A,O. the murky waters for A.I.? Sharks!!

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I viewed Apple Insider for a year before signing up and getting into the forums. My experience in other forums has been on and off because of the level of ***-holed-ness displayed by many of the members who have nothing better to do than to piss in someone elses cheerios.

For example: theres a site in the Nawlins area www.nola.com which has a forum that is (from what I can tell) not moderated, poorly set up, and occupied by sharks (sharks=people who wait for a post that they can jump all over for no rational reason).

A very close friend of mine recently went to this site and posted a question looking for some locals in-the-know to provide some insight, well it went something like this...

(alex) Hi, I live in Slidell and sometimes take the Irish Bayou bridge to the south shore on my way to class. recently I noticed that midway across there is a radar looking device that has been installed and as I pass there appears to be a light that flashes into the direction of oncoming traffic. Does anyone know if this is a police radar, or if there is some type of survey going on? Thanks -Alex

(Shark 1) You ****ing yuppy northshore momma's boy why dont you slow the **** down before you kill someone instead of waiting to find out if your gonna get a god ****d ticket

(Shark 2) whine whine whine all you Northshore people do is whine. Why dont you just keep that $50,000 BMW your parents probably bought you when you graduated High School in your driveway, then you wouldent have to worry about getting a ticket FRAT BOY!

(Shark 3) just take the I10 bridge if you're worried about it you ****ing *****!!

(Alex) Thanks for the advice guys.

I sometimes feel that if there is any place on AI that would be considered the murky waters AO is it. While I enjoy a logical debate that offers good insight, I hate Sharks. I really like the forums here and wanted to speak my peace on bad experiences that I look out for. Anyway, just an observation. Keep up the good work.

*Edit by Fran441- Edited for language*

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    No idea why the filters didn't pick up on some of your post, my edits only have to do with what was replaced by ****.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Its the only place where you have political debates here so its the magnet for heated discussions. After all there is only so many people who takes a debate about, say, Apples quality control personally. If you look at macnn and arstechnica they have the same in their "open forum".

Its always difficult to draw the line for when something becomes too much. Normally I play hardball on the issue and I see no wrong in that. But when someone do the same to me I often misunderstand it and take it personally untill I read it again and see that the other person actually didn´t actually attack me but my arguments. I think that if people always did that (read the posts one more time and read what words say, not what they think they say) many accidents would be prevented.

The times I react like you describe it has been against very few who brought it on himself, like being beyond reach for logical arguments or someone who is presenting uninformed views like they were a gospel. And even when I make those semi-attacks I think of the time when I gave another members here a VERY hard time, someone who turned out to be an extremly cool guy, just with different views than mine.

This weeks episode of "Confessions of a senior AI´er" was brought to you by Domino´s Pizza and Jolly Cola
  • Reply 3 of 8
    jwri004jwri004 Posts: 626member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

Hate the game, not the player

• Reply 4 of 8
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Just admit it. You live in Slidell.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    playmakerplaymaker Posts: 511member
    Quote:

Originally posted by midwinter

• Reply 6 of 8
    playmakerplaymaker Posts: 511member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Fran441

No idea why the filters didn't pick up on some of your post, my edits only have to do with what was replaced by ****.

sorry, didnt mean to offend anyone by that just trying to bring up a point I found valid.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by midwinter

Hey whats wrong w/ Slidell??

• Reply 8 of 8
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Quote:

Originally posted by trailmaster308

Hey whats wrong w/ Slidell??

I never had a problem with it when I was living in the general area (over in South MS). That long-assed bridge over Lake P is just the proper length to listen to Kashmir in its entirety.