Anyway to play Xbox on my cinema display?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I was wondering anyone out there knew how to connect an xbox to a cinema display... I understand the irony of connecting a microsoft product to an apple display, but such is not of much relevance.

I have a 20 inch older cinema display... I have the adaptor for it to connect to my powerbook g4 and the little adaptor that came with the laptop... please let me know what else I would need.

thanks in advance...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Originally posted by myungjin

I was wondering anyone out there knew how to connect an xbox to a cinema display... I understand the irony of connecting a microsoft product to an apple display, but such is not of much relevance.

I have a 20 inch older cinema display... I have the adaptor for it to connect to my powerbook g4 and the little adaptor that came with the laptop... please let me know what else I would need.

thanks in advance...

I don't think the xbox has a DVI output.....so, no easy way really.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    I found it on the internet somewhere, it said to connect the ADC to the female VGA adapter then connect to this product called x2vga...

what is the native resolution for this display? 480, 720, or 1080? thanks..
  • Reply 3 of 12
    Quote:

I found it on the internet somewhere, it said to connect the ADC to the female VGA adapter then connect to this product called x2vga...

what is the native resolution for this display? 480, 720, or 1080? thanks..

the cinema display is digital though which wont easily convert to plain ol VGA as I have unfortunately learned.

the native resolution of the old display was 1,680-by-1,050 so it doesn't natively support any of those
  • Reply 4 of 12
    mmmpiemmmpie Posts: 628member
    What sort of computer have you got? The cheapest easiest way is to use a tv tuner card.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by mmmpie

What sort of computer have you got? The cheapest easiest way is to use a tv tuner card.

apparently a Powerbook...so, that isn't an option either since USB/Firewire inputs have a lag.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    try one of these:

http://www.viewsonic.com/products/tv...sors/vb50hrtv/

they're a bit pricey, but they might solve your problem.

you can get them at bestbuy even. so getting your hands on one shouldn't be a problem.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by JohnnyTwoToes

try one of these:

http://www.viewsonic.com/products/tv...sors/vb50hrtv/

they're a bit pricey, but they might solve your problem.

you can get them at bestbuy even. so getting your hands on one shouldn't be a problem.

doesn't support widescreen and high res
  • Reply 8 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by applenut

doesn't support widescreen and high res

applenut you seem to know a lot about this topic. have you used the x2vga connector? That seems to be the best converter... I was wondering if you had any experience with it?

(www.x2vga.com)

I was going to attach the adc and the dvi->vga plug into the x2vga thing.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    Quote:

applenut you seem to know a lot about this topic. have you used the x2vga connector? That seems to be the best converter... I was wondering if you had any experience with it?

(www.x2vga.com)

I was going to attach the adc and the dvi->vga plug into the x2vga thing.

problem is you can't just use a dvi to vga plug. you need a digital to analog converter box.

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...threadid=44221

\ im kind of surprised that the Xbox doesn't offer an easier solution
  • Reply 10 of 12
    1337_5l4xx0r1337_5l4xx0r Posts: 1,558member
    Y'all DO realize that the xbox outputs for TV (640 x 480) and that connecting it to an IMAX will just blow those same pixels up to huge ugly blocks, right?
  • Reply 11 of 12
    The x2vga seems to be an stop-gap measure that offers the ability to hook to a monitor, but I don't see a reason why the quality will be anything to write home about.

The Dreamcast used to support a VGA connector natively for certain games (DOA2, etc.) and the difference in rendering to screen was interesting to see (better color fidelity and somewhat more polygonal in nature) and high-quality. I think the best you'll get out of current consoles will be component and/or s-video signals to an hdtv monitor.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    a10t2a10t2 Posts: 191member
    What I do is use an ungodly workaround - connect the video outputs of the Xbox to my DV camera and use it as an analog to digital converter, then use an application called Gcam to monitor the Firewire input. It isn't pretty but it works and it's free if you have a Firewire camera. You could also look at Formac's TV/input box.

Connecting directly to the display rather than going through your Powerbook would be trickier and probably more expensive, if it's even possible.

Microsoft does make an S-video adaptor for the Xbox but I don't think you can get that to DVI either.

edit: I did some digging and found this, which references an "upcoming" Xbox DVI adaptor, but I couldn't find any other announcements for it.