Problems with Windows media (streaming)

:-):-)
Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Hi all

Whenever I try to open windows media files, I get a message saying "cannot open file. Verify that the path and filename are correct and try again." or I get a message that this is not supported by my operativ system (10.2.8 ) even though I have media player 9.0 installed.

Anybody have a solution for this?

thanks,

:-)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    You might be trying to open Windows Media 9 files... unfortunately while Microsoft calls their latest offering for MacOS "Windows Media 9 Player" it actually is missing a number of the important codecs that make WM9, and it is missing all of the new Digital Rights Management code... in other-words it is essentially Windows Media 8... For example it cannot take the standard stream from with WM9 streamer...

The other possibility is that you are not referencing the stream correctly, and your description of the error message is a bit to vague.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    kelibkelib Posts: 740member
    Try VLC Player instead.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    kelib: are you sure that VLC handles Windows Media Files? I don't think it does. Windows Media Player does handle some of the same formats that VLC handles, but that does not mean that VLC handles WindowsMedia 9.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by Karl Kuehn

kelib: are you sure that VLC handles Windows Media Files? I don't think it does. Windows Media Player does handle some of the same formats that VLC handles, but that does not mean that VLC handles WindowsMedia 9.

Not sure but at least it handles AVI, VLC, MPEG, MPEG-2, MPEG-4, DivX, mp3, and various streaming protocols. After downloading it I can open and stream practically everything. Then I have OS X, 10.3.4, maybe that helps as well
  • Reply 5 of 7
    :-):-) Posts: 110member
    Thanks guys. Karl I think you spotted the problem in the first reply.

When using VLC to do streaming video, you type in the url or?
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by :-)

Thanks guys. Karl I think you spotted the problem in the first reply.

When using VLC to do streaming video, you type in the url or?

Exactly, Shift-command-O and type in the URL. If a temp file is already saved on your HD, you can also open the tempfile
  • Reply 7 of 7
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Karl Kuehn

Windows Media 9 is a proprietary Microsoft format. Windows Media Player 9 is required to play it. VLC cannot. VLC can play some WMV files, but those are in older formats, not WM9.