Google buys Picasa

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
http://www.picasa.com/google/

And gives it away for free. "Ouch" says Adobe, "Apple's giving away free iPhoto and now Google is trying to each our lunch with Picasa!"

# Auto-transfer photos from your digital camera.

# Organize and find pictures in seconds.

# Edit, print, and share photos with ease.

# Create slideshows, order prints and more!

Man soon companies will be paying us to use their software

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    adam1185adam1185 Posts: 19member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

And gives it away for free. "Ouch" says Adobe, "Apple's giving away free iPhoto and now Google is trying to each our lunch with Picasa!"

# Auto-transfer photos from your digital camera.

# Organize and find pictures in seconds.

# Edit, print, and share photos with ease.

# Create slideshows, order prints and more!

Man soon companies will be paying us to use their software

wow, that's pretty good news for the pc users out there. Picasa is one great looking program
  • Reply 2 of 12
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Yeah I've already downloaded it to my XP system. Looks like photo management is now a free item for everyone. Good thing for Digicam users IMO.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    gsxrboygsxrboy Posts: 565member
    It has some very iPhoto looking sliders and such operations.. did they piggy back on the Apple usage or did Apple have a look around when they did iPhoto?
  • Reply 4 of 12
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Would someone please explain what Google gain from aquiring Picasa and then give it away?

-They don´t sell the product so they aren´t making any money directly from it.

-Their core product hasn´t anything to do with manipulating pictures and low volume storage.

Whats the deal here?
  • Reply 5 of 12
    jaredjared Posts: 639member
    Quote:

Last time I checked iPhoto was no longer free.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    gsxrboygsxrboy Posts: 565member
    Things to gain form the deal?

The software will prob link up with storing piccies on your gmail acc... money for printing them etc
  • Reply 7 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jared

Semantics. It's free for new computer buyers.

Google will tie Picasa into some Blogging features but "how" isn't exactly known yet.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    jaredjared Posts: 639member
    Quote:

Semantics. It's free for new computer buyers.

I do not consider a minimum purchase of $799.00 free. Picasa free? Yes.

Anyway, this is a good move for Apple too as they will have to offer more in iPhoto.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Woo hoo, the price is now right! I can delete my Picasa hack and go legal...

• Reply 10 of 12
    Hell Google just may be showing Apple where they need to go.

.mac needs a blogging feature. But, you can't make blogging popular charging $8 a month. Therefore Apple should create a blogging service available to everyone at a basic level. .mac subscribers would have better features like using iPhoto pics in their blogs just like Google is doing with Picasa.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jared

i was going to post on this, but actually, unless it was a mistake, it now IS free... no lie. i just reinstalled my work computer on monday, and went through all the automated updates through software update after my clean panther install.

well, i do not own ilife, yet when i got back from lunch and ran iphoto to check on my photo libraries i had retrieved from backup, lo and behold, i was looking at iphoto 4.

either it's free now with no fanfare, or i just got way lucky.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

Woo hoo, the price is now right! I can delete my Picasa hack and go legal...

All jokes aside, I downloaded it and have been playing with it, it is no iPhoto, but it kicks ass and takes names compared to other windows apps that I have seen, adobe didn't do this good, or even close, and it is way more expencive than...FREE...

THANKS GOOGLE, YOU GUYS ROCK