Is it worth waiting for Powerbook/iBook G5?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hello - Mac beginner here.

Now, thanks to the helpful people here, I've confirmed that I can indeed share files/internet access between a PC and Mac using an Airport Express, I've sorta come to wonder if it is worth waiting for the Powerbook or iBook G5. Now, I'm not one to buy cutting edge, as it depreciates so quickly, but I would appreciate the chance to run the next few versions of OS X without slowdown.

So, is it worth it?

Oh, also, what is the WiFi reception like on the Powerbook/iBook G4's?

Cheers,

Jonathan

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Jonathan,

I think that the G5 portables may still be some time away from reality. I have read elsewhere of heat issues that are making it difficult.

I have a month old G4 with Airport Extreme BS and I am tickled pink with reception anywhere in the house and on the back porch.

I am considering a Dr. Bott antenna that perhaps would allow me to travel poolside (about another 75/100 ft)

I use the G4 for many Mac applications but also Virtual PC (Windows 98)

I am pleased with speed, versatility and performance.

Best of luck with your decision
  • Reply 2 of 4
    If you want to you wait, I'm sure It'll be worth it getting a G5 in a portable, but as macsmadeez pointed out, it may be awhile.... I'm sure you will be more than happy with a the current line up. I'd recommend the 15" model.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    I have a 15in PB G4 1.25 Ghz, but if you don't need the cutting edge, why not get a ibook G4 14.1 in? They're great machines and much cheaper. I would certainly check those out, but they won't get a g5 for some time I'd expect...
  • Reply 4 of 4
    vox barbaravox barbara Posts: 2,021member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hailing

Hello - Mac beginner here.

Now, thanks to the helpful people here, I've confirmed that I can indeed share files/internet access between a PC and Mac using an Airport Express, I've sorta come to wonder if it is worth waiting for the Powerbook or iBook G5. Now, I'm not one to buy cutting edge, as it depreciates so quickly, but I would appreciate the chance to run the next few versions of OS X without slowdown.

So, is it worth it?

Oh, also, what is the WiFi reception like on the Powerbook/iBook G4's?

Cheers,

Jonathan

The one and only rule concerning buying a new computer:

pick up that machine which is available NOW. IF you need one get one NOW.

The iBook G4 is a great machine for nearly all purposes. That includes

Final Cut Ex. Video Editing too my friend (since spanning the monitor is no

issue anymore )

greetings