Toshiba 60 Gig Drive....What could Apple do with it?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I was hoping this question would come up here,

as today Apple said they had no plans to ship

a 60 Gig iPod at this point. So do you think Apple just

dropped their order with Toshiba after the order leak?

I wouldn't think that Apple would sabotage a new product

release because of the leak, but who knows. What do

you think Apple could be doing/developing with the

60 Gig drives they have on order?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 49
    Hmm. Do you have a link to when Apple placed the order? I definitely was surprised with the lack of a higher capacity iPod.
  • Reply 2 of 49
    http://www.infoworld.com/article/04/...shdrive_1.html

Then today Apple says:

"We are trying to create a much more compelling lineup with two models for 20 and 40 gigabytes at extremely compelling prices."

There's got to be a new device here.

I highly doubt that order leak was false, and

with a statement like Jozwiak's, they won't be using

them in ipods anytime reasonably soon.
  • Reply 3 of 49
    I find it odd that Apple wouldn't use the 60 gig drives, unless it has another use for them. Let's face it, Apple really owns the high-end digital music player market with the iPod. I'm sure they want to keep it as well. Can you imagine Sony coming out with a 60 gig model and not Apple? On the other hand, how much hard drive do you need for a music player? I bet very view would need or want 60 gig. So maybe the climb in hard drive capacity for digial music players has come to a quick peak and its now all about getting the price down.

This still leaves Apple with 60 gig drives and, eventually, a declining revenue stream for its iPods (that may take a bit longer -but not forever- as sales continue to climb). Pictures and video are the only thing i can think of that need lost of storage space, as I don't think these drives are rugged enough or cheap enough for use in laptops.

Things that make you go hmm...
  • Reply 4 of 49
    "The 60GB drive, which was discussed at Taiwan's Computex trade show, is due out in late summer or early autumn, according to a US representative for Toshiba."

Link

Since they don't go into production until August/September, I don't think Apple is going to say "Oh yeah, will be using them in a 60 GB iPod for $499, but it won't ship for 2 months." That wouldn't do sales of the 20 & 40 GB much good.
  • Reply 5 of 49
    nijiniji Posts: 288member
    two possibilities:

1. iPod-like video pod. (40 gigs is way enough for almost all music only needs).

2. removable hard drive: imagine an iPod like removable hard drive that can be plugged into the new iMac, and then taken to the office to plug into yr office machine as well. never be without yr music or anything else! its already well known how to use yr iPod to backup files, etc. the extension of this is to make it painless and easy with more benefit.

thnx
  • Reply 6 of 49
    reidreid Posts: 190member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Carson O'Genic

I don't think these drives are rugged enough or cheap enough for use in laptops.

Aren't they? I mean, they're used in a portable device that's designed to take at least a bit of a beating... who here has never dropped their iPod? Anyway, I don't know how much the size of 2.5" hard drives limit the size of laptops. I guess it could make for lower heat / power consumption and therefore longer battery life. What's the RPM on those 1.8" drives?
  • Reply 7 of 49
    It is for an iPod.
  • Reply 8 of 49
    Yeah, 60 GB is way too much for music. While some may have a library that big, I'm not sure you can listen to all that music with a 12-hour battery, hehe. I think even 1000 songs is a lot of music for a whole weekend.

The 60 GB drive means videoPod. For those who start bleeding when they hear that, chill. We all know iPod is for music, but it doesn't necessarily have to be a white iPod we've all grown to love. Maybe we get a PowerPod or an iPod AV with a larger color screen and all that.
  • Reply 9 of 49
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Quote:

Originally posted by niji

2. removable hard drive: imagine an iPod like removable hard drive that can be plugged into the new iMac, and then taken to the office to plug into yr office machine as well. never be without yr music or anything else! its already well known how to use yr iPod to backup files, etc. the extension of this is to make it painless and easy with more benefit.

Why not just use the firewire or USB 2.0 cable and connect it? That's what I do to move files from home to work.
  • Reply 10 of 49
    Quote:

Originally posted by Reid

Aren't they? I mean, they're used in a portable device that's designed to take at least a bit of a beating... who here has never dropped their iPod? Anyway, I don't know how much the size of 2.5" hard drives limit the size of laptops. I guess it could make for lower heat / power consumption and therefore longer battery life. What's the RPM on those 1.8" drives?

I meant rugged in the sense of continued use. I know you can boot off on iPod, but I've heard running your computer for long times off on iPod is not recommended. This brings up another issue. I imagine that disk activity for a video pod would be much greater than for music. Are these HDs good enough -rugged enough- for the constant reading required while watching a couple of hours of video?
  • Reply 11 of 49
    Quote:

Originally posted by CodeWarrior

"The 60GB drive, which was discussed at Taiwan's Computex trade show, is due out in late summer or early autumn, according to a US representative for Toshiba."

Link

Since they don't go into production until August/September, I don't think Apple is going to say "Oh yeah, will be using them in a 60 GB iPod for $499, but it won't ship for 2 months." That wouldn't do sales of the 20 & 40 GB much good.

