Open Office on Mac?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Hi.

I'm going to be getting my first mac soon, and I'm trying to decide if I will buy Microsoft Office for Mac at the same time. I use the MS Office suite on all my PCs, but I don't always want to go to my PC to work in word, excel, powerpoint, etc.

How does Open Office work on Mac? Is it decent? I've played with Open Office in Windows, and I use it regularly in linux.

Thanks for any thoughts/opinions.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    faust9faust9 Posts: 1,335member
    You'll need to get x11 for mac to run OO but other than that its the same as the Linux verson. I've used it a few times. If you get an iBook, it'll come with appleworks 6 which is function, but antiquated. You can always get office for Mac if OO doesn't suit you, or you can learn LaTex then you'll be cooking with gas.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    1337_5l4xx0r1337_5l4xx0r Posts: 1,558member
    If you are from linux then Abiword (being ported to OS X) may be of interest to you. Download the beta; it's pretty slick IMHO.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    majormattmajormatt Posts: 1,077member
    Appleworks 6.2.9 does 99% of what you need or...

Try

http://www.neooffice.org/

It's a port of X11 to run on OSX natively
  • Reply 4 of 9
    ionyzionyz Posts: 491member
    Depends on if you create or modify. If all I did was create my own papers/charts/presentations from scratch AppleWorks would be fine. Most my job entails working with other peoples media, and when I don't have a copy of Office installed I go with OpenOffice.org.

YMMV and all that.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    r3dx0rr3dx0r Posts: 201member
    a native version of koffice is in the works too.

if you dont mind using x11, openoffice should be ok since koffice seems to be in early development stages.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    ibook911ibook911 Posts: 607member
    Does Appleworks come with PowerBooks too, or only ibooks?

I will without question get Office for Mac, but I might wait a month. By the way, Amazon.com has the Student/Teacher edition of Office for Mac $15 cheaper than Apple.com, and free shipping. Plus, no tax for me at Amazon.com. Good deal.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    ionyzionyz Posts: 491member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ibook911

Does Appleworks come with PowerBooks too, or only ibooks?

AppleWorks only ships with consumer-level hardware (iBook, eMac, iMac).
  • Reply 8 of 9
    ibook911ibook911 Posts: 607member
    Quote:

Originally posted by IonYz

AppleWorks only ships with consumer-level hardware (iBook, eMac, iMac).

Good to know. Is there any other software that is absent on the professional machines, and on the consumer machines? Or the other way around?
  • Reply 9 of 9
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ibook911

Good to know. Is there any other software that is absent on the professional machines, and on the consumer machines? Or the other way around?

Pro machines have OmniOutliner for note-taking and list-making, OmniGraffle for making flow charts and such, and Art Directors Toolkit, which does graphics-related number conversion and shows colors. I use OmniOutliner and have found it to be a very useful piece of software. OmniGraffle seems to be, but I haven't had use for it yet.