AirPort Express Question (for those who have it)

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Can you play music shared from another library through it?

I have an iMac that houses my full iTunes Library, and currently use an old PB to recieve a stream of that library (Rendevous Sharing) to my stereo.

I also have 2 other Mac laptops in my house.

The question is, can I pop open a Powerbook, open iTunes and select my iMac as the source library, and use Airtunes to have the songs play through my stereo. This would give me what I want most...The ability to kick back on the couch and use my PB as a remote.

Thanks to anyone who can test this for me!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    Yes...

You Anything you can hear through iTunes, will be sent to AirTunes.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    m01etym01ety Posts: 278member
    Another question: Can you disable SSID broadcasting on the Airport Express?
  • Reply 3 of 15
    Yes, you can disable broadcast SSID: in the configuration utility it is turned off via a checkbox titled "Create a closed network".

John
  • Reply 4 of 15
    jante99jante99 Posts: 539member
    Another question: If you play a DVD will the audio be sent to the Airport Express and play out of your stereo? Or does the Airport Express only work with iTunes?
  • Reply 5 of 15
    As far as I know, only iTunes.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    sport73sport73 Posts: 438member
    Anyone know if it can be easily configured to join an existing WIRED LAN?

I'm hoping to use it to replace my existing 802.11b Linksys Wireless AP. Some of my Mac clients are wired, and others are wireless. The wired clients are served by a Linksys WIRED Router. When configuring the old AP, I turned off DHCP and gave it an IP one above the wired router (192.168.1.2). This allowed wired and wireless clients to co-exist on the same network.

How can I accomplish this with the AE? Without putting them on the same network, the wired clients can't talk to the wireless ones.

Any insight is appreciated. Linksys Wired to AE and wired clients; AE to wireless clients. Same network. That's the goal. Thanks!!!
  • Reply 7 of 15
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jante99

Another question: If you play a DVD will the audio be sent to the Airport Express and play out of your stereo? Or does the Airport Express only work with iTunes?

No. This is a feature I hope and expect will be added to DVD Player in the very near future. For now, we're stuck with wires for DVDs.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    cpenzonecpenzone Posts: 114member
    I know the site says it can't be used as a bridge for the older Airport models, but can the older Airport models be used as a bridge for the express???
  • Reply 9 of 15
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:

Originally posted by iDave

No. This is a feature I hope and expect will be added to DVD Player in the very near future. For now, we're stuck with wires for DVDs.

This would be great for a home theater PC. Although a cord is still needed for video, I would put the computer right next to my projector. No need for a fifty-three foot audio cable now.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    reidreid Posts: 190member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Sport73

Anyone know if it can be easily configured to join an existing WIRED LAN?

Yes, just run an ethernet cable from your router to the Airport Express.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by Reid

Yes, just run an ethernet cable from your router to the Airport Express.

Obviously. I'm going to try that first. The point is that Wired and Wireless clients can be unable to communicate when 2 local devices are acting as DHCP servers. I had this conflict with my original setup and had to change it. No problem, as long as AE supports the same change.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    Got it home and hooked it up last night...

AWESOME. I love this little thing!

The setup was fairly easy, though the Setup Assistant did not offer the options necessary to configure the device to join my WIRED network as only a bridge (and not as a DHCP server). So, at first I was unable to get WIRED/WIRELESS clients to talk to one-another. Using Airport Admin utility it was easy to turn off the AE's DHCP server and manually set the IP address to 192.168.1.2 (next sequential from the Wired Router).

After that, everything worked flawlessly.

I was particularly surprised by how well the AE/Airtunes performed on my DEMANDING request. My music is on my iMac which is a WIRED client on the network. The AE is installed in the entertainment center to bring iTunes music to the Home Stereo. The AE is likewise WIRED into the network and acts as a bridge to wireless clients. My goal has been to use my assortment of old PowerBooks, iBooks etc. as 'Remote Conrols" for my iTunes library. The iMac shares music, and the wireless clients "See" that music as shared in iTunes.

Select the iMac library on an 802.11b (yes, B) iBook, and the music is (to my knowledge, streamed from the iMac, through the wired network, to the AE, to the iBook, and then back to the AE (since the iBook is that actual 'host' of the Airtunes session). I could walk throughout my house this why without so much as a stutter in the music. AWESOME!
  • Reply 13 of 15
    madmax559madmax559 Posts: 596member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Sport73

Got it home and hooked it up last night...

AWESOME. I love this little thing!

The setup was fairly easy, though the Setup Assistant did not offer the options necessary to configure the device to join my WIRED network as only a bridge (and not as a DHCP server). So, at first I was unable to get WIRED/WIRELESS

hi can you test it as a wireless bridge ?

heres what i want to do

all ip's are static

upstairs

network -> airport (not extreme)

downstairs

airport express (wifi bridge to airport above)

-> lan port -> tivo

-> audio -> stereo

NOTE: the express is NOT extending the wifi signal

for the airport. its being setup as a bridge/router

I DONT have cat5 downstairs

quite simple but im unable to get an answer

from the apple store guys

so if anyone has tested this config please reply
  • Reply 14 of 15
    brentsgbrentsg Posts: 17member
    I've bridged from an Airport Extreme wired to a switch and a Sonicwall firewall. The Sonicwall is providing DHCP.

On the other end is the Airport Express, wired to a switch, wired to several Ethernet devices (xbox, PS2, Gamecube).

The distance the wireless segment spans is from a basement to a 2nd floor on the other end of the house.

Using Airport Extremes on each end of the bridge gives me ~2500KB/s throughput. Using the Airport Express on one end gives less than 100KB/s throuput. Adding another Airport Express as a relay in between improved throughput to ~600-700KB/s.

In other words, it works but the range is much more limited than the Airport Extreme.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    madmax559madmax559 Posts: 596member
    Quote:

Originally posted by brentsg

I've bridged from an Airport Extreme wired to a switch and a Sonicwall firewall. The Sonicwall is providing DHCP.

On the other end is the Airport Express, wired to a switch, wired to several Ethernet devices (xbox, PS2, Gamecube).

The distance the wireless segment spans is from a basement to a 2nd floor on the other end of the house.

Using Airport Extremes on each end of the bridge gives me ~2500KB/s throughput. Using the Airport Express on one end gives less than 100KB/s throuput. Adding another Airport Express as a relay in between improved throughput to ~600-700KB/s.

In other words, it works but the range is much more limited than the Airport Extreme.

ahh im looking at the same thing except one end of the wifi bridge

is an airport (not extreme)

so the q is is that possible