"New iMac Based On G5"-Oppenheimer

Comments

• Reply 41 of 82
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    I apologize for delaying the new iMacs. I just received my brand new dual 1.8ghz PowerMac and I am so sorry for using up an additional 1.8 ghz G5 chip.

I'll try not to let it happen I the future.

P.S. Halo is scary good on this machine!
  • Reply 42 of 82
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gon

I predict we'll see Gigabit Ethernet in the iMac. It's not very useful in general but it's in Powerbooks, Powermacs, and it's quickly becoming standard on PC motherboards. The cost difference isn't huge, this is a backwards compatible improvement, and it wouldn't be the first time Apple sets a new standard in connectivity by having Gb Ethernet in every system sold (yes, I think it's coming to iBooks as well). Think Firewire, USB, etc.

And unfortunately, I think Apple will set the price of the iMac to such a level it needs all the selling points it can get...

the 12 inch Powerbook doesn't have gigabit which makes me skeptical apple will include it on the iMac. But, it could happen

and your comment about setting the price too high is off....hopefully. I think, based on Apple's own comments that price will be one of the biggest selling points.
  • Reply 43 of 82
    The ALL NEW iMac (link deleted)
  • Reply 44 of 82
    Quote:

Originally posted by TWinbrook46636

He said the 1.8 and 2.0 PowerMacs would be in limited supply in addition to the 2.5 model due to IBM's chip problems. The 2.5 is a 90nm chip but both the 1.8 and 2.0 are 130nm chips. Obviously they are in serious trouble if both chip lines are problematic for them. It also means we are back to square one in terms of what chips the iMac will have. It could be 1.6, 1.8 or 2.0 from either the 130nm or 90nm lines. Although 90nm would make more sense considering the new design, I think the new iMacs will have the 130nm chips.

I don't think they will be able to shoehorn those hot blooded 130nm G5s into a sleek iMac case -- current PowerMacs need nine (!) fans to cool them down! I bet they will stick with 90nm versions of 1.8/2.0 GHz G5s which will allow easier cooling -- and which also explains the delay of the new iMac. Besides, I don't think that Gigabit Ethernet will be an issue, since those cards generate additional heat, too.
  • Reply 45 of 82
    dfryerdfryer Posts: 140member
    The impression that I'm getting (water cooling, comments from IBM etc.) is that 90nm isn't resulting in the heat savings that they thought it would. Is this just because, although the power consumption has dropped, the heat is being generated over a smaller area?
  • Reply 46 of 82
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Apple is likely to tout gigabit if they add it to the iMac3(which they should). The iMac3 is going to be using a similar G5 mobo which means the same controller as the Powermacs is likely. So basically they'd have to "cripple" the controller on the iMac to support only 100T max. Today when Gigabit is on a $150 Taiwanese mobo I think it's silly to have a computer $1000+ without gigabit. Say I want to use Xgrid functions in a few years. I'd like to have all peer computers on gb for maximum speed.
  • Reply 47 of 82
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dfryer

The impression that I'm getting (water cooling, comments from IBM etc.) is that 90nm isn't resulting in the heat savings that they thought it would. Is this just because, although the power consumption has dropped, the heat is being generated over a smaller area?

That's exactly it. With the 970, the problem was heat. With the 970fx, the problem is heat density.

Liquid cooling is better suited to coping with high heat density than air cooling is, so I expect a lot of piping and wicking in the new iMac, and a back panel that doubles as a huge radiator.
  • Reply 48 of 82
    Quote:

Originally posted by Yankeedoodle

Icurrent PowerMacs need nine (!) fans to cool them down!

No they don't.

Apple needs 9 fans to cool them quietly.

