running with ipod mini

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Does anyone run with an ipod mini? I'd like to find a good method of safely carrying my mini so that I can hit the pavement but my ipod doesn't have to.

My current method is to hold the ipod firmly in my hand, alternating after each song, just to keep things interesting. I'm suspicious of arm bands because I'm not sure if they hold the ipod securely and because I'm not sure how comfortable they are --I would imagine you can feel the blood pulsing in your arm like a blood pressure machine? eech!

Any runners out there with good suggestions?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    I would recommend the Apple iPod mini Arm Band. I've heard it holds onto the iPod mini extremely securely, as does the included belt clip. But the belt clip can potentially fall off your clothes when you jog. Plus, you can loosen the arm band so it fits just right.

I would be more concerned with the fact that the iPod mini Arm Band exposes the mini to the elements. (especially sunlight, which can cause the color chemical treatment on the metal to fade if exposed for prolonged periods of time)
  • Reply 2 of 17
    both points very good. I bought a mini for my girlfriend, and also an arm band.

The armband is excellent for running, and prolonged exposure to the sun turned her pink mini into a peach mini. I'm still glad she runs
  • Reply 3 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by Imergingenious

...and prolonged exposure to the sun turned her pink mini into a peach mini...

Thanks for the info...I was not aware of the color fading issue. What is the best way to prevent this without getting a heavy case or sacrificing use with armband?
  • Reply 4 of 17
    learn to like the color peach
  • Reply 5 of 17
    wear a t-shirt when you run and have it under your sleeve or something like that.
  • Reply 6 of 17
    Introducing new SPF 30 iPod Mini Sunscreen!!
  • Reply 7 of 17
    augustwestaugustwest Posts: 157member
    Wonder what happens to the color on the green mini...but I'd rather not find out from personal experience. I'll get my mini some sunglasses.
  • Reply 8 of 17
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    I have a silver mini and run with it on my arm. The armband is great. I haven't had experienced any sun exposure issues, but I go running around 7 PM.

I've seen a third party case that also can include a belt clip and armband. It might be what you're looking for. However, the Apple gear is still fab.
  • Reply 9 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by Imergingenious

I'm still glad she runs

I would swear that if it wasn't for this mini I wouldn't be exercising as much. $250 is a small price to pay for my health!
  • Reply 10 of 17
    coolmaccoolmac Posts: 259member
    I run with my iPod mini, I use the Marware Sportsuit Convertible case:

http://www.marware.com/miniconvertible.html
  • Reply 11 of 17
    I thought the case was anodized?

depends on what dye apple decided to use, organic or inorganic.

Organic fades: "Colors can only come from two sources; chromophores in organic chemicals that results from double bonds or triple bonds or a few other special bonds; in inorganics they come from metal ion complexes. UV light adds sufficient energy to break double or triple bonds so organic dyes are more susceptible to sunlight degradation. Try the inorganic metal dyes for outside use."

inorganic will not fade as easily. But either way they will last a couple of YEARS in the sun continuously before they will fade.
  • Reply 12 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by Xool

I would swear that if it wasn't for this mini I wouldn't be exercising as much. $250 is a small price to pay for my health!

Yeah, I think I actually run farther with my ipod...I don't think it's a scientifically provable phenomena though.
  • Reply 13 of 17
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Originally posted by AugustWest

Yeah, I think I actually run farther with my ipod...I don't think it's a scientifically provable phenomena though.

i know i do. It's just a lot more enjoyable and less boring. And i workout really well to music because it puts me in a certain groove.

The iPod was the best thing to ever happen to my running. I have an old 20 but I'm considering the mini just to lighten the load running. Currently I hold the iPod in my hand which is alright but less than ideal.
  • Reply 14 of 17
    augustwestaugustwest Posts: 157member
    Quote:

Originally posted by applenut

i know i do. It's just a lot more enjoyable and less boring. And i workout really well to music because it puts me in a certain groove.

The iPod was the best thing to ever happen to my running. I have an old 20 but I'm considering the mini just to lighten the load running. Currently I hold the iPod in my hand which is alright but less than ideal.

That's exactly what I'm doing-- trading in my 3rd Gen 15GB for a mini that is the color of this face ---> 4GB limit will be a bit of a restriction, but I'll still have enough room for several marathons worh of music. Now if I could only get in shape...
  • Reply 15 of 17
    jdiddy81jdiddy81 Posts: 13member
    How long before the music starts to skip, if it does at all. Apple's specs say 25 minutes of skip protection. i want to get one for my girlfriend and she runs for 1-2 hours at a time. does using the armband help reduce the shock?

first post!
  • Reply 16 of 17
    I've used a 3G iPod for about a year (and now a 4G iPod) while running 45 - 75 minutes, and I have never had it skip. I used an armband (Marware) for the 3G, and now just hold the 4G in my hand (waiting for a third-party armband).

Don't know about the miniPod, but your girlfriend shouldn't have a problem with skipping.
  • Reply 17 of 17
    This past weekend I was on vacation in Las Vegas. One day I had about 2 hours to kill by myself so I grabbed my iPod and went on an adventure. I enjoyed placing my music to the Vegas scene rather than hearing their piped in crap and constant bing bing binging.

On the way back to my hotel I accidentally tossed my mini in front of me in a crosswalk! Smack down face first on The Strip! It didn't skip a beat and its HD is fine. Screen too. The metal case has a few nicks in it, but otherwise its OK.

I was freaked out for a sec, but in the end impressed with its durability. Next time I bring my remote.