.Mac drive size

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
So now that GMail is right around the corner offering 1 GB of free email and SpyMac is doing the same, don't you think it's time Apple increased the size of the .Mac drives and mailbox size limit? On top of this Tiger will be using the .Mac iDisk space for syncronization of many different applications which will eat up even more space. What is a fair amount of for Apple to offer for the $99 yearly fee (right now it's 115 MB, 15 for email and 100 for the iDisk)?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    jasonfjjasonfj Posts: 567member
    Hotmail are just about to up there free storage to 250mb with 10mb attachments, so Apple better do something.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    vwguyvwguy Posts: 7member
    I think that 1GB combined storage for email and iDisk would be a good value. But of course, I would accept more if they offered it.

I encourage everyone who wants to see the size limit increased to (nicely) give feedback to Apple on this:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/mac/tm.html
  • Reply 3 of 14
    f1turbof1turbo Posts: 257member
    I get 2 GB from Yahoo and 10 MB atch for $30 a year. Of course, .mac is more than just storage space, but still--think it should be at least in the 1-2 GB range. Hotmail has 20 MB atch for their premium package.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    .Mac should definitely be on par with Yahoo, 1GB should be standard.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    talksense101talksense101 Posts: 1,738member
    Quote:

Originally posted by VWGuy

I encourage everyone who wants to see the size limit increased to (nicely) give feedback to Apple on this:

Done.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by VWGuy

Thanks for the link, feedback sent.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    quaremquarem Posts: 254member
    I have become increasing frustrated with the space limits on dot mac email and the iDisk. With all the free email services offering more space, and quality web-hosting dropping in price all the time I wonder how many people will renew their dot mac if Apple doesn't do something to compete. I am unsure if I will renew this year if things stay the way they are now.

Could I really give up syncing though??? \
  • Reply 8 of 14
    The only reason I've stayed aboard this long is the vast number of web sites to which I'm registered with my .mac email address and the system integration, which is nice. I'm really starting to question the value of .mac, however.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    They really haven't innovated with dot mac like they promised they would. It's sad because it could be a truly great thing if they gave it more attention and took it more seriously.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    ibook911ibook911 Posts: 607member
    Yes, .mac is a great idea, but it needs to increase storage for email and idisk.

$100 per year is a lot of money, and it should buy more space than we are getting. For the time being, I will continue to subscribe. However, I sure hope they realize the customers need to be given a bit more soon.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    I say keep iDisk space amd mail space seprate, if you get a flood of spam, it could eat up your iDisk, so I would say for 99$ a year - 500MB email and 2 GB iDisk, who NEEDS more than 500 mb of email anyway, a GB just for mail is obserd, if you filled up a gigabyet of email space, you would kill most any mail client trying to recive it, not to mention the hour+ it would take to download on a cable/dsl connection.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    reidreid Posts: 190member
    Quote:

Originally posted by F1Turbo

...Of course, .mac is more than just storage space, but still--think it should be at least in the 1-2 GB range...

Correct. They're not really competing with Yahoo! and GMail, because what people are asking for here is really more storage space on their iDisk, isn't it? .Mac Mail really doesn't need more storage space; 99% of users are probably storing their mail locally in Mail.app.

I'd love to see that kind of disk quota for iPhoto albums and iMovies, but it's not really the same thing. Mail storage is cheap to offer, because disks are cheap and you only access one little message at a time. The iDisk storage space is really just a fancy form of Web hosting, which requires a lot of expensive bandwidth to go along with the cheap storage space. Compare the iDisk standard storage limit with similarly priced Web hosting plans, and, with a few exceptions (e.g. GoDaddy), .Mac's dollar-to-megabyte ratio doesn't look too bad.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    It's not just the amount of iDisk space for web-hosting that bugs me, but the lack of more advanced server side features like web-site logs, PHP, Perl, and MySQL. For the most part these are pretty standard features on most web-hosting packages.

While I do not think Apple needs to provide all of these features to be competitive with dot mac, some sort of dynamic page creation technology would be nice.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by Reid

Correct. They're not really competing with Yahoo! and GMail, because what people are asking for here is really more storage space on their iDisk, isn't it? .Mac Mail really doesn't need more storage space; 99% of users are probably storing their mail locally in Mail.app.

I'd love to see that kind of disk quota for iPhoto albums and iMovies, but it's not really the same thing. Mail storage is cheap to offer, because disks are cheap and you only access one little message at a time. The iDisk storage space is really just a fancy form of Web hosting, which requires a lot of expensive bandwidth to go along with the cheap storage space. Compare the iDisk standard storage limit with similarly priced Web hosting plans, and, with a few exceptions (e.g. GoDaddy), .Mac's dollar-to-megabyte ratio doesn't look too bad.

I would love more email space. I am not always checking my mail at one computer and being able to store all my email on a server for universal access would be great. Having every email I've ever sent accessible from any internet terminal would be a dream come true for me. No more, "I need that email from...crap that's on my home machine."