firewire, you can do it without buying a external--you can connect them with firewire. Directions are in the I book instruction manual.

I also have a La Cie which I like a lot.