What about Quark "Light"

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Who else would like to see a light version of quark? I mean there are a lot of people out here who just don't need a full featured Quark app but want to do some basic layout.

Actually, most software companies offer a light (or Express) version of their software packages. Even Adobe. What is the problem?

Does anybody know a layout app for occasional use, for the devoted hobbiest? And don't lay indesign on me, i can't stand that app.

greetings

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    dstranathandstranathan Posts: 1,717member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Vox Barbara

Who else would like to see a light version of quark? I mean there are a lot of people out here who just don't need a full featured Quark app but want to do some basic layout.

Actually, most software companies offer a light (or Express) version of their software packages. Even Adobe. What is the problem?

Does anybody know a layout app for occasional use, for the devoted hobbiest? And don't lay indesign on me, i can't stand that app.

greetings

I hope Quark, Inc. bleeds a horrible bloody painful death.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Give Create from Stone Design a try. It's $150, free upgrades for life, monthly updates, Cocoa goodness, and a very responsive developer. I use it mainly for layout, but you can also use it for illustration and web publishing (WYSIWYG html). The UI has been updated quite a bit recently for version 12, reflected in the screenshot on those pages but not in other images. Another revision is coming in a few days with new text wrap features plus some odds and ends fixes and changes.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    If you want a light version of Quark have a look at this : ragtime solo It's like a version of Quark Lite and Office in one, plus it's totally free if you're a home user. Excellent program!!
  • Reply 4 of 5
    vox barbaravox barbara Posts: 2,021member
    Thank you, i haven't expected any response any more. "Create" looks good, though, i guess it will suit my needs, and so will ragtime. But don't ask my why - actually i just can't get familiar with ragtime.

best
  • Reply 5 of 5
    I've used Quark for many years and hate it with an almost indescribable fervency. The interface and tools are like the bastard children of the Windows NT and System 7 GUIs.

Since the release of version 2, I've been an InDesign user. It provides an excellent, mac-like alternative to Quark that actually has some distinct advantages over Quark. InDesign CS has these great toolbars that can be "minimized" to the side of your display, which has become indispensable for working with full spreads.

If you own Pagemaker, which used to serve the function of "Quark Lite," I would suggest purchasing InDesign CS Pagemaker Edition. For $349, you get the full version of InDesign plus some plug-ins to transition legacy documents.

If not, purchase the standard InDesign. For $300 less than Quark, I believe you get a much better product that plays very nicely with other Adobe apps. But really, for $999, the standard Adobe Creative Suite is an excellent value. $50 more than Quark gets you Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign. You won't regret that purchase.