My Doom III-delay conspiracy theory

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Exhibit A:

Doom III's shipping date got pushed to August recently, perhaps as recent as SpaceShipOne made one successful trip beyond the atmosphere. It will have to make a repeat trip within two weeks of the first trip to win the X-Prize.

Exhibit B:

John Carmack, head coder for id software, makers of Doom, is also the president of a start-up by the name of Armadillo Aerospace. Armadillo is one of a dozen other R&D firms vying to win the X-prize.

I think you can see where I'm going with this.

Is it possible that the delays have to do with an increased focus in succeeding with Armadillo, and a decreased focus in completing Doom III?

I know it's probably not true, but discuss anyway.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    Haha... A spaceship with a BIG Doom III banner behind.. Priceless!!
  • Reply 2 of 15
    auroraaurora Posts: 1,142member
    I doubt it, John has pretty muched let the day to day operations of id be handled by its staff. Im glad you ask the question but my biggest problem with id is no official announcement of the Mac version, nothing on the home page about a mac version, nothing from the pre order sites of a mac version. I wish they would have this info at their page saying at least a mac version will be available such and such time from this person or that person. Anyone with recent Doom3 news for mac please speak up! I would like to see a free copy of doom3 with every Mac purchase . now that would be ultracool.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    majormattmajormatt Posts: 1,077member
    Doom...blah
  • Reply 4 of 15
    ionyzionyz Posts: 491member
    The official Doom 3 site (www.doom3.com) doesn't mention any platform. Feels more like a movie trailer site then anything of substance (release dates, system requirements, etc).
  • Reply 5 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by MajorMatt

Doom...blah

There are millions who would disagree with you including me.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aurora

There are millions who would disagree with you including me.

And me.

Now excuse me while I walk to the newspaper office for a job to pay for my 6800.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    rogue27rogue27 Posts: 607member
    I thought I heard a while back that Graeme Devine left id software. Since he was the one who was doing the mac builds before, it may have some impact on the release of a mac version.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    During the fiasco I remember hearing Id would still offer Mac versions of their products, I believe they may have a Mac coder but they are focused entirely on Doom 3. Which sucks because it left Quake 3 players with a beta patch that tends to crash and has audio problems
  • Reply 9 of 15
    concordconcord Posts: 312member
    Y'know, it's kinda scary but I can't find a *single* recent reference, Mac demonstration or even an offical comment on the Mac version of Doom III. In a recent interview with Todd Hollenshead of id he mentions finishing up the PC version, then working on finishing up the X-Box version - nothing more.

Now I'm sure they will eventually release it on the Mac, but I'm getting that sinking feeling that there may be a long wait ahead.

C.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by Concord

Y'know, it's kinda scary but I can't find a *single* recent reference, Mac demonstration or even an offical comment on the Mac version of Doom III. In a recent interview with Todd Hollenshead of id he mentions finishing up the PC version, then working on finishing up the X-Box version - nothing more.

Now I'm sure they will eventually release it on the Mac, but I'm getting that sinking feeling that there may be a long wait ahead.

C.

Well last I heard they are aiming for simultaneous release. There have been 2 (IIRC) demonstrations of Doom 3 at Apple expos. Recently you might not hear about it because both the Linux and Mac markets are unimportant to both press and gamers. Hollenshead just commented on the release of the computer version (PC) and console versions (Xbox).

If we have to wait, so be it, nothing new there. But there is little doubt it will be released as long as Carmack's principles hold with multi-platform goodness and not always looking up towards the skies.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by Concord

C.

This is a problem, If Apple was smart and they arent they would have a division whatever helping port stuff to Mac and getting involved with triple A titles to make sure the Mac user gets what he wants. We need some word from id instead of the mystery all the time. we need some invlovement from Apple like hey here is a few hundred thousand dollars for the mac version etc. new titles mean people getting new hardware to run them. is anybody home over at Apple? sometimes i wonder.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    concordconcord Posts: 312member
    Quote:

Originally posted by IonYz

Well last I heard they are aiming for simultaneous release. There have been 2 (IIRC) demonstrations of Doom 3 at Apple expos.

Any of this happen within the last year? Two? Three?

There's been nary a peep that I can find since the original Geforce 3 demos at MacWorld (and I think one after that)... about 4 years ago.

I do expect that they will release it on the Mac, I've never suggested otherwise, but the silence (so close to the release) is deafening. id's not saying anything, Apple isn't saying anything or demoing it and I would think that they would want to do a little of that to help push slumping PM sales.

Quote:

Originally posted by Aurora:

This is a problem, If Apple was smart and they arent they would have a division whatever helping port stuff to Mac and getting involved with triple A titles to make sure the Mac user gets what he wants. We need some word from id instead of the mystery all the time. we need some invlovement from Apple like hey here is a few hundred thousand dollars for the mac version etc. new titles mean people getting new hardware to run them. is anybody home over at Apple? sometimes i wonder.

I hear ya... It's a little early to panic yet as we don't know anything for sure. In a couple of weeks or so all should be made clear.

C.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Union Aerospace Corporation.....Armadillo Aerospace Corporation

Connection?

Anyways, as of now, the Doom3.com site doesn't even reflect that it'll be out for PC, so I wouldn't panic, the lack of info is probably a result of the chaos surrounding the last-minute Doom III development.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    Doom 3 confirmed for Mac OS X.

Looks like the absence of Graeme hit their Mac development hard. We are in for a wait. \
  • Reply 15 of 15
    /mandolux//mandolux/ Posts: 648member
    An exclusive PC Gamer review of the title reportedly recommends having a 1.5-2GHz processor PC in order to run the game properly, so it's likely the Mac version will need optimization to ensure the title is playable on the greatest number of Macs possible.

Bummer. I guess my PowerBook G3 400 with 768MB is a bit outdated