Previous PowerBook Issues Solved?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hey all,

In an unexpected move, work just threw $3000 at me for a laptop purchase!

Suffice it to say, I'm very happy. I plan to get a maxed-out 15" PowerBook, but I do have a few questions about previous problems plauging these AlBooks...

1. Is the infamous White Spot issue finally resolved? I intend to do graphics work and would not be happy about white spots...

2. I recently read something about Airport card connectivity being problematic on 15" PowerBooks with 1GB of RAM or more... Has this been resolved?

Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    m01etym01ety Posts: 278member
    Just got back from the Apple Store in CambridgeSide, MA... None of the display models had any white spots, which I guess is a sign that they finally resolved the issue. The last time I checked out the PowerBooks nearly two thirds of the display models had white spots.

So I guess the white spot scare is over...

What about the Airport/memory problem connection? Does anyone know anything?
  • Reply 2 of 6
    I just got a 17 with a gig of ram. No Airport probs at all.

What is the "White Spot" Scare?
  • Reply 3 of 6
    The white spot issue has been resolved. I sent my (previous generation) back several months ago and the replacement panel has had no problems.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    m01etym01ety Posts: 278member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Bulky Cranium

I just got a 17 with a gig of ram. No Airport probs at all.

What is the "White Spot" Scare?

Cool. Sounds like 10.3.4 or some recent 10.3.x took care of that as well.

The White Spot Scare had to do with random white spots showing up over the 15" PowerBook's screen. People would send them in, and the replacement screens developed the same issue in a few days. There were horror stories of dubitable veracity of people who had gone through four or five replacement panels with the problems coming back and back -- suffice it to say, something wasn't quite right in QA for a long time...

Seems like it's taken care of now, however, and I don't think the 17" was ever affected.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    gsxrboygsxrboy Posts: 565member
    My 15" 1.5 is perfect in every way. i think they have all the old probs licked
  • Reply 6 of 6
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Michael Wilkie

The white spot issue has been resolved. I sent my (previous generation) back several months ago and the replacement panel has had no problems.

This is good news for me. I'm finally sending my PowerBook in for the white spot repair and I'm glad to hear the problem has been resolved.

I bought my PB last September so it was from the original batch of PBs, not a recent one.