Don't kill yourself with what you eat..

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
American diet trends are leading a majority of Americans down a deadly path of cancer, diabetes and heart disease in numbers far beyond what is normal.

Consider the following:

Soybean oil:

It is used in most name brand salad dressings such as Kraft and is also known as "vegetable oil" which is what most fast food outlets use to fry their foods such as fries in.

Did you know soybean oil is extracted in a way that is not safe? Chemical extraction via Hexane.

Quote:

Soybean oil is currently extracted on an industrial scale by hexane and the largest operating cost in this process is the separation of hexane from the extracted oil. The removal of hexane from the oil is critical because of hexane's demonstrated toxic effects and hexane is listed as a hazardous air pollutant by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency.

USDA government link over Hexane method extraction used with soybean oil

Olive oil on the other hand is cold pressed and has no hexane residue.

HFCS (High Fructose Corn Syrup) it too is dangerous:

Found in most sodas from Coke, Pepsi, Sprite etc.

Quote:

When rats fed a low-copper, high fructose diet were compared with rats fed a low-copper diet high in complex carbohydrates, the difference in longevity was enormous. "Rats normally live for a good two years," explains Meira Fields, Ph.D., research chemist at the USDA in Beltsville, Maryland. "But the rats in my study fed a high-fructose, low copper diets are dying after 5 weeks."

Men's Health link over the dangers of HFCS

When you consider the habits of Americans eating at fast food outlets and consuming soda and fried foods in the measure which americans do there is cause for evaluation.

To make matters worse many americans eat hydrogenated fats which really complicates the matter so much more.

Take a look at this Thread over the French Diet and make some changes to your diet for your health!

Many Blessings !

Fellows

Comments

• Reply 1 of 35
    rara Posts: 623member
    Unfortunately, HFCS has found its way into just about everything. Hydrogenated oils are easier to avoid, but they too seem to be in just about everything. Through very careful manipulation of my diet over the last year, I have been able to eliminate both of these from my daily foods.

Here are two well written articles on the subject of the American diet:

http://www.johnberardi.com/articles/.../dietary_1.htm

http://www.johnberardi.com/articles/.../dietary_2.htm
  • Reply 2 of 35
    rara Posts: 623member
    Here is a good read on HFCS: http://www.drmirkin.com/nutrition/3021.html
  • Reply 3 of 35
    talksense101talksense101 Posts: 1,738member
    Good links.
  • Reply 4 of 35
    jeffyboyjeffyboy Posts: 1,055member
    Funny, I was just coming here to post about a Krispy Kreme glazed donut beverage(!)

Why not just inject the stuff?

J
  • Reply 5 of 35
    talksense101talksense101 Posts: 1,738member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jeffyboy

This year Krispy Kreme's stock has fallen more than 45 percent, with the company citing rising dieting popularity and a more health conscious public, ...

Krispy Kreme Manager 1:

Our customers are becoming smarter and avoiding our shitty food. We need a new product.

Krispy Kreme Manager 2:

No we don't. Lets put the thing through a blender and relabel it. No one will notice...

Krispy Kreme CEO:

Great idea! We won't have to spend money on changing anything.

R.I.P. Krispy Kreme.
  • Reply 6 of 35
    besides getting a blender if they didn't already have one. I never did think high fructose syrup was good for you and now there is proof, but then it's in almost everything (sweet).

each pound of fat in a person is about 3250 calories from what I read, so to lose one pound a week, you basically cut out 500 calories a day from what you normally consume....
  • Reply 7 of 35
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    The thing about this stuff is that a lot of these ingredients are used simply to cut costs on these products. HFCS is really bad for people, but it's cheaper than suger. Olive oil is a hell of a lot better for you too, even the fat in it is "good" fat (1/3 of your calories are supposed to come from fat), but gain, cheaper alternatives are used. Greed contributes to a poor diet as much as anything. That, and not cooking for yourself.
  • Reply 8 of 35
    fellowshipfellowship Posts: 5,038member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

The thing about this stuff is that a lot of these ingredients are used simply to cut costs on these products. HFCS is really bad for people, but it's cheaper than suger. Olive oil is a hell of a lot better for you too, even the fat in it is "good" fat (1/3 of your calories are supposed to come from fat), but gain, cheaper alternatives are used. Greed contributes to a poor diet as much as anything. That, and not cooking for yourself.

You are 100% correct...

suppliers are using the cheapest thing to get the job done...

Cheap does not equal health however.

Fellows
  • Reply 9 of 35
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    What about just 'corn syrup?' Is there a big difference?
  • Reply 10 of 35
    a10t2a10t2 Posts: 191member
    So, to paraphrase, foods high in fats and sugars are bad far you?

Who would have thought...

