Saddam DID seek Uranium According to Senate Commitee

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
It appears that the Buck passing to the CIA is merely to cover this tidbit:

http://ap.tbo.com/ap/breaking/MGB62OSSGWD.html

I am also confused about this report. Was this material already declared or an additional find?:

http://ap.tbo.com/ap/breaking/MGBXS8C3EWD.html

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    sammi josammi jo Posts: 4,634member
    Quote:

Originally posted by NaplesX

I am also confused about this report. Was this material already declared or an additional find?:

This looks highly tenuous. Iraq was under UN sanctions at the time and the possibility of commercial trade with anyone under the table would have been actively sought by the Saddam regime. Niger undoubtedly has other commercial trading and resources, besides uranium, that Iraq would have jumped at, given half a chance. It is unlikely that Iraq in 1999 would have been actively seeking yellowcake, because they had no means of doing anything with it. Iraq's nuclear infrastructure in 1999 had been inspected, destroyed, dismantled, and abandoned, it was, and is all but non-existent. Unless the armies of searchers looking for WMD suddenly come across advanced, clandestine, buried atomic facilities in Iraq that nobody knew about, then it looks suspciously that this so-called "revelation" is a red herring.
  • Reply 2 of 18
    auroraaurora Posts: 1,142member
    Quote:

What i find interesting is that Saddam is in jail and Bin Laden is roaming the deserts,which one of these guys attacked us? listening to George the past 4 years you would think it was Saddam.
  • Reply 3 of 18
    jimmacjimmac Posts: 11,898member
    Quote:

Desperate again.

The reason for this war was existing WOMD.
  • Reply 4 of 18
    playmakerplaymaker Posts: 511member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aurora

What i find interesting is that Saddam is in jail and Bin Laden is roaming the deserts,which one of these guys attacked us? listening to George the past 4 years you would think it was Saddam.

Not really sure this is a valid point because Saddam was much more accessable in the sense he was confined to an area where his own people hated him. Bin Laden on the other hand is roaming around the wild wild west and as the soviets found out in the 70's its tremendously difficult to locate and destroy the enemy in afghanastan. I agree there needs to be more of a concentrated effort on Bin Laden (if he's still alive) but I'll revert to my UN agrument here and say that if the UN was doing more in Iraq there would be much more resources available to hunt down Bin Laden. Saddam was certainly one piece to the puzzle and Bin Laden is still a missing piece.
  • Reply 5 of 18
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    When are you people going to realize that Saddam is innocent of any wrong doing?
  • Reply 6 of 18
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

When are you people going to realize that Saddam is innocent of any wrong doing?

Yes, Scott. that is precisely what is being argued.
  • Reply 7 of 18
    naplesxnaplesx Posts: 3,743member
    Quote:

Actaully...

What I have learned from the threads here in AO is:

SURE, SH was a shady guy. Sure he was a bit insane. Sure the guy had a penchant for mass graves. Sure he lied and covered up his activities visa vi WMD. Sure he ignored UN resolution after another. Sure his sons were even worse than him every level. Sure he endeavored to enslave other Muslims by forcefully annexing their country. Sure he openly supported terrorist groups and had terrorist summits right in his country. Sure his thirty year reign has accounted for the largest amount of muslim deaths. Sure he cheated his own people out of food and medicine. Sure he lent a hand in corrupting the world peace organization.

Sure, but Bush told US there were huge stockpiles of WMD and that has turned out to be wrong, so therefore he lied and is therefore so much more worse than SH. Abu Graib is just further proof that he lied.

Any good that has come from this war is not important. The only thing that matters now is proving that BUSH LIED and getting him out of office. BUSH LIED about everything since he was born. BUSH LIED about knowing about 9/11. BUSH is a dunce and can't even form sentences properly. But, somehow he managed to fool every lawmaker and leader around the world into looking past the obvious LIES.

Did I miss anything?

PS. Did I mention, BUSH LIED. These are the lessons of AO.
  • Reply 8 of 18
    auroraaurora Posts: 1,142member
    Though iam glad we got rid of the murdering thug Saddam it shouldnt have cost 1,000 lives and 200 billion dollars! As i stated before it was Bin laden and a bunch of well organized gang members. Bush took us to war under lies,spin, and Cheneys Bullshit. America shouldnt ever go to war under falsehoods. who got the rewards? Cheneys Haliburton. who is running the show? i would say Cheney. who will pay for this crap? the American Tax payer screwed again. who is going to be voted out? yep Cheney and his lets sell the troops a case of coke for $45.00 Haliburton. meanwhile Bin Laden is still giving orders and Bush is eating crow. sorry but these two guys suck and have used the American people. It will be many a year before i ever vote republican again.
  • Reply 9 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aurora