I'm not saying that the iMac should be loud, but there are somethings it won't need, like SATA hard drives. It could even have a slower FSB, say 1/4 the speed of the processor instead of 1/2. I've heard that the system controller actually generates more heat than the 970, so reducing its frequency should help with heat.
  • Reply 49 of 82
    charlesscharless Posts: 301member
    I for one hope the design doesn't change all that much. The current one is beautiful.
  • Reply 50 of 82
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Anyone here think those mistakenly posted PowerMac pictures were actually test boxen with the new iMac motherboard in it? If so, maybe we'll see the "PowerMac Mini" come September.
  • Reply 51 of 82
    I'm starting to wonder if the new iMac's description (read: boring) will incorporate that "color changing" technology that apple patented a while back... Maybe the physical layout and design aren't all that fancy, but it lights up and stuff...

Anyway, AI: post the frickin' sketch or shut up about it already
  • Reply 52 of 82
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    Since some have already termed the new iMac "ugly" sight unseen, a sketch would simply confirm their opinions. A sketch cannot properly represent the subtleties of the design. It never did so when other CPU's were "leaked" and it won't this time. In person, the product has always looked better. But, there are those who are simply clairvoyant and can pass judgment. More power to them, but they need a dose of reality. We'll know soon enough kiddies.
  • Reply 53 of 82
    addisonaddison Posts: 1,185member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PBG4 Dude

Anyone here think those mistakenly posted PowerMac pictures were actually test boxen with the new iMac motherboard in it? If so, maybe we'll see the "PowerMac Mini" come September.

If you are talking about those coloured cube shaped machines, they were a mock-up. If you are not then which pic's are you talking about? Link please.
  • Reply 54 of 82
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacsRGood4U

Since some have already termed the new iMac "ugly" sight unseen, a sketch would simply confirm their opinions. A sketch cannot properly represent the subtleties of the design. It never did so when other CPU's were "leaked" and it won't this time. In person, the product has always looked better. But, there are those who are simply clairvoyant and can pass judgment. More power to them, but they need a dose of reality. We'll know soon enough kiddies.

I don't think AppleInsider really has a sketch. They keep mentioning they have one yet never post it. I think they are just saying that so that when a sketch does make an appearance (on another rumor site) they can say they had it all along. Prove me wrong Appleinsider. Prove me wrong.
  • Reply 55 of 82
    leonardleonard Posts: 528member
    Quote:

Originally posted by iDave

I thought I had seen confirmation that all of the new dual Power Macs use the 90nm chips. Don't ask me for a link. I don't remember where I saw it and could be mistaken.

Yes, AppleInsider in fact confirmed this in one of their articles: http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=508

Go to the bottom of the article.

Of course it seems nobody can convince all those paranoid Mac users of this. There is still alot of confusion on the subject.
  • Reply 56 of 82
    Quote:

Originally posted by Leonard

Yes, AppleInsider in fact confirmed this in one of their articles: http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=508

Go to the bottom of the article.

Of course it seems nobody can convince all those paranoid Mac users of this. There is still alot of confusion on the subject.

No, only the 2.5 Ghz model uses the 90nm chips. The 1.8 and 2.0 GHz models use the 130nm. This has been confirmed by Tom Boger and others at Apple as well as people running tests on the machines themselves.
  • Reply 57 of 82
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    The two lower-end PowerMacs may use the 130 chips, but their supply is still constrained according to the conference call. So IBM is having trouble with both 90 and 130 chips?
  • Reply 58 of 82
    oldmacfanoldmacfan Posts: 501member
    Quote:

Originally posted by TWinbrook46636

No, only the 2.5 Ghz model uses the 90nm chips. The 1.8 and 2.0 GHz models use the 130nm. This has been confirmed by Tom Boger and others at Apple as well as people running tests on the machines themselves.

Can we have a link or something, I have yet to see anything that says the 1.8 and 2.0 are not 90nm chips?
  • Reply 59 of 82
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

The two lower-end PowerMacs may use the 130 chips, but their supply is still constrained according to the conference call. So IBM is having trouble with both 90 and 130 chips?

That is what I don't get, how could a chip(130nm) that has not had any manufacturing pitfalls all of a sudden have them.
  • Reply 60 of 82
    What I understood of the conference call it was 90nm 1.8-2.5 that were in tight supply.