New iPod released!

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014

Comments

• Reply 1 of 35
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    No 60 GB yet. As I suspected, variable speed is only for spoken word (audio books) and not for music.
  • Reply 2 of 35
    On the dock, at least Apple is consistent.
  • Reply 3 of 35
    From Apple press release:

Quote:

HP has chosen iPod and iTunes as the best products to integrate in to our digital entertainment strategy,? said Carly Fiorina, chairman and chief executive officer at HP. ?We decided to wait for this amazing new fourth generation iPod, as it will offer our customers an even better experience. HP?s version of the new iPod will be available in September.?

• Reply 4 of 35
    Look (actual size - width, although the bottoms are missing of course):

• Reply 5 of 35
    othelloothello Posts: 1,054member
    does seem that new features are not backward compatible with older ipods.

so is there a new chip, or a new OS?
  • Reply 6 of 35
    ronnronn Posts: 653member
    Just saved my order for a 20-GB version. Waiting a bit to see about upgrading to the 40-GB altho the dock, remote and carrying case are not deal breakers.

Either way, I'm getting my first iPod. Free engraving is nice as well. I think this will get many of us holdouts to finally get on the iPod bandwagon.
  • Reply 7 of 35
    Yup I bought my first iPod this morning at 6:30am. Cant wait for it to come in.
  • Reply 8 of 35
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Wow. The click wheel in the iPod just made me change my mind on the iPod mini! And now I have an extra 16 gigs to boot! Awesome!
  • Reply 9 of 35
    oh yeah. This just made me get my first iPod. Almost bought one last week. Glad I was lazy and waited!
  • Reply 10 of 35
    Can someone post side by side shots comparing the width of the 2 models? This is what I am basing my purchase decision on...

Thanks,

Sceeter
  • Reply 11 of 35
    kenaustuskenaustus Posts: 924member
    Just replaced my old 5 gig with a 40 gig. thought about the 20 gig, but the larger one is only $60 more when you factor in buying a dock for the smaller one.

Looks like this might take some pressure off of the mini - we'll see how long it takes to build up a month or two worth of backorders on this one. Better order fast if you want one for Christmas . . .
  • Reply 12 of 35
    crowescrowes Posts: 13member
    Just placed my order as well. I had an order already placed on the Mini that hasn't shipped yet (due to ship 07/29). Once I saw the new prices, increased functionality, new scroll wheel, and most importantly, increased battery life, my mind was made up. I've cancelled the old order and set myself up with a new one.

And it ships today!!! I should have it by the weekend.

Can't wait.
  • Reply 13 of 35
    cpenzonecpenzone Posts: 114member
    I thought this was kind of a lame update personally but apparently a few of you are excited about it... does anyone know if there is an update for the old iPods that incorporates the new shuffle feature?
  • Reply 14 of 35
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    It's an interesting spin, that the "prices have gone down $100." Actually, what I see is that the two low end models have been upgraded to 20GB and 40GB, which is nice. The $499 model has been temporarily discontinued, probably until 60GB drives are available. The new 20GB model no longer comes with a dock, remote or case, so its so-called $100 price reduction is a little shaky. Marketing!
  • Reply 15 of 35
    Joswiak just said that there will not be a 60 GB iPod in the near future. Check out Macminute.com for details. Obviously, those 60 GB Toshiba drives that Apple is receiving (about 350,000 a month) are for a different product. What could it be? Beats me...
  • Reply 16 of 35
    cpenzonecpenzone Posts: 114member
    I thought this was kind of a lame update personally but apparently a few of you are excited about it... does anyone know if there is an update for the old iPods that incorporates the new shuffle feature?
  • Reply 17 of 35
    Quote:

Originally posted by cpenzone

... does anyone know if there is an update for the old iPods that incorporates the new shuffle feature?

Apparently not. Here's a quote from macminute.com.

"Apple today released iPod Updater 2004-07-15, which supports all models of iPod and iPod mini, including the new fourth generation (4G) iPod. According to Apple, this update includes the latest available software for each model of iPod or iPod mini. It also provides support for the new features of the 4G iPod (Note: this updater will not add these new features to an iPod other than the 4G model.) New features include the ability to shuffle songs with one click, create multiple On-The-Go playlists, delete songs from On-The-Go playlists, select reading playback speed for audiobooks, and improved playback performance."
  • Reply 18 of 35
    g4dudeg4dude Posts: 1,016member
    These new ones are cool but I'd like a 10 or 15gb one for the same price as a mini. Or hell, maybe they could sell a 10 or 15 gb one for $299 and throw in a dock. I don't need a 20BG iPod but I want a dock. Oh well, I'm probably gonna buy one anyway.
  • Reply 19 of 35
    Quote:

Originally posted by G4Dude

These new ones are cool but I'd like a 10 or 15gb one for the same price as a mini. Or hell, maybe they could sell a 10 or 15 gb one for $299 and throw in a dock. I don't need a 20BG iPod but I want a dock.

That's a good idea, but unfortunately there just isn't much of a cost difference between the various drive sizes. I doubt there's more than $15 difference to Apple between the 20GB and 40GB drives; even less between 10GB and 20GB.
  • Reply 20 of 35
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Quote:

Originally posted by G4Dude

These new ones are cool but I'd like a 10 or 15gb one for the same price as a mini. Or hell, maybe they could sell a 10 or 15 gb one for $299 and throw in a dock. I don't need a 20BG iPod but I want a dock. Oh well, I'm probably gonna buy one anyway.

I am fairly sure that with the release of this model you can *easily* get a last generation 15GB or 20GB for the price of a mini very soon. If you are not averse to refurbs then it will be even easier.

I bought a refurb 10GB iPod (second generation) for my wife at Christmas 2002 and it's going strong now with daily use. WHen I recieved it there was absolutely no way to tell it was refurbed. Every item in the box had its protective plastic membrane covering and software/manual/paperwork was same as for new unit. I got a great deal on it at the time from smalldog.com (I don't recall the exact deal but it was well worth it).