Kerry should resign from Senate

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
His abysmal record for senate votes, and the fact that he is occupying a seat that is essentially impotent with his campaign in full swing, he should resign his post to allow his former constituents a proper accounting for. Be a man.

http://www.drudgereport.com/flash.htm

Also, he is making a fool of himself and his colleges may feel some relief if he did:

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...2957&printer=1

Where am I going wrong?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Then maybe Bush should resign too?
  • Reply 2 of 21
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    How funny. In something I can only take as a coincidence Bush just released an ad with the same message

• Reply 3 of 21
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

Excellent answer.

Next question : can someone give me a good reason for not locking this thread ?
  • Reply 4 of 21
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

Thread killer.
  • Reply 5 of 21
    naplesxnaplesx Posts: 3,743member
    Bush is still performing his job and he also has a person with just that purpose in case he cannot... VP Cheney.

kerry could at least make an effort to do his job or resign for the betterment of his own constituents.
  • Reply 6 of 21
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by NaplesX

Bush is still performing his job and he also has a person with just that purpose in case he cannot... VP Cheney.

kerry could at least make an effort to do his job or resign for the betterment of his own constituents.

In most democratics countries, politicians in campaign don't resign of their current job, weither they are secretary of state, senator, deputy, governor or (vice) president.

Now if he is elected, he will have to give his seat, and I bet he will be happy to give it.

You have perfectly the right to be a Bush supporter or a Kerry hater, or whatever you want, but your argument do not stand.
  • Reply 7 of 21
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    The man is on the campaign trail to become President of the United States. Yes it takes a lot of time to campaign and yes, it means missing votes in the United States Senate. But remember that the last few times that John Kerry has been on the Senate floor, Republican Senators have intentionally blocked votes on the issues using procedural delays until Kerry leaves.

I live in range of the Boston media outlets and work in Massachusetts, and not once have I heard anyone say that John Kerry should resign because he is on the campaign trail. If the people of Massachusetts aren't concerned, why are you?
  • Reply 8 of 21
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Powerdoc

Excellent answer.

Because it's a real issue worth discussing.
  • Reply 9 of 21
    jimmacjimmac Posts: 11,898member
    If ever there was a reason to lock a thread.....

Desperate, desperate, desperate.

They're trying like crazy now to find something, anything on Kerry.
  • Reply 10 of 21
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    It is a real issue. Doll resigned when he ran. Kerry has been missing a lot of votes. So ... is he representing his constituents or not?
  • Reply 11 of 21
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    The problem is, even if Kerry spent more time in Washington trying to attend votes, the Republican leadership would just delay them to keep him off of the campaign trail. So Kerry should resign from the Senate just because his opponents are preventing him from voting? I doubt his constituents who elected him would like that option either.

Massachusetts law also states that if Kerry resigns, there would be a special election for the seat instead of one being appointed by the Governor, and that would leave Massachusetts with only ONE Senator, most likely until November. That means that the people of MA would be served even less.....
  • Reply 12 of 21
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Quote:

His abysmal record for senate votes, and the fact that he is occupying a seat that is essentially impotent with his campaign in full swing, he should resign his post to allow his former constituents a proper accounting for. Be a man.

http://www.drudgereport.com/flash.htm

Also, he is making a fool of himself and his colleges may feel some relief if he did:

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...2957&printer=1

Where am I going wrong?

Man, I completely agree. Totally.

Bush and Cheney should resign, too, because their abysmal record in office plus the way they've left the oval office effectively impotent with the campaign in full swing. BushCo should vacate the premises forthwith and allow their constituents a proper account for. They should be men.
  • Reply 13 of 21
    naplesxnaplesx Posts: 3,743member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Fran441

The man is on the campaign trail to become President of the United States. Yes it takes a lot of time to campaign and yes, it means missing votes in the United States Senate. But remember that the last few times that John Kerry has been on the Senate floor, Republican Senators have intentionally blocked votes on the issues using procedural delays until Kerry leaves.

I live in range of the Boston media outlets and work in Massachusetts, and not once have I heard anyone say that John Kerry should resign because he is on the campaign trail. If the people of Massachusetts aren't concerned, why are you?

This happened once to prove the point. Talk about a chinese circle.
  • Reply 14 of 21
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

No. This is a very common practice, including Bush not being willing to leave his post in Texas during the 2000 election.
  • Reply 15 of 21
    burningwheelburningwheel Posts: 1,827member
    didn't edwards resign when he ran for president? kerry should have a long time ago
  • Reply 16 of 21
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

COME ON, the last thing we need is a former senator on unemployment when he looses the election...
  • Reply 17 of 21
    Kerry and Edwards are going to lose because we can't think of anything else.

OUT THE DOOR IN 2004! ( REVENGE FOR AL GORE )
  • Reply 18 of 21
    Quote:

You have perfectly the right to be a Bush supporter or a Kerry hater, or whatever you want, but your argument do not stand.

Your wording was quite interesting! Was this intentional to give the impression that you are a Bush supporter AND a Kerry hater?

• Reply 19 of 21
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jimmac

Kerry and Edwards are going to lose because we can't think of anything else.

OUT THE DOOR IN 2004! ( REVENGE FOR AL GORE )

You mean revenge for Gore trying to steal a state that never once had him ahead in the vote count. Hmmmm....
  • Reply 20 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by SDW2001

You mean revenge for Gore trying to steal a state that never once had him ahead in the vote count. Hmmmm....

Revenge for not enough of us turning out to vote since the election was so close. It won't be that way this time. Bush has made himself way too controversial to ignore.

OUT THE DOOR IN 2004!