GUI Pistripes?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
The AppleInsider screenshots recently revealed on the "reviews" of Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger features, seem to show a Mac OS X interface where the pinstripes are the way they were in the pre-Panther days.

Is this just the compressed "small file size" nature of the screenshots, or do Apple really like the pinstripes being noticeable, and hard on the eyes? m. \

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by Merovingian

The AppleInsider screenshots recently revealed on the "reviews" of Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger features, seem to show a Mac OS X interface where the pinstripes are the way they were in the pre-Panther days.

Is this just the compressed "small file size" nature of the screenshots, or do Apple really like the pinstripes being noticeable, and hard on the eyes? m. \

I'm not one of the lucky fews would have a copy of Tiger pre-release (), but according to what some friends who've been at the WWDC told me when I asked them about it, the pinstripes remain unchanged in comparison with Panther... relieved?
  • Reply 2 of 15
    jambojambo Posts: 3,036member
    Pinstripes disappear altogether in builds later than the WWDC preview.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jambo

That's rather interesting.

Is the look and feel of the UI moving more toward the color, tone, and elements as seen in the global Spotlight results window? It does seem to me in many ways like the direction that Apple is heading in.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    i really like that look. I hope they give an option tho, because you know there will always be dissenters of change.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    Quote:

How do you know?

Also, I do believe you, for the simple fact that if you take a look at the screenshot, (which isn't really a screenshot at all), and the QuickTime movies of Tiger features, from Apple's website, you'll notice that the menu bar has a nicer "glass" type look, and the Apple menu logo is different.

Does someone care to share a screenshot, or is this only speculation...? m.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    Ditto, I'm curious if "Pinstripes disappear altogether in builds later than the WWDC preview" is based solely on the appearance change of the menu bar, or other as-yet-unseen-by-many changes in the GUI as well.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    mmmn...?
  • Reply 8 of 15
    jwilljwill Posts: 209member
    I dunno, but those screenshots (Apple's site) don't give me any idea of what they're going to end up with for an interface, if they even change it a lot.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    gamringamrin Posts: 114member
    I like the "glass" look of the menu bar in 10.4. I hope they keep it, though I'm not sure about the blue "buttons" on both ends of the menu bar. Does anyone know if Apple's changed the looks of the Finder windows? It seems like if they drop the pinstripes, they'll have a fully industrial look for their OS: metal and glass.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    jambojambo Posts: 3,036member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Hobbes

Ditto, I'm curious if "Pinstripes disappear altogether in builds later than the WWDC preview" is based solely on the appearance change of the menu bar, or other as-yet-unseen-by-many changes in the GUI as well.

Maybe I shouldn't have said "altogether" as inactive windows (non-brushed metal) have pinstripes.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    Who votes for a Shift-Command-3? m.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    >_>>_> Posts: 336member
    Post-WWDC build:

- Xidius
  • Reply 13 of 15
    gavrielgavriel Posts: 175member
    Thank you, Xidius! Could you perhaps supply us with a screengrab that displays the whole menubar? One that shows the new accentuated Apple menu and the Spotlight menu in the same shot?
  • Reply 14 of 15
    Quote:

Maybe I shouldn't have said "altogether" as inactive windows (non-brushed metal) have pinstripes.

And menus, right? And preference windows, sheets, and dialog boxes...? Yeah, that's not quite "altogether."

Quote:

Originally posted by Gavriel

Thank you, Xidius! Could you perhaps supply us with a screengrab that displays the whole menubar? One that shows the new accentuated Apple menu and the Spotlight menu in the same shot?[/B]

It looks exactly like what Apple shows on their preview pages, then: blue capped on each side to accentuate the Apple menu and Spotlight as special menus.

e.g., http://www.apple.com/macosx/tiger/th...ch_finder.html
  • Reply 15 of 15
    Interesting to note that all of the QT movies don't show Aqua style windows... Well, the one's that I've seen anyway.

/me checks apple.com for other movies...

Oh well. m.