Finder Column Width

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Is there a way to fix the column width for a new finder window? Mine opens into my documents folder and I'd like the column to be about 2x the width it is now. I have some rather large file names there and it's an annoyance to have to resize the column everytime I want to browse my files that way.

Edit: Not sure if this belongs in Software or here. Sorry.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    keeperkeeper Posts: 8member
    Found this at macosxhints:

Quote:

Resize-to-fit all column-view columns

Wed, Dec 12 '01 at 03:42PM ? from: Buddha

_

Here is a handy tip for Finder column view junkies (like myself). If you double click on a column resize widget, all columns will resize to the width of the longest named item in that column. I find this trick especially useful when looking for items with long names that are similar - like Preferences.

Better, but not quite what I'm looking for. There must be some pref I can edit.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    jambojambo Posts: 3,036member
    Moving to Genius Bar...
  • Reply 3 of 7
    keeperkeeper Posts: 8member
    Ah! I found it! Option-Drag the resize widget and close the finder window. Re-open the finder window and viola' - it sets the column to my prescribed width!
  • Reply 4 of 7
    rberry88rberry88 Posts: 30member
    Cool, this newbie just learned another new thing today. This comes in useful when browsing my iTunes Library folder.

rberry88
  • Reply 5 of 7
    gperksgperks Posts: 3member
    You can also double-click on the column sizing button to have it size to the column's contents.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by gperks

You can also double-click on the column sizing button to have it size to the column's contents.

Yes, but it's anoying to do that everytime for every new finder window.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    vox barbaravox barbara Posts: 2,021member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Keeper

Ah! I found it! Option-Drag the resize widget and close the finder window. Re-open the finder window and viola' - it sets the column to my prescribed width!

Good, but why option-drag? Just draging to the desired width and height should be fine, - than close the window. The finder remembers the last move you set for one particular finder window. Btw, option double click onto one resize widget (in column view) resizes all columns for better viewing long filenames. You know, "fit to content" rules here in mac realm.

BUT on rare occasions the finder just plays amnesia... well, another story.

best