"New" iPod release is Monday!

Comments

• Reply 21 of 59
    gensorgensor Posts: 48member
    AppleNova had article posted but pulled. It said that the new iPOD would be intro on Newsweek cover story hittig airports Sunday night and newstands Monday. Said that Newsweek had been at Apple headquarters to do feature.
  • Reply 22 of 59
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    HPods will be available in many more places then the iPod. HP has 10 times the retail distribution then Apple, or something like that. If a person is buying a HP computer and the pod is nearby, of course they'll buy it there rather then searching out another store for an iPod. Of course if they went to Best Buy they'd spend at least a half an hour trying to find it before giving up and asking where they are! (At that point you might or might be told where they are).
  • Reply 23 of 59
    Removed
  • Reply 24 of 59
    gensor,

Sounds like it could be. Remember Time Magainze introed the Flat Panel iMac on its cover, although the website in Canada accidentally let the cat out of the bag before Steve could do the unveiling at MacWorld. Let's keep an eye on the Newsweek website!!!
  • Reply 25 of 59
    In regards to an iPod mini being introduced in August. It could be a slimmer model. Hitachi several months ago stated that future versions of the 1 inch drive could be imedded into the circuit board of the device thus reducing the amount of space it takes what with the current version requiring a bulky ribbon connector, etc. I'd speculate that the mini will be slimmer but probably have the same 4 GB drive since Apple has said Hitachi cannot catch up with demand anytime soon.
  • Reply 26 of 59
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Originally posted by NittanyLionTosh

Apple will not announce the new models through a press event, though Think Secret has learned that the announcement will be delivered through an out-of-the-ordinary publicity medium.

What is this all about?

they willl be dropped from a helicopter high above cincinnati.

when questioned afterwards, steve will be quoted as saying "as god as my witness, i thought ipods could fly."

• Reply 27 of 59
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

they willl be dropped from a helicopter high above cincinnati.

when questioned afterwards, steve will be quoted as saying "as god as my witness, i thought ipods could fly."

Obscure WKRP in Cincinnati reference alert! Obscure WKRP in Cincinnati reference alert!
  • Reply 28 of 59
    My iPod can fly.
  • Reply 29 of 59
    Quote:

My iPod can fly.

Sure. And so can elephants!
  • Reply 30 of 59
    Yeah, my iPod and my elephant like to fly together. His name is Pinky.
  • Reply 31 of 59
    chris cuillachris cuilla Posts: 4,825member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacsRGood4U

Chris. HP cares about the technology and they simply won't get last years model to sell. Your conclusion is somewhat puzzling. Also, how do you know they will charge less? Give us your source. It's a totally bizarre comment methinks.

P.S. HP only cares about making money? Duh. And Apple doesn't. HP is a very good company. They are, of the major PC makers (other then IBM) a highly techological one with many, many patents and innovations. You need to do some research and smell the truth, or roses, or whatever.

I'm fully aware of HP's technological history (though less intriguing these days). But the real point is that this is a business deal. The technology doesn't matter as much. Not to mention that 3G and 4G are unlikely to be significantly different...but enough for Apple and HP to distinguish them from one another. As far as cheaper...I thought I had read that in the initial news on the subject. No matter though...the assumption that NO one would buy the "older" one doesn't necessarily hold water. Not everyone is like those on this board (some of which have just eBay'ed their current iPods on the rumor of a newer iPod...just to have the very latest.)

Most PEOPLE don't care much of the technology either (HD vs. Flash...AAC vs. WMA...most people don't know or care)...This was my real point.

P.S. And, yes, I know that Apple is about making $ too.
  • Reply 32 of 59
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ibook911

I just ordered an ipod on Wednesday with engraving. ?This sucks!

You will love it anyway.

Hm, non-traditional medium, or maybe overlooked old medium? They can send junk snail mail across America! Worked for AOL, right?
  • Reply 33 of 59
    Quote:

Not to mention that 3G and 4G are unlikely to be significantly different.

Again you are making assumptions not based on any knowledge that you are willing to share. HP would never take a product that was in any way inferior. Their buyers expect nothing less. They will take advantage of the new gen iPod just as Apple will.

"People", you seem to speak for everyone, "don't care about the technology?" They seem to care a lot as hard drive players are taking over the market. Flash players are going the way of the floppy disc sooner then later. Give Apple some credit for that. You speak in generalities too much it seems to me. In any event Monday will be interesting on the iPod front. I expect HP to start promoting their version soon after Apple unveils the new one. That's probably why, and this is a guess, they haven't started selling their hPod up to now.
  • Reply 34 of 59
    sneakysneaky Posts: 6member
    I posted this as another thread and shopuld have put it here.

New Ipod from Apple

• Reply 35 of 59
    Does premature publication by Newsweek count as "out of the ordinary." Actually, this how about half of Apple's new products get presented
  • Reply 36 of 59
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacsRGood4U

Again you are making assumptions not based on any knowledge that you are willing to share. HP would never take a product that was in any way inferior. Their buyers expect nothing less. They will take advantage of the new gen iPod just as Apple will.

um....for someone who checks pr news wires apparently constantly how could you be so in the dark about this?

the deal is HP gets the 3G iPod. It's been that way from the initial announcement. This is very public info and the way it is.
  • Reply 37 of 59
    When the iPod first came out, I didn't "get it." I thought it was overpriced, not very useful, and it would fail. Over time, however, I slowly warmed up to the iPod. My roommate got one and more and more people got theirs too. Eventually I started playing with them at CompUSA and the Apple stores. I also started fantasizing of the songs I would hear on my iPod on my way to work. After I played with the mini iPods I started saying "If Apple makes a regular iPod with the 'clickable' wheel of the mini iPod I will get one." Now the time has come. My birthday is October 9. I'm getting one then.
  • Reply 38 of 59
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,823member
    Quote:

Originally posted by murk

I think it means that Mac OS Rumors will be making the announcement.

murk - love it!
  • Reply 39 of 59
    ~ufo~~ufo~ Posts: 245member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chris Cuilla

Not going to happen. That's not an iPod. Frankly it would destroy the simplicity that is the iPod. And why do I want a GPS in my iPod anyway?

Yeah, it won't happen anytime soon I'm sure....

would it destroy the simplicity? that is likely even probable but hey, getting a personal computer to be easy to use must have presented a far greater challenge. agreed?

Never say never.

Why a GPS on a handheld device? Ever get lost on your bicycle or on foot because you didn't pay attention to where you were going all throughout your favorite song? Well you prolly live in America where few people use bicycles to get around and all the street plans consist of perfectly arranged squares.... I however are from Europe where most towns still roughly have the same street plans as they did in the mid ages and therefore present somewhat more of a challenge to find one's way.

Ever bought something on ebay from someone and need to pick it up in a district you were not familiar with? Had to take the sub and resume on foot? It would be damn handy. However, the best thing about all that is car integration..... You'd have your music, phone and GPS all in one central device... And you could take all that convenience with you when you step out of your car..... I would love it to death !

If Apple aren't going to make one then I sure as hell hope somebody does soon !

who's with me?
  • Reply 40 of 59
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ~ufo~

who's with me?

look outside your window, do you actually want to go out with this big cloud hanging over your town. blame it to the weather but no, i'm not with you today

(i'm in such a foul mood)