[Merged] New "Sleeker" iPods Coming Next Month According to T.S.

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
New iPods in August with colors and presumably anodized aluminum exteriors. i guess that's a good thing. My 3g iPod is a beauty but I really hate how scratched up it gets so anodized aluminum would be a good thing, along with the mini's nav wheel.

http://www.thinksecret.com/news/augustipods.html

Comments

• Reply 1 of 43
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    Interesting report. My only concern is that it doesn't sound like they'll have increased battery life because of the diminutive size. But if they did, it would be a nice surprise I think.

Go here for article.
  • Reply 2 of 43
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    The iPod is part of the Digital Hub, so moving there...
  • Reply 3 of 43
    What makes you think anodized aluminum doesn't scratch? I have had more than a few experiences with anodized racing components and they look great, but they do scratch and the scratches look terrible because they reveal bare aluminum which contrasts heavily with the colors. If your concerned about appearences, I wouldn't think this would be a good thing.
  • Reply 4 of 43
    jcgjcg Posts: 777member
    Quote:

Originally posted by spliff monkey

What makes you think anodized aluminum doesn't scratch? I have had more than a few experiences with anodized racing components and they look great, but they do scratch and the scratches look terrible because they reveal bare aluminum which contrasts heavily with the colors. If your concerned about appearences, I wouldn't think this would be a good thing.

Right, the anodized surface is harder and more durable and resistant to oxidation than raw aluminum, but it does scratch, it is after all just a thin coating on top of the aluminum.
  • Reply 5 of 43
    quagmirequagmire Posts: 558member
    No,color screen feature?
  • Reply 6 of 43
    Anyone reckon that this means multi-colored anodized aluminum will feature in the new iMacs and iBooks?
  • Reply 7 of 43
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    When the product is revealed we'll know what it looks like and the colors. Stay tuned.

Demand for iPods (regular and particularly the mini) are staggering in the U.S. European orders for the mini are also unprecedented (or something to that effect). Every time Apple thinks they have enough drives for the mini, orders outpace demand!
  • Reply 8 of 43
    idunnoidunno Posts: 645member
    What is wrong with the current design? I think the current iPod's are awesome.. and I really don't think that the Mini's are all that (besides their size).

I think new iPod's should have a better battery and iPhoto integration. That's about it... no colour screen. I don't want to lookat my photos on it, just be able to put the photos directly from my camera, onot my iPod.

iDunno.
  • Reply 9 of 43
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    I think you all will be dissapointed when the 4G iPod is just an evolutionary improvement on the existing iPod. It will be a larger version of the mini with a few enhancements and larger drives. That is all that is really needed. I mean, they sold 800,000 + and they are old.
  • Reply 10 of 43
    low-filow-fi Posts: 357member
    Quote:

Originally posted by iDunno

What is wrong with the current design? I think the current iPod's are awesome.. and I really don't think that the Mini's are all that (besides their size).

iDunno.

The current button layout is total balls compared to the 1G, 2G and mini's - you can't use the thing by touch, and it is so annoying!
  • Reply 11 of 43
    james bjames b Posts: 21member
    I'd like to see the flash memory in the thing increased from 32MB to maybe 64MB, which should increase battery life cause the hard drive doesn't have to spin as much.

I'm still on the 2G iPod so I really want to upgrade the new ones.
  • Reply 12 of 43
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    I think Apple will keep things simple as well. That's a good thing to do right now. Getting overly ambitious when you have thousands of backorders is a tad silly.

I'm looking for

1. Smaller Size

2. Battery improvements

3. More memory

4. Some sort of port that will assist in tapping into new markets.

5. Internal changes that only iTunes software can take advantage of.

It doesn't need to be mind blowing..right now it needst to be available. Once Supply catches up with demand then Apple can bring out some whizzbang stuff.
  • Reply 13 of 43
    ibook911ibook911 Posts: 607member
    Great. They release plans for a new ipod on the day I order a current one. \
  • Reply 14 of 43
    murkmurk Posts: 935member
    An interesting thing to think about when imagining iPod working with iPhoto and iMovie, is the fact that it is a Windows device also. How will Apple handle this? Would having Mac only features hurt sales in the Windows world? If they offer the features, would they support some similar software on windows, or should they port iLife? Remember most iPods are sold to Windows users. For now, with iPod selling like ice water in hell, it might be unwise to unleash the ?yeah, but this and that don?t work with Windows? thing.
  • Reply 15 of 43
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Quote:

Originally posted by murk

Remember most iPods are sold to Windows users.

I'm curious to know the breakdown. Do you have a link or more info? thanks
  • Reply 16 of 43
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    porting ilife to Windows...

It would be a wicked turn of events if ilife became the killer app for windows.

kind of full circle of bill gates's comment about MS making more money off office for the mac than Apple makes money selling macintoshes.

but what better way of doing it. But on the features for windows put a little pop up box that says

"sorry this feature only works with macintosh's award winning technology your operating system is incapable of supporting this feature"
  • Reply 17 of 43
    a10t2a10t2 Posts: 191member
    The integration of iLife is a huge motivation for Macs and Mac OS X sales. A Windows port would 1) not be able to provide the same tightly integrated experience and 2)cannibalize Mac and OS X sales.
  • Reply 18 of 43
    Quote:

Originally posted by satchmo

I'm curious to know the breakdown. Do you have a link or more info? thanks

Sorry, but I don?t have a breakdown. I was basing this on a quote from the big guy himself:

SJ: "No. We brought the iPod to Windows. That was a big decision. That was basically a decision not to use the iPod to drive people to Macs. We're going to use it as a music device, and we're going to put it on Windows. The majority of iPods we sell are used on Windows."

Guardian Interview with Jobs
  • Reply 19 of 43
    Quote:

Originally posted by a10t2

The integration of iLife is a huge motivation for Macs and Mac OS X sales. A Windows port would 1) not be able to provide the same tightly integrated experience and 2)cannibalize Mac and OS X sales.

I also think I read a quote (from Jobs or maybe Schiller) that they do not plan on taking any more of iLife to Windows. Still, my point was that the addition of iLife features to the iPod could be tricky from a marketing standpoint. Perhaps they will have a color screen and some kind of video out, but Apple will not play this up at first. They could pass off the ability to store photos or show movies as an addition to iLife 05 or Tiger instead of the iPod. It would give the impression that the Mac OS is adding new features to the iPod instead of the alternate view that Apple is crippling the Windows version.
  • Reply 20 of 43
    dogcowdogcow Posts: 713member
    Does anyone else think that it's a bad idea to make the ipods Aluminum and colored? The ipod markets itself because people recognize it. Just about everyone knows what that little white gizmo is. If you suddenly change the look of it, people will just think it's another generic mp3 player. It will take a long time for the people to be able to recognize something new. Just a thought....