advice & facts needed 4 future purchase

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
DELETE

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    1. If you don't need the extra resolution, or graphics power, yes.

2. IMO yes, but depending on what you're using it for, may not make much of a difference. Radeon 9700 is a much more powerful chip than the FX5200.

3. Yes, you would need to use the mini-dvi to vga adapter, which is included

4. Probably not enough to be largely perceptible.

5. Probably not a huge difference.

6. Yes. Bluetooth is included on all PB models, so no difference in that regard.

7. Right now, not much. Maybe in the future it will be utilized more. Primarily I think it's currently used in some external HD cases.

8. Depends if you're upgrading stuff. If you want an iPod also, then the Apple Ed store has the laptop + iPod deal (buy both, $200 mail in rebate). Otherwise, Amazon has $150 mail in rebate on Apple laptops right now. Check Macprices for a quick comparison.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    ericeasonericeason Posts: 118member
    If you are at least 18 and a student, or have a friend or relative that is, you should sign up for the Student Developer.

http://developer.apple.com/students/index.html

It costs $99 and you get a free copy of os X and a 20% discount on a hardware purchace. Also, if Mac os X 10.4 Tiger comes out before your one year membership is over, they will send that to you for free.

With the discount, you can get a 15" 1.5ghz powerbook for $1999.

I did this to get my powerbook.

You need to fax them a copy of your student ID to verify that you are a student before you get the discount.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ericeason

If you are at least 18 and a student, or have a friend or relative that is, you should sign up for the Student Developer.

http://developer.apple.com/students/index.html

It costs $99 and you get a free copy of os X and a 20% discount on a hardware purchace. Also, if Mac os X 10.4 Tiger comes out before your one year membership is over, they will send that to you for free.

With the discount, you can get a 15" 1.5ghz powerbook for $1999.

I did this to get my powerbook.

You need to fax them a copy of your student ID to verify that you are a student before you get the discount.

i would not publicly advertise that as apple can easily take that away. it's a great deal but if abused, they will get rid of it.

technically you are also suppose to show proof that you are enrolled in CS classes although I hear they rarely check
  • Reply 4 of 4
    d3ctd3ct Posts: 56member
    DELETE