Are Mac users smarter than PC users?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 32
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Let's see... Everybody has the choice of using a computer that doesnt get viruses, is much more stable, and millions of times more secure... And only 3.7% of all those people made the right decision.
  • Reply 22 of 32
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    If nothing else, Mac users are certainly willing to spend a bit of money .

That is something that bothers me when you go to a site which gives problems to Mac users. Why would you want to block out the people the most likely to want to pay for something?
  • Reply 23 of 32
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

Let's see... Everybody has the choice of using a computer that doesnt get viruses, is much more stable, and millions of times more secure... And only 3.7% of all those people made the right decision.

...And only 3.7% could afford to make the right decision.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$\\

And you miss a large point, the key reason you have more security and no viruses is because no attacker wants to piss arround looking for holes three percent of the worlds installed base when the other 97% is so easy to nail with IE exploits.
  • Reply 24 of 32
    Quote:

Originally posted by apple_a_day

...And only 3.7% could afford to make the right decision.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

A good portion of the other 96.3% cited easier access to pirated/borrowed copies of software as compelling reasons to remain more vulnerable .

ps - the relative secutity can be debated to death *but* Unix systems are by far more secure than anything running MS and it is not just a numbers game. There is a good more to be gained from hacking a unix system as more critical data is likely to be stored there. The desktop marketshare argument is false for the most part and is just an excuse MS tries to hide behind.
  • Reply 25 of 32
    Quote:

Originally posted by Bancho

A good portion of the other 96.3% cited easier access to pirated/borrowed copies of software as compelling reasons to remain more vulnerable .

check and mate.

you got it.

Pirating is wrong, but I can get 95% of windows software downloaded and cracked in less time than it takes to go to best buy and pay the $ (But i don't, Why steal when you can get good freebees on freshmeat/sourceforge.)
  • Reply 26 of 32
    Quote:

ps - the relative secutity can be debated to death *but* Unix systems are by far more secure than anything running MS and it is not just a numbers game. There is a good more to be gained from hacking a unix system as more critical data is likely to be stored there. The desktop marketshare argument is false for the most part and is just an excuse MS tries to hide behind.

I was not compairing the so-called security in windows to security on the unix platform, I was simpley saying that - safer or not- Macs get attaced less because few attackers see the benifit of attaking ~3%of tghe computer systems on the net, particularly because unix/linux/apple people tend to give a care about security, unlike most windows users, who dont give a rats ass about security, but why should they, M$ doesnt care about securoty either, if thy did, they would have had SP2 done by now and flooded update cds everywhere (ala AOhelL) but alas, the greedy redmond bastards are going to make it a 300mb+ download...If they ever finish it...
  • Reply 27 of 32
    Quote:

Originally posted by apple_a_day

I was not compairing the so-called security in windows to security on the unix platform, I was simpley saying that - safer or not- Macs get attaced less because few attackers see the benifit of attaking ~3%of tghe computer systems on the net, particularly because unix/linux/apple people tend to give a care about security, unlike most windows users, who dont give a rats ass about security, but why should they, M$ doesnt care about securoty either, if thy did, they would have had SP2 done by now and flooded update cds everywhere (ala AOhelL) but alas, the greedy redmond bastards are going to make it a 300mb+ download...If they ever finish it...

I understand but you sort of have to count it as Unix vs. MS now. OSX has inherited its security from Unix and on the internet Unix is not in any way a minority. I believe there are people devoting resources to hacking Unix (the potential rewards for doing it are higher). The thing is the success rate with messing with MS software is so much higher it just seems to be the most high profile target.

I look at the rewards. What is there to be gained from messing up a Windows box, get their pr0n collection or use it as a zombie for a DDOS attack? Unix systems typically house more valuable and important data and should be a good deal more attractive to hackers.
  • Reply 28 of 32
    Quote:

I understand but you sort of have to count it as Unix vs. MS now. OSX has inherited its security from Unix and on the internet Unix is not in any way a minority. I believe there are people devoting resources to hacking Unix (the potential rewards for doing it are higher). The thing is the success rate with messing with MS software is so much higher it just seems to be the most high profile target.

I look at the rewards. What is there to be gained from messing up a Windows box, get their pr0n collection or use it as a zombie for a DDOS attack? Unix systems typically house more valuable and important data and should be a good deal more attractive to hackers.

You are absolutely correct, Which leads me to think there are very few hackers in the world at all, After reading your post, and putting it with the stats, I have come to a conclusion that, less than 0.002% of "hackers can do anything on their own, the other 99.998% are script kitties who have been doubed "hackers" by Microsoft, because Redmond doesnt want to admit that a 12 year old on a $200 wallmart PC can write a script to fire a DDOS attack anywhere he wishes.

serious hackers dont make the news, that is if they are any good, they get in to a system covertly, get the data they want and leave covertley, looking like little more than a ping, real hackers don't put their friggen names in source code, the only people who do that are looser High school guys who couldn't get a date for their life.
  • Reply 29 of 32
    randycat99randycat99 Posts: 1,919member
    This is neither here nor there. The fact remains that it is simply not a smart choice to pick a PC if you would like to avoid viruses and exploits. If you do risk the compromised security in order to take advantage of the piracy perks, that does suggest something about the relative "ethical intelligence" between Mac and PC users.

The only remaining group are those who use a PC simply because a vital software is only available for the platform. Work is work, and making a living is making a living. No shame there, but you'll take your lumps in other ways as you go along your way.

I am also skeptical that you have that complete an understanding of "true hackers" to cite such a cut'n'dried profile on who they are and who they aren't.
  • Reply 30 of 32
    vox barbaravox barbara Posts: 2,021member
    Quote:

Originally posted by crazychester

... and we smell nicer than them.

aha.
  • Reply 31 of 32
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Mac users are smart, but I dont think windows users are dumb, they are just uninformed about osx, manny didn't like classic os, for a number of reasons...compadibility anyone?

Apple has done absolutely nothing to tell people how cool osx is, they are telling the mac croud, but that is just preaching to the choir, if apple would say "HAY EVERYONE LOOK AT OUR KICKASS OS", folks would take a second look at the mac, and for manny a first.. why does apple refuse to advertise OSX? let's face it, ~80% of those who want an ipod have one. everyone knows what it is. why does apple never publicly mention OSX outside of Stevenotes?
  • Reply 32 of 32
    vox barbaravox barbara Posts: 2,021member
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

...why does apple never publicly mention OSX outside of Stevenotes?

The one and only reason i could think of: Apple doesn't have the strength and capability to produce machines for the masses. Come on, they are not even able to suit their core market (~3%).

If they make their OS public, a lot of people would give apple a try. But then the problem starts

Apple will be a computer niche place for a long long time to come. What is wrong with that?