Can't shutdown, logout, or restart

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hey guys... I can't seem to do anything to shutdown, logout, or restart...

I think it may be because I can't unmount one of my 4 drives... which I can't figure out...

I can force unmount it from Root, but thats it.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 31
    gsxrboygsxrboy Posts: 565member
    I guess you have tried all the usual things, make sure your not using an app/file on the drive that is open.. tried disk utility to unmount it..
  • Reply 2 of 31
    ajonesajones Posts: 24member
    Yea I've tried unmounting the disk... I'm not *using* anything on the drive. The only problem is that my iTunes Library is on there... and iTunes won't quit... well, it does quit but it restarts all the time... any idea?
  • Reply 3 of 31
    r3dx0rr3dx0r Posts: 201member
    if nothing else works, open a terminal and type 'sudo logout' (or reboot), enter your password, hit enter and, well, your computer should logout/restart.

i know osx is a little picky about network drives but i have no idea why it wouldn't work though, never encountered that problem.
  • Reply 4 of 31
    Weird... any chance iDisk could cause this?
  • Reply 5 of 31
    jwri004jwri004 Posts: 626member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ajones

Definitely.

DO you have a process that is running which should not be? (related to iDisk)
  • Reply 6 of 31
    talksense101talksense101 Posts: 1,738member
    Quote:

If you get a message saying "mirror agent" caused logout or whatever to time out, yes. That is an iDisk issue.

Disconnect all firewire devices and check to see if that helps. Check your disk first though.
  • Reply 7 of 31
    I don't get any messages... it just sits there like a stupid PC.... which scares me. The only thing connected is my iPod, which I manually unmounted.
  • Reply 8 of 31
    jambojambo Posts: 3,036member
    Moving to Genius Bar...
  • Reply 9 of 31
    huh?
  • Reply 10 of 31
    Quote:

huh?

You posted in the wrong forum....

• Reply 11 of 31
    Quote:

Originally posted by jwri004

You posted in the wrong forum....

Ok? So What is Genius Bar? That doesn't seem to click...
  • Reply 12 of 31
    Check out www.ipodding.com to eliminate iPod as the source of your trouble. Also, it doesn't hurt to trash iTunes and iTunes preferences to see if the problem goes away. You can always download the new version from Apple's website.

Again, what type of network do you map your drives to?
  • Reply 13 of 31
    I guess I don't understand the network drives question. I don't have any network drives mounted, if that's what you mean. Only the 4 internal drives on my Mac, plus my iPod and iDisk

Is that what you're needing or what?
  • Reply 14 of 31
    Quote:

Ok? So What is Genius Bar? That doesn't seem to click...

Genius Bar is where people might be able to solve any problems you are having. It cuts trough all the other topics and is the generic PLEASE HELP ME forum, which fits nicely with your problem.

• Reply 15 of 31
    Quote:

Only the 4 internal drives on my Mac, plus my iPod and iDisk

iDisk doesn't cause trouble with a always on broadband internet connection. I didn't realise you had four internal drives, so ignore my question on network drives.
  • Reply 16 of 31
    Quote:

Genius Bar is where people might be able to solve any problems you are having. It cuts trough all the other topics and is the generic PLEASE HELP ME forum, which fits nicely with your problem.

I see! Cool. I've been over there offering my 2 cents...

As to my problem, the reason iTunes doesn't seem to want to quit *MIGHT* have to do with the iChatStatus server I have running that pulls the iTunes song info and puts it into my iChat status...

I really DON'T think it's iTunes, but I'm not seeing anything in any of my logs... it's like it's not getting the command...
  • Reply 17 of 31
    In your processes, is mount_webd running when this occurs? I think this relates to the iDisk.
  • Reply 18 of 31
    Quote:

In your processes, is mount_webd running when this occurs? I think this relates to the iDisk.

No, but there is:

Code:

aaron 392 0.0 0.0 31092 388 ?? Ss 11:29PM 0:00.27

/sbin/mount_webdav -o noautomounted -o nobrowse -a12 -S idisk.mac.com/ajonessn /Volumes/ajonessn

• Reply 19 of 31
    No worries guys! I appreciate your ideas... I'll figure something out... I'll probably just write an ApplieScript to run the commands as root...

I'll post the code when I'm done for anyone who has the same problem...

Now for my next question, how the heck to I get a gMail account!!! I want one SOO Bad!
  • Reply 20 of 31
    rogue27rogue27 Posts: 607member
    Quote:

Hey guys... I can't seem to do anything to shutdown, logout, or restart...

I think it may be because I can't unmount one of my 4 drives... which I can't figure out...

I can force unmount it from Root, but thats it.

Any ideas?

I've had this happen to me a couple times. Both times this happened was right after I ran a 10.3.x update while another user was logged in.

The computer just sat there after I clicked restart or shutdown, and I couldn't do anything but force the power off.

I figure it might be a problem with the software update and multiple users not working nicely together, but it could have been a coincidence. This doesn't really sound like it's related to your problem though.