Electric Guitar Frenzy

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Okay kids,

Which of these Fenders would YOU buy??

http://www.fender.com/products/show....lectricguitars

I kind of like the Jag-Stang and the Strat in arctic white w/ rosewood frets.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    I'm a bass player, and I'm not a big fan of Fender guitars, except, the Telecaster, I really dig that one, sounds great, plays great, and looks great, imo.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    I like Strats: they are very playable, smooth and adaptable though sometimes the sound is too obviously a strat. But their necks are absolutley the best.

I like the looks of the Jag-Stang and the Toranado . . . . but I have never played them so I couldn't say . . . . though I would take one if given . .

Telecasters are nice as well . . .though I find them too thin sounding and not as versatile as Strats . . .and the necks that I tried were all too small.

ho hum . . . I never play these days anymore. . . . I no longer even own an electric guitar . . oh well . . . used to love it so... .
  • Reply 3 of 16
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    Would I be breaking rank to start on electric and then work back toward acoustic? I wanna rock.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by drewprops

Would I be breaking rank to start on electric and then work back toward acoustic? I wanna rock.

start on whatever you want!

heck, I started on trumpet, and now I play bass, though recently I've started to practice more guitar.

Just do what you want, it's music!
  • Reply 5 of 16
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Electrics might be easier to learn on because usually the action is lower and the strings are thinner. Plus you can have more fun with them. But I would get a cheapie rather than a presumably expensive guitar like one of those if it was my first. There are some perfectly good $150 guitars out there.
  • Reply 6 of 16
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    Partial to gibson for electric here, but I suppose you're already set on the fenders.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    A Strat is a good place to start.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

Originally posted by drewprops

i would start on acoustic. an acoustic guitar takes a lot more effort to change chords/hold them out. i suppose it doesnt really matter, but i always like to learn the harder version of something first so that i have a strong basis for the fun/advanced stuff.
  • Reply 9 of 16
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

i would start on acoustic. an acoustic guitar takes a lot more effort to change chords/hold them out. i suppose it doesnt really matter, but i always like to learn the harder version of something first so that i have a strong basis for the fun/advanced stuff.

harder is often a good way to turn someone off however. depends on the person.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

Electrics might be easier to learn on because usually the action is lower and the strings are thinner. Plus you can have more fun with them. But I would get a cheapie rather than a presumably expensive guitar like one of those if it was my first. There are some perfectly good $150 guitars out there.

Start on anything . . . but start with good THICK heavy strings . . . they sound much better, and once you get decent on them you are ready for anything

If you play only with thin strings you are limitting yourself in terms of tone and your fingers never really get the whole range of what they can do.

I would suggest also not playing only electric and also not staying only with picks . . . finger-picking is a good talent and can introduce whole new creative pathways.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    whisperwhisper Posts: 735member
    Have you looked at any other guitars? I've got a strat... Fender's good, Fender's great, but there're other brands out there. Lately I've been thinking about thinking about (not a typo) getting a Schecter C-1 Classic.

It really depends on the kind of music you're into. If you're into hard rock/metal/stuff like that, you should probably grab something with humbuckers. If pop/pop rock is more your style, then go for the single coils. If country is your bag, get something in the style of a telecaster.

Oh, FWIW, I think wammy bars are way overrated. They cause no end of tuning problems for me and all the other guitar players I know. Well, all the ones who play in tune anyway. If you need a wammy bar, get a guitar with a Floyd Rose bridge system. It's the one system I know of that doesn't make the tuning go crazier than my cat.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    kelibkelib Posts: 740member
    Definitely this one. Don't like sunburst that much but would take one with rosewood neck. I'm a bass player me self but have always loved the telecaster. Beautiful instrument
  • Reply 13 of 16
    sammi josammi jo Posts: 4,634member
    Try one of these

Both the bass guitar and the touchboard sound astonishing, especially d.i'ed straight into the board via a well engineered tube bass preamp. I just wish it wasn't so darned big and heavy otherwise I would buy one tomorrow!I think it was made with strapping 6 foot + guys in mind...I look kinda munchkinesque with it round my neck! The bass end is even bigger and deeper than the bottom strings of the Chapman Stick
  • Reply 14 of 16
    madmax559madmax559 Posts: 596member
    be a man sonny

get a gibson & build up them mussels )
  • Reply 15 of 16
    trick falltrick fall Posts: 1,271member
    Gibsons are easier to play. Shorter scale length and all.

I've got a tele, strat and jagstang and the jag has had the most tunes in it so far. Of course I'm a lefty and all my instruments are lefty so maybe I just got some Kurt mojo.
  • Reply 16 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by madmax559

be a man sonny

get a bass & build up them mussels )

fixed it for ya