Wireless Network

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hey guys my local Church has a high speed internet connection for about six computers. They recently opened a Christian Library next door and they want to extend they internet service wirelessly. They have a router for 8 computers. My question is if the need to replace the router or can they use another wireless router alongside the current one. Also of course the connection in the Library needs to be Mac compadible cause I help out with graphic design work and I need to go online from the Library.

I have an 800mhz iMAc g4 but I don't have an airport card. The PC in the Library doesn't have I network card either. What are some possible solutions for this little problem.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    yup, a wireless router will work with your existing router, just plug the "internet in" from the 2nd router into one of the ports for the 1st router and it'll work.

Well for the imac, it has an ethernet port so you can just plug it into the router... the computer with no network card... you'll have to get one for it or else it can't connect to the internet basically.

I recommend Belkin
  • Reply 2 of 4
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    I assume the router is distributing IPs via DHCP already so you'll want to turn that feature off on the wireless router and have it function as sort of a bridge between the terrestrial and wireless networks.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    krisnephkrisneph Posts: 143member
    Can I have a wireless bridge between the two buildings then connect the iMac and the PC with wired connections. Would that be more affordable? If so how could I achive that?

Cause if it's wireless all the way from building 1 to 2 I need an airport card. I don't want to buy one cause I'm low on cash.

Tey might buy me one since I help out a lot for free but just in case.

Can you guys explain a little more in detail the possoble solutions

Thanks a lot guys
  • Reply 4 of 4
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by krisneph

Can I have a wireless bridge between the two buildings then connect the iMac and the PC with wired connections. Would that be more affordable? If so how could I achive that?

Heh, you can do that type of set-up, but it'll cost a bit. You should get two of the same brand wireless routers and set-up WDS between them using two directional antennae with line of sight.