something interesting about LCD screens

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I spoke to a Philips Engineer about my faulty FlatPanel monitor today, one half side of the screen has died, so they're going to replace the screen.

However the intersting bit is that the reason half my screen has died, is because LCD's over 15" are made from 2 smaller screens joined together (I don't know if this is specific to all manufacturers) - however, you'd never suspect, its seamless.

So why the inflated prices of LCD screens? Answer it's a con.

The panel is 17" 1280x1024, meaning each half is 640x1024, so join three together and you'd get 1920x1024, thats about a 20"-22" LCD size. Admittedly my Panel is in the mid-budet range, but a 50% increase in price would bring the price to about £450GBP or $700. Show me a 20"-22" LCD for that kind of money?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    iraszliraszl Posts: 5member
    as you said, it's inflated, but maybe it has to do something with different electronics for bigger screens.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MarcUK

However the intersting bit is that the reason half my screen has died, is because LCD's over 15" are made from 2 smaller screens joined together (I don't know if this is specific to all manufacturers) - however, you'd never suspect, its seamless.

MarcUK: Are you sure you understood the engineer correctly? My semi-educated guess would have been that there were two backlights, one on the left and one on the right side, but only a single LCD panel. Dunno...

Escher
  • Reply 3 of 7
    marcukmarcuk Posts: 4,442member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Escher

MarcUK: Are you sure you understood the engineer correctly? My semi-educated guess would have been that there were two backlights, one on the left and one on the right side, but only a single LCD panel. Dunno...

Escher

No thats not the case, Im actually using it as I type, the light's fine, its the noise, banding, colour depth and ghosting down one half thats the problem,

still, credit to Philips, I got an automatic 3 year on site warrantly, being replaced at my convenience next week, no questions asked. Its not the best monitor by any means, but its plenty good enough, but Philips customer service is the best I've had to deal with in the last 10 years.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by iraszl

as you said, it's inflated, but maybe it has to do something with different electronics for bigger screens.

I cant imagine different electronics are worth $600-1000 on the price honestly.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    iraszliraszl Posts: 5member
    maybe you can clarify next week and let us know.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by iraszl

maybe you can clarify next week and let us know.

what do you want me to clarify?
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Why don't you break it apart and tell us?