Turning screen on/off with keyboard?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
On my previous laptop, a Toshiba, I could turn my screen on and off quickly by pushing CTRL-1. I miss being able to do this quickly. Is there a way I can do this on my PowerBook, without having to close the screen?

The reasons for my need for this is that I work in a pharmacy and patient confidentiality is always a concern. I'd like to be able to leave my office and not have to worry about someone walking in and seeing what is on my screen.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    webmailwebmail Posts: 639member
    How is that confidentiality? I just walk in and turn your screen back on...

Do this instead. (Do you have Mac OS X 10.3?)

1. System Preferences > Accounts > Click "Login Options"

2. Check the option "Enable Fast User Switching"

3. In the upper right hand corner of the menubar you will now see a menu item with your login name. Whenever you walk away click the menu and select "Login Window..." It returns you to the main login screen. Now nobody can see it without your password. And it's fast, it's not like logging in and out.

Or you can set the screen saver to come on when you move the mouse to one of the screen corners (enable password protection)
  • Reply 2 of 3
    or you can use the "dim screen" button, which is F1, if you put it all the way down the screen is pretty much off, you can only see a little of the screen if you put a really bright light up to it.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    What you really want to do is lock your screen to be HIPPA compliant. To do that I'd suggest you set a "hot corner" to active the password protected screen saver. You tell it to use a password in the "Security" part of the Preference and you set a hot corner by hitting the button in the lower left of the "Screen Saver" Preferences.