It's Amazing What Reporters Can Come Up With...

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I refer to this article: Apple rolls out cheaper iPods

In particular, the sentence:

Quote:

The US company, best known for its Macintosh computer, has turned to digital music as it has failed to make major gains in the highly competitive personal computer market.

Absolutely amazing...

Food for thought... m.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    existenceexistence Posts: 991member
    I don't see anything wrong with that statement.

It's true.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    Weeeeelll... only a little true. And really only if you feel obliged to consider Apple's success with the iPod in terms of failure -- mostly because Microsoft has a pretty much unbreakable monopoly.

Talk about making lemons out of lemonade...
  • Reply 3 of 10
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Existence

I don't see anything wrong with that statement.

It's true.

You don't see anything wrong because you're a troll. The statement isn't true. They didn't turn to the music industry because they couldn't sell computers.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by bunge

The statement isn't true.

Yes it is. Marketshare and unit sales are nowhere near what they were a few years ago and there is a clear downward trend.

Quote:

They didn't turn to the music industry because they couldn't sell computers.

That's not what the statement says.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

Yes it is. Marketshare and unit sales are nowhere near what they were a few years ago and there is a clear downward trend.

Which isn't what the original quote stated.

Quote:

That's not what the statement says.

Right. Because we all know that 'turned to' does absolutely nothing to tie the two clauses together conceptually.

Troll.

Remember, boys and girls, reading comprehension is FUNdamental!
  • Reply 6 of 10
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    The article was correct enough but honestly whether Apple has failed or not isn't germaine to discussion about iPods frankly. I see this all too often where writers inject too much info that doesn't directly support the thesis of the article. I want to read about iPods not get a history lesson.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    rara Posts: 623member
    That little snippet makes it sound like Apple started selling iPods because they failed with the Mac.

Honestly, I agree with hmurchison; I don't see what value that adds to the article.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Ignore this post if you were being sarcastic.

Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

Which isn't what the original quote stated.

I think it's safe to say if one is losing marketshare, one isn't making "major gains".

Quote:

Right. Because we all know that 'turned to' does absolutely nothing to tie the two clauses together conceptually.

There is no causal connection between the two independent clauses since 'as' is not a synomym for 'because' or 'since'.

Here's an example.

The US company, best known for its Macintosh computer, has turned to digital music as Kickaha's apologetic tendencies have increased.

Quote:

Remember, boys and girls, reading comprehension is FUNdamental!

Yes, it is.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    crazychestercrazychester Posts: 1,339member
    Quote:

There is no causal connection between the two independent clauses since 'as' is not a synomym for 'because' or 'since'.

What's with all the troll business? Seems a little heavy handed.

While 'as' isn't the same as 'because', it seems that the intent was to link the two clauses. Certainly anybody who tried to argue they had made major gains in the computer business would have to be living in Lalaland.

But did they turn to music because of that? I don't know. Steve hasn't been returning my calls lately. But it doesn't seem totally preposterous to suggest that diversification was at least partly prompted by ongoing lacklustre hardware sales.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    bborofkabborofka Posts: 230member
    The iPod and iTMS have become as important, if not more important to Apple than the Mac right now. It's an exploding market that they have a firm grasp on, and they're selling as many iPods as they do Macs a quarter now.

I doubt Apple started selling iPods because they couldn't sell Macs, but it sure seems like the Mac has taken the backburner. Apple's really got to make a comeback for the Mac.