Petition for ipod firmware update

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Spreading some news around:

from http://www.spymac.com/forums/showth...readid=&c=0

petition page here: http://www.petitiononline.com/aipodfw/petition.html

We all know that apple added a bunch of firmware enhancements on their new 4g ipod right? (like better battery conservation methods, etc) Well, people are upset that they are left out of the loop of benefits by apple, especially if it is only the firmware that is different, not the hardware (by this I mean a completely new cpu, etc that makes it impossible for the firmware to work on a 3g and earlier ipod).

Basically, the theory is this, apple should AT LEAST make it a paid update if the firmware does not depend on new hardware advancements (like how we pay for a new upgraded OS [ex: windows xp from windows 2000, or 10.3 from 10.2]). Some people do want that update without having to buy a new ipod. Analogy: if tiger came out would you guys think it "right to release Tiger and not have it be capable of running on any older computer - i.e. you have to buy a new computer to get Tiger. Would you all be fans of that?"

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    toweltowel Posts: 1,479member
    Did you post this before or after you found "iPod Updater 2004-07-15" on Software Update?
  • Reply 2 of 8
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Towel

Did you post this before or after you found "iPod Updater 2004-07-15" on Software Update?

Did you post this before or after you read the Read Me for "iPod Updater 2004-07-15"?

Quote:

Read Before You Install iPod Updater

iPod Updater 2004-07-15 includes iPod Software 3.0 for use with iPods with a Click Wheel. iPod Updater 2004-07-15 also includes the latest software versions for iPod mini and the third generation iPod.

With iPod Software 3.0, you can:

Shuffle Songs with one click (using the Shuffle Songs item in the main menu)

Create multiple On-The-Go playlists

Delete songs from On-The-Go playlists

Select reading playback speed for audiobooks

Hear audible click user interface feedback in headphones

Charge via USB connection

Enjoy improved playback performance

For more information about iPod, go to http://www.apple.com/support/ipod.

iPod Updater 2004-07-15 contains the same software versions as iPod Updater 2004-04-28 for all other iPod models.

iPod 3.0 Software is not compatible with other models of iPod, including original scroll wheel and touch wheel iPods, and iPod mini.

• Reply 3 of 8
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    You do realise the 4G iPod has hardware enhancements as well that are probably being utilised by the firmware right?
  • Reply 4 of 8
  • Reply 5 of 8
    low-filow-fi Posts: 357member
    This came around when the 3G iPods came out, and the 2Gs were 'left behind'...and I for one cannot believe it is happening again!
  • Reply 6 of 8
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    My iPod still does everything it was advertised to do when I bought it. I've got the 30GB 3G model. While the new software features are certainly nice I don't recall *anything* saying that Apple would keep adding features to my iPod regardless if it is possible to do it in firmware.

On the battery life issue I'm fairly certain it is a bit more than software tweaks that help the newer one achieve 12hrs battery life. It is extremely unlikely that there is that much wasted charge in the older iPods. It is more likely a better battery coupled with higher efficiency chips (though the tech specs page doesn't go into much detail).

Edit - Does anyone know if the capacity of the firmware chips differs in each generation of iPod? That could be the limiting factor and the reason why with each generation they cannot add features to previous generation devices. It is possible that the whole reason is technical limitation.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    toweltowel Posts: 1,479member
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnq

Did you post this before or after you read the Read Me for "iPod Updater 2004-07-15"?

I hereby eat crow, and my foot. I glanced at the description and completely missed the last two sentences.

You're right, that sucks. I was looking forward to two new little things, having multiple on-the-go playlists and not having to drill down menus to toggle shuffle. I can't imagine why you would need new hardware to make those two little changes. Not updating at least the 3G's seems really dumb.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Towel

I hereby eat crow, and my foot. I glanced at the description and completely missed the last two sentences.

You're right, that sucks. I was looking forward to two new little things, having multiple on-the-go playlists and not having to drill down menus to toggle shuffle. I can't imagine why you would need new hardware to make those two little changes. Not updating at least the 3G's seems really dumb.

I am sure when they build each model they spec out components to save as much money as possible. In some cases they may have used eproms which had just enough capacity for the firmware and not much more. The updated features seem simple but still take some coding to accomplish and previous generation iPods *may* not have the space to accomodate it. I'm honestly not sure but perhaps someone here has a bit more knowledge of iPod guts.