Temperature build-up in laptops...

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
How high should CPU temperatures get (assuming you have a G3/G4 model that supports temperature reading and you have one of those CPU temp software monitor installed)? After that short experience I had with a certain G3 iBook, I am leery of overheating stuff on the G4 iBook I have now. Yes, I know I shouldn't be worrying about it as long as the normal ventilation is allowed, and the fan should come on if it gets really hot. ...BUT that should have been true with the G3 iBook, as well. So I remain leery of throwing caution completely to the wind and letting my lovely lil iBook fend for itself while pushing it to arbitrary extremes (guess I have been traumatized).

Anyway, I have noted high-load temperatures up to 64 deg C, and minor/idle loads creating a baseline of 52-54 deg. Should I expect that even higher temperatures are tolerable while playing a heavy graphics game? Still have yet to hear the fan come on in this thing (the one time the fan came on in that G3 iBook I had, was the last time, before it self-destructed)... 60+ deg seems rather hot, no? What max temperatures are still deemed safe?

What sorts of readings have you guys observed in your laptop useage? (please call-out your CPU grade/speed in your reply) I'm on a G4 iBook 800 Mhz, btw.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    republicrepublic Posts: 168member
    I also have an iBook G4 at 800 megs, but I've always had Temperature Monitor work in degrees Fahrenheit. With some sort of cooling in the room, 100-110F is the norm, 120F is a bit high in this case, but not uncommon. 120F is the norm without AC functioning. After a night of CD ripping, the highest temp I've seen it push was 150F; I would not dare to allow for more than that in heavy load cases.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    daveleedavelee Posts: 245member
    The fan in my Rev A 12" 867 PB comes on all the time these days.

I think it is because the chip (the 7455) runs hotter than the 7457 in later models. My temp readings are similar, it idles at around 50 C and has got up to over 65 C before. I thought there was something about the latest OS X update that lowered the tolerance for the fan to come on (more often).

Makes me hope that the G5 PB will be engineered to allow efficient heat distribution above many other things...
  • Reply 3 of 4
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,562member
    Obviously, something was wrong with your original G3 PB. I have one that I know has a problem with the heat sink. When I play QT movies it slowly edges up in temperature, the fan comes on and when it hits somewhere around 90C it shuts off. If I place a fan near it (hair dryer with the heat turned off) it can run continuously.

My G5 PB Al runs standard around 50C. I tried loading up the processor (running several QT movies and using iTunes). The processor was 90% busy but the processor temperature only went up a few degrees. Perhaps after a long time it would go higher. However, the case became quite warm. I was surprised. I expected a higher CPU temperature. I guess the heat sinks and such are doing a good job. Also, I think that some of the generated heat comes from the GPU and hard drive.

The fan on this one comes on once in a while when the CPU is very busy.

You can get a simple laptop stand with fans underneath that are powered by USB.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    my 1 ghz 12" powerbook also gets hot without cooling. But I bought a nice cheap 8 dollar laptop cooling pad, it keeps my laptop at about 117 degrees during normal use, the temp never ever goes above 125, even when playing full screen 3d games or burning cd's. But the thing I like the most is that the laptop's fan never does come on (I don't want that fan to go on too much, don't want it to die on me and shortening it's usability). Also, even though the cpu temp is about 117, the wrist area never is warmer then my body temperature. When I don't use the pad and have it lay flat on the wooden desk, when it hits 117 my wrist gets very uncomfortable with the warmth radiating from the wrist area.

http://www.hardwarecooling.com/produ...oducts_id/226?