Tiger Builds ? What's the latest?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I'm lost! I haven't seen any news? Does anyone have the WWDC build rather than the preview that was given out on disc? (The build from Steve's presentation) Or any newer versions?

I'd like to be kept up on what the latest builds of tiger are.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    No, everyone has the seeded build.
  • Reply 2 of 19
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Well, everyone but webmail.

And we're all laaaaaaaaaughing about it.
  • Reply 3 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by webmail

Does anyone have the WWDC build rather than the preview that was given out on disc? (The build from Steve's presentation)

You mean there's more than one Tiger build? m. \
  • Reply 4 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by Merovingian

You mean there's more than one Tiger build? m. \

Yes of course! Only one seeded build yet, though...
  • Reply 5 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by The One to Rescue

Yes of course! Only one seeded build yet, though...

That's what I thought. So the first post should probably read:

I'm lost! I haven't seen any news? Does anyone have the WWDC build later than the preview that was given out on disc? (The build from Steve's presentation) Or any newer versions?

I'd like to be kept up on what the latest builds of tiger are.

Sorry for the confusion... m.
  • Reply 6 of 19
    What's the difference between the seeded build and the WWDC build? What didn't make it into the build that the developers received?
  • Reply 7 of 19
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    at this point, why does it matter? obviously youre not a developer, so its not like you'd really be benefitting from anything now. also, its only been two weeks or so since the keynote--apple isnt THAT good... ask again in about 3-4 months.
  • Reply 8 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by rlindeman

What's the difference between the seeded build and the WWDC build? What didn't make it into the build that the developers received?

Striking differences:

- in Steve's demo build, the Apple menu had the same blue background as the Spotlight menu. In the WWDC build, however, the Apple menu is in Panther style.

- in Steve's demo build, the AppleScript front-end app is called "Automator" and has a robot icon. In the WWDC build, it is called "Pipeline" and has a domino brick icon.

- in Steve's demo build, Dashboard items are called "widgets". There's also widgets for watching Webcams, tracking stock, and another one I can't think of right now. Those widgets are lacking in the WWDC build; also, the other ones are referred to as "gadgets".
  • Reply 9 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

at this point, why does it matter? obviously youre not a developer, so its not like you'd really be benefitting from anything now. also, its only been two weeks or so since the keynote--apple isnt THAT good... ask again in about 3-4 months.

Sounds like someone got up on the wrong side of the bed this morning.
  • Reply 10 of 19
    webmailwebmail Posts: 639member
    What's the latest build #? Anyone?
  • Reply 11 of 19
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:

What's the latest build #? Anyone?

5H17
  • Reply 12 of 19
    webmailwebmail Posts: 639member
    Thanks Kim! Care to comment?
  • Reply 13 of 19
    Quote:

I think they were being facetious.... 8A162 is the WWDC build, so I don't think that it would jump back down to 5...
  • Reply 14 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

5H17

• Reply 15 of 19
    Quote:

Actually, there's hardly anything to comment since the WWDC : Apple didn't hire superheroes recently, so nobody can code at the speed of light and bring tremendous changes in like 2-3 weeks.

Anyway, since you'll never actually use Tiger the way it is now, just be patient and wait for Jobs' consumer-oriented keynotes to see how the puppy is going! I'm sure he'll unveil new features at the Apple Expo in Paris...
  • Reply 16 of 19
    jaredjared Posts: 639member
    Quote:

Originally posted by The One to Rescue

Actually, there's hardly anything to comment since the WWDC : Apple didn't hire superheroes recently, so nobody can code at the speed of light and bring tremendous changes in like 2-3 weeks.

Well that depends if they are seeding Pixar with Tiger builds
  • Reply 17 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jared

Well that depends if they are seeding Pixar with Tiger builds

Tiger has been pretty good so far.
  • Reply 18 of 19
    Quote:

Since you obviously still haven't realized that you've been had, here's a short Mac OS X build number 101: builds have a digit, a letter, and a two-to-three-digit number.

The digit is the base version. 4 is Cheetah, 5 is Puma, 6 Jaguar, 7 Panther and 8 is Tiger. Starting with Jaguar, the major Darwin release number equals this - so Darwin 6.x is equivalent to Jaguar, and Darwin 8.x will be equivalent to Tiger. Every time this digit increases, the rest of the build number gets reset.

The letter is more minor. Every time it increases, the rest of the build number (the two or three digits after it) get reset. For example, Puma ended up at, I believe, 5S55 (five ess fifty-five, if the display is confusing you ). The seeded Tiger build is at 8A162. Whenever a major change gets applied, they will increase the letter - for example, they might jump to 8B1 then. Then they would keep fixing things and maybe seed builds like 8B23 or 8B51 to developers. At some point, when it's stable enough - let's say at 8D93 - , they release it to the public.

Internally, they will continue. Tiger 10.4.1 could be 8G34 or something.
  • Reply 19 of 19
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    4K78 is GM, I tell ya!

</timewarp>