$2600, Apple vs. Dell

Comments

• Reply 21 of 49
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Beige_G3

Dell is cheaper at start .....no doubt. My Mac is 6 years old. Where are the Dells from 6 years ago? In the long run, Macs are more economical for me. However, I buy and use them because I like them! Time for a G5 ....yep

what are you doing on your 6 year old mac that cant be done on a 6 year old Dell?

pcs are cheap enough to upgrade/buy new, it's not that they dont "last as long"
  • Reply 22 of 49
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Apples especially old ones are higher quality. I have a Color Classic that works. In fact I have a Mac Plus and an SE somewhere that'd still boot up A-OK. Show me PCs from that long ago that work and would still be useful.
  • Reply 23 of 49
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

Apples especially old ones are higher quality. I have a Color Classic that works. In fact I have a Mac Plus and an SE somewhere that'd still boot up A-OK. Show me PCs from that long ago that work and would still be useful.

no problem. i have macs that old that work just fine too.

usefull? what's useful on them that isnt useful on a pc that old? tha's what im asking. mac users make it seem like their 10 year old macs still keep up in today's world. they dont.

it's not like PCs have an expiration date. this whole macs last longer thing is a bit of a farce. the only reason some macs seemed to age well was because the newer offerings for a while werent all that revolutionary.
  • Reply 24 of 49
    stjobsstjobs Posts: 45member
    "it's not like PCs have an expiration date."

Most PC users upgrade because their current computer becomes unusable - either due to hardware failure, or massive and recurrent software issues, probably brought on by a glut of spyware, virii, etc.

"the only reason some macs seemed to age well was because the newer offerings for a while werent all that revolutionary."

Or because Apple's most successful models continued to remain useful for most work.
  • Reply 25 of 49
    Quote:

Originally posted by stjobs

"it's not like PCs have an expiration date."

Most PC users upgrade because their current computer becomes unusable - either due to hardware failure, or massive and recurrent software issues, probably brought on by a glut of spyware, virii, etc.

that is such blatant bullshit

and you know it. but since you're liar you'd never admit it
  • Reply 26 of 49
    messiahtoshmessiahtosh Posts: 1,754member
    ?
  • Reply 27 of 49
    Quote:

Originally posted by Messiahtosh

?

don't you have any trailers to go do blowjob voice overs to or something?
  • Reply 28 of 49
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Nut.

Chill.

Now.
  • Reply 29 of 49
    n20ninen20nine Posts: 10member
    I have a Dell which is nearly 2 years old. It was a high-end system when I bought it. Today, I can tell you it is slow. I have reformatted my PC once. Had to a lot of cleaning ups and the build-quality of my Dell is super bad. It doesn't even have a decent resale value.
  • Reply 30 of 49
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by stjobs

This is true, why do you think dell, hp, sony and all other win box makers do not include sbybot or adaware, and the antivirus that is included on most is so diluted that it makes me laugh...
  • Reply 31 of 49
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by n20nine

I have a Dell which is nearly 2 years old. It was a high-end system when I bought it. Today, I can tell you it is slow. I have reformatted my PC once. Had to a lot of cleaning ups and the build-quality of my Dell is super bad. It doesn't even have a decent resale value.

I will give you $10 for it...
  • Reply 32 of 49
    snoopysnoopy Posts: 1,901member
    Dell vs. Dell

I just configured a Dell Precision 670 workstation close to what the Power Mac offers and the price was a tad bit over $2700. It had dual 2.8 GHz Xeon processors, the lowest speed offered, 512 MB of RAM, the minimum offered, a 160 GB SATA hard drive and 8X DVD burner. These were a few of my selections. This price seems to be in line with the G5 Power Mac. The model 650 would have been a little cheaper, but it had DDR2 266MHz SDRAM rather than 400 MHz, and it only supported 4 GB of RAM. The model 670 seemed closer to a G5 Power Mac.

Dell offers a variety of models, so it is always possible to find a cheaper way to go, even when comparing Dell with Dell. Some Dell customers must be willing to pay these higher prices for better workstations, or else Dell would discontinue them.
  • Reply 33 of 49
    majormattmajormatt Posts: 1,077member
    My father uses a color classic for Quicken.
  • Reply 34 of 49
    the cool gutthe cool gut Posts: 1,714member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dferigmu

Does Apple realize this? Isn't it obvious why companies like Dell are killing Apple in computer sales???

Well, there is the fact that 1 year from now, the Mac will retain half it's value, were the alien will be worth 100 bucks.
  • Reply 35 of 49
    the cool gutthe cool gut Posts: 1,714member
    Quote:

Originally posted by applenut

don't you have any trailers to go do blowjob voice overs to or something?

What happened to you man?
  • Reply 36 of 49
    bborofkabborofka Posts: 230member
    Quote:

Originally posted by the cool gut

Well, there is the fact that 1 year from now, the Mac will retain half it's value, were the alien will be worth 100 bucks.

Macs are slower to get architectural advancements that the PC industry make ubquitious quickly.
  • Reply 37 of 49
    Quote:

Originally posted by bborofka

I believe the point by dferigmu was not that we should all stop using Macs and get Dells because Dells give you more bang for the buck. Rather, it's just evidence of why most people don't buy Macs.

The reason why people do not buy Macs is because:

1. They don't know any better.

2. They are afraid of learning something new.

3. They still think they will be incompatible with Windows. (Which in turn tells you how little they know, and how misinformed they are.)

4. People still think they have to buy Apple hard drives, memory, etc.

5. Hell, people sometimes ask me if Macs play MP3's.

6. They think software for Macs is more expensive that for Win.

I could go on, but the point is, there are Macs starting at $799 that are very capable.

Not everybody upgrades their computers on their own. It is just a matter of educating people and that is why the Apple retail store initiative is there. Also they are usually in upscale places, because the people that go to those places are the ones that will eventually will need a computer for work. And Apple is hoping that little by little people start using and maybe starting more businesses based on Macs.

whoa, I'll stop now. Got to go work.
  • Reply 38 of 49
    concordconcord Posts: 312member
    Quote:

Originally posted by the cool gut:

Of all the arguments I've seen used to sway people towards buying a Mac, this is by far the weakest. While I agree that Macs do retain their value longer, who would really choose a platform based on depreciation? That's just a bonus if you go to the Mac, not a deciding factor.

C.
  • Reply 39 of 49
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dferigmu

For $2600, this is what you get when comparing an Apple and a Dell tower:

Dual 1.8 Ghz G5 vs. P4 3.6GHz

1 Year Warranty vs. 3 Year Warranty

512 MB RAM vs. 1GB RAM

160 GB HD vs. 250GB Serial HD

8x DVD+RW vs. 48x CDRW Drive+12xDVD+RW/R

17" LCD vs. 19" LCD

128MB ATI Radeon 9600 vs. 256MB ATI Radeon X800 XT

Does Apple realize this? Isn't it obvious why companies like Dell are killing Apple in computer sales???

OS X vs. Windows XP

Is what it truly comes down to. I say it all evens out.

I'll take OS X on a slightly "slower" system any day of the week, and twice on Sunday.
  • Reply 40 of 49
    concordconcord Posts: 312member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates:

I'll take OS X on a slightly "slower" system any day of the week, and twice on Sunday.

Really... my experience has been just the opposite.

The latest OS:X on my G4 1.25 crawls in comparison to XP on my 1.5Ghz P4 - and even though the G4 has 4x the ram. Speed has always been, to my mind, one of the plusses on the XP side of the fence.

Just my 2 bits,

C.