Talking to PC with MSN

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Is there any way to do this? It is the only thing that gives me PC envy (apart from the lack of a decent Exchange client).

D.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    sport73sport73 Posts: 438member
    Quote:

Originally posted by doronski

Is there any way to do this? It is the only thing that gives me PC envy (apart from the lack of a decent Exchange client).

D.

Are you talking about a Chat client for MSN? Just go to Microsoft Mactopia

www.mactopia.com and download the client. Same as it is on Windows.

If that's not what you need, please explain.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    rlindemanrlindeman Posts: 39member
    Try this, handles AIM, ICQ, Yahoo!, IRC, MSN and Jabber. Best of all it's free and it's on Apples download page.

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macos...chat/fire.html
  • Reply 3 of 13
    rlindemanrlindeman Posts: 39member
    This one appears to have a better GUI,same features, but it's shareware. Unsure of cost.

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macos...t/proteus.html
  • Reply 4 of 13
    doronskidoronski Posts: 4member
    Thanks for the replies but I did literally mean talk as in voice. PC to PC MSN voice is amazing but there does not seem to be a mac client that will do it.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Not yet to my knowledge. Keep your eyes on AMSN though.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    broso007broso007 Posts: 7member
    Ok ok here is the REAL thing:

DMSN - Java based, a bit slow but lots of features.. MSN buddy pics, own emoticons, and they were working on webcam support.

AMSN - MSN buddy pics, own emoticons, abit CPU hungry sometimes.

Adium - MSN buddy pics, yahoo +msn +icq + aol .. really good

All these are FREE
  • Reply 7 of 13
    how could you be envious of MSN voice? ichat voice/video is so much easier and better, works with the new AIM, and in Tiger will support 4 way video and 10 way audio.

MSN sucks. USE ichat AV and adium
  • Reply 8 of 13
    Quote:

how could you be envious of MSN voice? ichat voice/video is so much easier and better, works with the new AIM, and in Tiger will support 4 way video and 10 way audio.

Except it doesn't... I've tried my hardest to even get ichat to talk with PC aim (voice) and it won't work, not even on the computer right next to me (firewalls down and everything). Also doesn't work for any of my friends (who have pc's). But the PC can voice chat.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    Well i never tried voice, but i've tried one-way video with a PC and it worked fine.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ichiban_jay

Except it doesn't... I've tried my hardest to even get ichat to talk with PC aim (voice) and it won't work, not even on the computer right next to me (firewalls down and everything). Also doesn't work for any of my friends (who have pc's). But the PC can voice chat.

and I have also tried this without success.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    playmakerplaymaker Posts: 511member
    theres a PC chat program called Gaim that handles everything under the sun. I use it at work and absolutely love the interface. can someone familiar tell me where I can find a client that offers the same type of interface as gaim for Mac. I like iChat but dont like having all the windows seperate, gaim uses tabs. Any advice is appreciated
  • Reply 12 of 13
    ever tried adium? Seriously a nifty chat client. Very very minamalist if you want it to be. Can use tabs also. Supports many services. You can create beautiful windowless buddylists. Still in heavy development, and missing several features like audio/video, some file transfer stuff, but otherwise it is such a pleasure to use and extremely customizable Interface.

Its my favorite chat client on any platform, as long as i don't need to do video or audio.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    doronskidoronski Posts: 4member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Playmaker

theres a PC chat program called Gaim that handles everything under the sun. I use it at work and absolutely love the interface. can someone familiar tell me where I can find a client that offers the same type of interface as gaim for Mac. I like iChat but dont like having all the windows seperate, gaim uses tabs. Any advice is appreciated

Thanks

However, the problem I am still having is Voice mac to Voice PC. The text side of things is a no brainer.