I guess the thinking is that the comments by Apple suggest this thing "isn't coming anytime soon." What is soon? My feeling is that soon covers at least September. Maybe your right and they'll come in Fall, but the question of what to do with 60GB of music is still valid.

Apple didn't add anything to the latest crop of Pods to make you want to run out and get a bigger one. The fact that minis are selling better than they can make them tells us that most people really don't use these things for more than music and that they don't need an entire music store in their pockets. So, what does Apple have up its sleeve to make me want to spend half a grand for an iPod that can hold three times the size of my music collection.

I guess i could go back and rip all my CD in the new lossless codec to use up space.
  • Reply 12 of 49
    On a different note: "Apple claims immediate availability of the new iPod, and Hewlett-Packard has confirmed that its HP-branded version of the iPod will be based upon the fourth-generation design, and available in September."

Obviously, Apple is sitting on the 60 GB model because HP will introduce HPods with the current capacity of the Apple iPods. My bet is that Apple will let HP make its Pod announcement, then Apple will unveil the 60 GB as their very own, high end iPod.

Apple will have the mini and the 60 GB exclusively, HP will get the 20 and 40 GB model. That's what I think.
  • Reply 13 of 49
    I'd like to see a 60 GB 'pod that does more than just music. That's a lot of space. iPhoto integration could be nice. If you could store videos and then hook the 'pod to a TV should be even better. Take your iMovies with you, watch it on any tv or projector. Integrated color screen would be best, tho. Movie Store, anyone?
  • Reply 14 of 49
    Quote:

Originally posted by monkeyastronaut

I'd like to see a 60 GB 'pod that does more than just music. That's a lot of space. iPhoto integration could be nice. If you could store videos and then hook the 'pod to a TV should be even better. Take your iMovies with you, watch it on any tv or projector. Integrated color screen would be best, tho. Movie Store, anyone?

Dont forget CD quality live audio recording. That and better photograph integration is what I am after
  • Reply 15 of 49
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    use the 60GB drive in the new iMac so the radiator can fit in there to.
  • Reply 16 of 49
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by monkeyastronaut

Yeah, 60 GB is way too much for music. While some may have a library that big, I'm not sure you can listen to all that music with a 12-hour battery, hehe. I think even 1000 songs is a lot of music for a whole weekend.

i disagree, i thought this morning to order myself a nice 40GB iPod.

but, when i watched my cd-collection, decided that 40GB is too small for it.

my main reason to buy an iPod is to have ALL my music a button click away (anyway, almost all, that 2livecrew cd i got for free may stay on it's place and collect dust) and have some backup space. otherwise i still can use my md-player.

besides that, apple has his new lossless compression. that's roughly 150 cd's on a 40GB HD. there are people out there, who consider mp3, aac, wav etc. is waaaaaaaaaay too inferior for their delicate hearing. maybe they can appreciate an ipod with a higher quality audio. (maybe not)
  • Reply 17 of 49
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:

Originally posted by gar

apple has this new lossless compression. that's roughly 150 cd's on a 40GB HD. there are people out there, who consider mp3, aac, wav etc. is waaaaaaaaaay too inferior for their delicate hearing. maybe they can appreciate an ipod with a higher quality audio. (maybe not)

I am one of those people and am eagerly awaiting higher capacity iPods.

Many audiophiles pour thousands of dollars into gear every year but have yet to invest in an iPod. Apple lossless and high capacity pods will tap into another lucrative market, high end audio.
  • Reply 18 of 49
    Well, another great use for 40 (or 60 GB) iPods is backups. Even if your iPod's battery dies after a couple of years you'll still have a pretty neat portable HD. I might not have good use for 60 GBs of mp3s, but I could share that space with files, pictures, and things I want to keep whenever I need to reinstall MacOS X.

That 60 GB drive could also be a new digital camera where you can store hundreds of high-res pictures. That'd be sweet.
  • Reply 19 of 49
    jadejade Posts: 379member
    I am betting it is going in the new ibook. Apple wanted to get smaller and lighter to better compete the Centrino notebooks. Obviously this hard drive will not kill batteries on the notebook and isn't super hot, allowing for a notebook with improved battery life. And it has a great BS distinction between ibooks and powerbooks. Powerbooks end at 80GB (100GB I am sure is on the way) and ibooks stop at 60GB. Or maybe powerbooks will move to serial ATA.

Thant's my guess.
  • Reply 20 of 49
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jade

I am betting it is going in the new ibook. Apple wanted to get smaller and lighter to better compete the Centrino notebooks. Obviously this hard drive will not kill batteries on the notebook and isn't super hot, allowing for a notebook with improved battery life. And it has a great BS distinction between ibooks and powerbooks. Powerbooks end at 80GB (100GB I am sure is on the way) and ibooks stop at 60GB. Or maybe powerbooks will move to serial ATA.

Thant's my guess.

60GB will be a dead end. the new space requirements would cause disaster for future models as i dont see the small hard drives advancing as fast as the 2.5 inch drives. the drives are also not designed for PC use and run too slow.