Though iam glad we got rid of the murdering thug Saddam it shouldnt have cost 1,000 lives and 200 billion dollars! As i stated before it was Bin laden and a bunch of well organized gang members. Bush took us to war under lies,spin, and Cheneys Bullshit. America shouldnt ever go to war under falsehoods. who got the rewards? Cheneys Haliburton. who is running the show? i would say Cheney. who will pay for this crap? the American Tax payer screwed again. who is going to be voted out? yep Cheney and his lets sell the troops a case of coke for $45.00 Haliburton. meanwhile Bin Laden is still giving orders and Bush is eating crow. sorry but these two guys suck and have used the American people. It will be many a year before i ever vote republican again.

The $45 case of coke story you quote is false. Haliburton has stopped payment to one of it's subs that have been found to be abusing the situation. Choose to believe otherwise if it helps support your false views, if you want.
  • Reply 10 of 18
    Quote:

Actaully...

SURE, SH was a shady guy. Sure he was a bit insane. Sure the guy had a penchant for mass graves. Sure he lied and covered up his activities visa vi WMD. Sure he ignored UN resolution after another. Sure his sons were even worse than him every level. Sure he endeavored to enslave other Muslims by forcefully annexing their country. Sure he openly supported terrorist groups and had terrorist summits right in his country. Sure his thirty year reign has accounted for the largest amount of muslim deaths. Sure he cheated his own people out of food and medicine. Sure he lent a hand in corrupting the world peace organization.

Sure, but Bush told US there were huge stockpiles of WMD and that has turned out to be wrong, so therefore he lied and is therefore so much more worse than SH. Abu Graib is just further proof that he lied.

Any good that has come from this war is not important. The only thing that matters now is proving that BUSH LIED and getting him out of office. BUSH LIED about everything since he was born. BUSH LIED about knowing about 9/11. BUSH is a dunce and can't even form sentences properly. But, somehow he managed to fool every lawmaker and leader around the world into looking past the obvious LIES.

Did I miss anything?

Nope I think you've got it. Except that if he didn't lie he was incompetent.

No buck passing now. He's the president and I believe it was another president who coined the phrase " The buck stops here ".
  • Reply 11 of 18
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    Quote:

Actaully...

Did I miss anything?

Did you miss anything?

apparently you missed alot.

If good comes from this war that is good . . . I hope it does, it better, it sure hasn't been.

I for one, think that we could have dealt with Saddam in a different way . . . in a longer time frame, with a real coalition, and real information . . . not information packaged perfectly to fit an agenda that is nearly word for word - action for action, that of a previously stated, documented plan . . . a plan to put an American presence in the ME, a plan that predated 911, and stated that all we needed was some sort of 'event' that would allow us to make our move . . . . not in a manner that is completely unrelated to reality with regards to post-war planning, and even the simple issue of what the ME is really like, and not in a manner that runs in complete contrast to what the US was supposed to be about: notions and 'values' such as truth, and democracy (democracy is impossible when your leaders use lies to get you to act) and not preemption .
  • Reply 12 of 18
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Actaully...

Did I miss anything?

You forgot to mention, how US is popular in muslim countries now. You also forgot to mention that for the first time of his history US did a pre-emptive war, and he did it for a false reason : WOMD wich was a liar.
  • Reply 13 of 18
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Whenever it's true. But since all you ever do around here is lie I guess we can't take your word for it.

Ban Scott finally.
  • Reply 14 of 18
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bunge

Whenever it's true. But since all you ever do around here is lie I guess we can't take your word for it.

Ban Scott finally.

Can't take a little sarcasm going the other way? Gotta shut me up? Limit my speech because it offends you?
  • Reply 15 of 18
    Quote:

Can't take a little sarcasm going the other way? Gotta shut me up? Limit my speech because it offends you?

Naw keep going. I like looking into deep holes.
  • Reply 16 of 18
    The senate report says that the yellow-cake issue is one of the few issues that is still open, and that Wilson's report changed no-one's mind inside the intel community. It appears that his was one among many accounts.
  • Reply 17 of 18
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    Quote:

A quick dose of RTFA might cure your confusion.
  • Reply 18 of 18
    sammi josammi jo Posts: 4,634member
    Quote:

The senate report says that the yellow-cake issue is one of the few issues that is still open, and that Wilson's report changed no-one's mind inside the intel community. It appears that his was one among many accounts.

http://www.talkingpointsmemo.com/arc..._04.php#003144

hmmmmm....