Indicating threads in which you've posted

Posted:
in Feedback edited January 2014
A few weeks back when the forums were being changed around a bit, I'm pretty sure that at one point this feature was turned on. The little folder icon preceding the thread title was a different color, I believe.

I like this. Sometimes you're trying to follow a discussion in which you've participated, but there are lots of similar-sounding threads. It's nice to see which ones you've posted in as a reminder.

It many be difficult to keep straight which ones you've posted in vs. which ones have new posts - maybe that's the reason for not using this feature? I don't know anything about the various features of these forums, but maybe there's a way to get that back without it being confusing.

Thanks.

[edit. hmm, the title says "threades." Yeah, that's what I meant. It's the famous Greek playwright named Threades. You know the one.]

[edit by Amorph: Well, he's two millenia dead. He won't mind if I edit him out of the thread title. ]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    answer

oh and the icon color was the same... (blue or yellow)

the extra identifier was the folder being open just a little bit...

worked well...
  • Reply 2 of 16
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    No comments from mods/admins? Yes, no, maybe, piss off?
  • Reply 3 of 16
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    For now, maybe. I'm sorry, this dropped off my radar. I'll look into it and turn it on if there aren't any evil side effects.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    vox barbaravox barbara Posts: 2,021member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

No comments from mods/admins? Yes, no, maybe, piss off?

PISS OFF!

Ah kidding

BTW, what about simply subscribing the thread you wish to follow? I know it is not the solution you are asking for, but it works reasonably well for the most part.

best
  • Reply 5 of 16
    Sorry for the delay, but I just found and enabled the option.
  • Reply 6 of 16
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

Sorry for the delay, but I just found and enabled the option.

Absolutely awesome! Thank you, Amorph.

Now if only you could fix the bug that resets your last visit every time there is a new thread in News Comments (see this thread)...

Escher
  • Reply 7 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by Escher

[B]Absolutely awesome! Thank you, Amorph.

Now we have to do something about that icon, which is fuuuuuuuuugly.

Quote:

Now if only you could fix the bug that resets your last visit every time there is a new thread in News Comments (see this thread)...

Escher

On it.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    Quote:

On it.

Rock 'n Roll!

Escher
  • Reply 9 of 16
    Quote:

Now we have to do something about that icon, which is fuuuuuuuuugly.

Yeah it's not the most aesthetically pleasing look I've ever seen. It's also odd because there's such a big difference between threads you've posted in but haven't read yet and threads you've posted in but are old.

What about keeping the colors the same (orange = new, blue = old) but putting that dot on them if you've posted in them.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    Quote:

What about keeping the colors the same (orange = new, blue = old) but putting that dot on them if you've posted in them.

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like vBulletin is that clever. It's a great idea, though.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    Quote:

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like vBulletin is that clever. It's a great idea, though.

Amorph: Check out the MacNN boards. As far as I can tell, the icon turns red if I've posted in a thread, and there's a black dot on top of the red dot if there are new posts in that thread since I posted in it.

Escher
  • Reply 12 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by Escher

Amorph: Check out the MacNN boards. As far as I can tell, the icon turns red if I've posted in a thread, and there's a black dot on top of the red dot if there are new posts in that thread since I posted in it.

Wow. An actual reason to visit the MacNN boards. Thanks, I guess.

I'll look into that. Even if it's something that gorgonzola hacked in himself, it's a nice feature.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    Quote:

Oh, I thought you were referring above to the ugly icons, and that the icons could be changed. That's all I was saying.

Thanks for you work and time.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    Quote:

Oh, I thought you were referring above to the ugly icons, and that the icons could be changed. That's all I was saying.

They can be changed, but it appeared in the Preferences that there was only room for one icon for "folder with dot on it."

Now that I'm aware of the MacNN solution I'll give that a more serious look.

Thanks for the suggestions.
  • Reply 15 of 16
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    I like the new dot feature.

Unfortunately it might be the same effect as saving incoming phone numbers to my cell phone - I might never need to remember (threads I posted in/phone numbers, respectively).

How much less can I use my memory?
  • Reply 16 of 16
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    Amorph it IS possible to have the "dot" appear with both colors...

way back before the "split" and subsequent security sweep the old images had both the new/old and posted/virgin identifiers...

see above:

Quote:

oh and the icon color was the same... (blue or yellow)

the extra identifier was the folder being open just a little bit...

worked well...

any chance we could get a solution like that?