I realize it isn't quite that simple, but still, use some common sense, people.
  • Reply 11 of 35
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Actually, a certain amount of sugars and fats are good for you, and it depends on what kinds. Too much of anything is bad. Too little of it is bad too. The hard part is figuring out that not all food carries the same amount of energy, and doesn't break down at the same rate in your body. So you can't measure out your meal as 1/3 fat by weight 40% protein by weight and 25% carbohydrates by volume. Fat holds an enormous amount of energy per unit volume, and it's usually mixed in with other things like vitamins and protein anyway. Processed grains generate a lot more sugars and require a lot less energy to break down than whole grains. You can't get all your protein from steak, there are different kinds of amino acids and different minerals your body needs.

Quote:

Originally posted by giant

What about just 'corn syrup?' Is there a big difference?

The high fructose content gives it the sweetness of sugar, actually, sweeter than sugar in about the same quantity. Corn syrup alone, if you were to add it straight, wouldn't be sweet enough with the right quantity. You'd have to add so much that its properties would dominate the concoction -- soupy, syrupy, sticky, hard to bake or dissolve, etc. I'm not sure where the high-fructose variety comes from. I think the corn syrup is chemically altered, that is, processed or cooked to produce the stuff. If it involves burning the stuff directly, it's almost surely bad for you (like how burning tobacco produces all those chemicals), but that might not be what's happening.
  • Reply 12 of 35
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    I'm gonna die. All my favorite food is deep fried and i eat the stuff daily. Not healthy but, err, too hard to give up.

Last week I had over 18,000 calories in one meal. :o
  • Reply 13 of 35
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Quote:

Originally posted by applenut

I'm gonna die. All my favorite food is deep fried and i eat the stuff daily. Not healthy but, err, too hard to give up.

We're all going to die.

I thought I used to take in too many calories, so I cut a whole meal out of my diet.
  • Reply 14 of 35
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Consumables that are made from fat shouldn't be allowed to be called food. I could poop in a can and sell it, but I shouldn't be allowed to call it food.
  • Reply 15 of 35
    existenceexistence Posts: 991member
    Quote:

Originally posted by applenut

Well, you can still eat well. For example, Chick-fil-A uses non-hydrogenated oil.
  • Reply 16 of 35
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Existence

Well, you can still eat well. For example, Chick-fil-A uses non-hydrogenated oil.

yea, i wish they had those up here in NY or out in California
  • Reply 17 of 35
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jeffyboy

Funny, I was just coming here to post about a Krispy Kreme glazed donut beverage(!)

Why not just inject the stuff?

J

From CNN:

Quote:

The Winston-Salem, N.C.-based company said it currently does not have plans to introduce low-carb versions of the new drinks.

• Reply 18 of 35
    fellowshipfellowship Posts: 5,038member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Existence

Not on Sunday The company follows the fourth commandment in the Bible.

quote"Our official statement of corporate purpose says that we exist "to glorify God by being a faithful steward of all that is entrusted to us and to have a positive influence on all who come in contact with Chick-fil-A." That's why we invest in scholarships, character-building programs for kids, foster homes and other community services. Come to think of it, it's also not a bad motive for striving to serve a really, really good sandwich."quote

The Company

Fellowship
  • Reply 19 of 35
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Fellowship

quote"Our official statement of corporate purpose says that we exist "to glorify God by being a faithful steward of all that is entrusted to us and to have a positive influence on all who come in contact with Chick-fil-A." That's why we invest in scholarships, character-building programs for kids, foster homes and other community services. Come to think of it, it's also not a bad motive for striving to serve a really, really good sandwich."quote

The Company

Fellowship

Well, hopefully the chickens that they serve are not from Pilgrim's Pride : Gruesome Video

the whole STORY
  • Reply 20 of 35
    Quote:

Originally posted by Fellowship

Fellowship

http://www.religioustolerance.org/sabbath.htm#move

quote:

In 321 CE, while a Pagan sun-worshiper, the Emperor Constantine declared that Sunday was to be a day of rest throughout the Roman Empire:

"On the venerable day of the Sun let the magistrates and people residing in cities rest, and let all workshops be closed. In the country however persons engaged in agriculture may freely and lawfully continue their pursuits because it often happens that another day is not suitable for gain-sowing or vine planting; lest by neglecting the proper moment for such operations the bounty of heaven should be lost."

The Church Council of Laodicea circa 364 CE ordered that religious observances were to be conducted on Sunday, not Saturday. Sunday became the new Sabbath.

http://www.religioustolerance.org/chr_10c7.htm

quote:

4th Commandment; Verses 8-11: "Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work: But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates: For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it."

This is another commandment that is violated by almost every Christian denomination. God gave a permanent command that the people rest every Saturday. There are numerous biblical passages to confirm this. Constantine, a Pagan Roman sun-worshiper, moved the day of rest to Sunday. The Christian church, at its Council of Laodicea circa 364 CE, ordered that religious observances be moved from Saturday to Sunday.

\t

1st Commandment; Verse 3: "Thou shalt have no other gods before me."

WHY ARE YOU WORSHIPPING THE SUN, FELLOWS?

God gave you a strict command to work for 6 days and worship him on the seventh, BUT YOU chose to worhip on the 1st and work for 6 - The complete opposite to Gods wish! COULD YOU BE ANY MORE DISOBEDIENT to him in this matter?