This Just In: Indie Labels Coming To iTMS Europe!!!

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Great News... and the tracks are probably already there waiting for posting! Reuters says an anouncement may come as early as tomorrow 7/13/04:

http://biz.yahoo.com/rc/040712/media_apple_1.html

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    That's good news as I hear that the UK is like %25 Indie. Much better than the states. This would be great as I love the Indie spirit.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacsRGood4U

Great News... and the tracks are probably already there waiting for posting! Reuters says an anouncement may come as early as tomorrow 7/13/04:

http://biz.yahoo.com/rc/040712/media_apple_1.html

Wow! That's great news! Just in time for New Music Tuesday .

Dave.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    r3dx0rr3dx0r Posts: 201member
    yay...

now i can finally start buying music
  • Reply 4 of 12
    My understanding was that the Indies weren't happy with accepting the same deal as had been offered to the big labels. Something about Apple being able to raise prices without giving them more cash?

Will be interesting to see if they stuck to their guns and got a better deal, or had to accept the original deal and start getting cash straight away.

A friend works for the marvellously named Earache records, who apparently do 'Grindcore, Death and Black Metal',none of which I really understand (never even heard of grindcore metal, although I assume it's quite loud)

Will see if he has any updates

------

London weather: sunny

Now playing: Ornetter Coleman
  • Reply 5 of 12
    tadunnetadunne Posts: 175member
    Well not much left of tuesday and still no REAL news about this
  • Reply 6 of 12
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    Quote:

My understanding was that the Indies weren't happy with accepting the same deal as had been offered to the big labels. Something about Apple being able to raise prices without giving them more cash?

Nooooooo! Apple wanted a multi year deal that said the LABELS wouldn't increase prices!!!
  • Reply 7 of 12
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    UDATE!

CUPERTINO, Calif., July 21 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Apple(R) today

announced that it has signed licensing agreements with three of the largest

European independent music labels, Beggars Group, Sanctuary Records Group and

V2, adding tens of thousands of additional independent tracks from leading

artists to the iTunes(R) Music Store in the UK, France and Germany. With three

of the most influential independent record labels on board, iTunes Music Store

customers in Europe now have access to an impressive catalog of independent

artists including Basement Jaxx, The Crystal Method, Interpol, The Libertines,

Morrissey, the Pixies, Prodigy, Stereophonics, Paul Weller and The White

Stripes.

"We're thrilled to add three of Europe's largest indie labels to our

iTunes Music Store in the UK, France and Germany," said Steve Jobs, Apple's

CEO. "We welcome Beggars, Sanctuary and V2 to the iTunes family, and plan to

add many more independent labels soon."

"Apple has revolutionized the music industry, and iTunes and iPod are

changing the listening habits of music fans at an incredible pace," said

Martin Mills, chairman of Beggars Group. "In the US, some of our key

individual tracks are selling in quantities that have been inconceivable for

years. We're delighted that we and other independent music labels are now

joining iTunes in Europe."

"We see this as an opportunity to bring our extensive repertoire to a very

active community of music fans," said Joe Cokell, CEO of Sanctuary Records

Group. "With this agreement, iTunes users will have immediate access to

contemporary new releases from Morrissey and The Libertines as well as vintage

catalogues from classic artists, including Bob Marley, Black Sabbath and the

Sex Pistols."

"After experiencing tremendous success with the iTunes Music Store in the

US we are thrilled to be taking our relationship to Europe," said Tony Harlow,

CEO of V2. "Now music lovers in the UK, France and Germany will be able to

download great music from the likes of Paul Weller, Stereophonics and The

Datsuns."

The iTunes Music Store in the US, UK, France and Germany offers an

extensive music library of over 700,000 songs in each country. With Apple's

legendary ease-of-use, pioneering features, personal use rights and

breakthrough pricing of just $0.99, euro 0.99 and pounds Sterling 0.79, the

iTunes Music Store is the best way for PC and Mac(R) users in each country to

legally discover, purchase and download music online. The iTunes Music Store

gives users the ability to play songs on up to five personal computers, burn a

song onto CDs an unlimited number of times, burn the same playlist up to seven

times and listen to their music on an unlimited number of iPods.

Apple ignited the personal computer revolution in the 1970s with the Apple

II and reinvented the personal computer in the 1980s with the Macintosh.

Today, Apple continues to lead the industry in innovation with its

award-winning desktop and notebook computers, OS X operating system, and iLife

and professional applications. Apple is also spearheading the digital music

revolution with its iPod portable music players and iTunes online music store.

NOTE: Apple, the Apple logo, Macintosh, Mac, Mac OS, and iTunes are

either registered trademarks or trademarks of Apple. Other company and product

names may be trademarks of their respective owners.

• Reply 8 of 12
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    crap!!

So, why can't I get some basement Jaxx here in the USA! Even if I want to go virtual shopping in the UK music store I can't buy tunes.

Stupid

My credit card company can do the euro/pound/dollar currency conversion and pay it in the european currency. No USA licensing problems, pay the artist and distributor out of the proper store in the proper currency given existing agreements.

just stupid.

I can buy the import cd on amazon and nobody seems to have a problem.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    talksense101talksense101 Posts: 1,738member
    Quote:

Originally posted by TednDi

My credit card company can do the euro/pound/dollar currency conversion and pay it in the european currency. No USA licensing problems, pay the artist and distributor out of the proper store in the proper currency given existing agreements.

Amen. That goes for the rest of the world who don't see a iTunes music store in iTunes.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    The iTMS is a privilege...not a right. Us poor Canadians that live right next the fucking door and have very, very similar labels, musical taste, and laws still have no 'good' internet store to shop in. So suck it up and live with the small annoyances. First people complained that the indies didn't make the launch despite the fact that it was almost certain that Apple would rake them in eventually. Now people are pissed that they're not available on the US store?

"Yeah, but you can download any song from Kazaa legally." I don't care. I don't agree with the Canadian laws and justice system and would rather see the fucking blank media surcharge removed so that iPod prices and CD prices drop and pay for my music like the rest of the world.

Canada is a frickin' 3rd world country.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    I wouldn't worry about it the US store still has far more tracks than the euro stores and atm there still are no Basement Jaxx or Prodigy on the Euro store. I think that even tho they have signed a deal it's still up to the labels to put things up when they want.

Theres loads of stuff missing from the Euro store, but it seems to be trickling in slowly..

Take black eyed peas... there was one single when the euro store opened then a couple of weeks later the UK version of their album turned up, So I thought that the delay was having to have the UK version created, but then later on the International version turned up!?!

Very weird!
  • Reply 12 of 12
    Oh another thing, where have the Celeb playlists on the euro store that disapeared!? They started off with a few, about 5 I think. They seemed to have faised them out?

I did wonder why they did not use the ones from the US but thinking about it they might have a load of songs missing.

Heres hoping we'll catch up soon!