Speaker recommendation needed!

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I'm renewing my 2 channel stereo equipment. I started out with the amplifier and after thorough search and lots of reading and listening I decided on Marantz PM-17 MKII. As I already have a 'high end' CD player and tuner as well, it's time for deciding which speakers to buy.

I'm into almost every type of music although pure Rock must be highest on my list, like Rolling Stones, Sheryl Crow, Tom Petty, Oases, Pink Floyd, old Genesis stuff as well as bands like Sigurros, Moody Blues and Weather Report. I'm also into classical music, mostly symphonic orchestral.

So, the speakers have to handle every type of music and must do well on good old Rock' n Roll. I'm willing to pay somewhere between $2500 - 3000 (?2000 - 2500). And here I'm in need for your advice, what should I go for? JBL QTI series, B&O, KEF or even 2nd hand Martin Logan?

Any input appreciated

kelib

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    hardheadhardhead Posts: 644member
    kelib, that model is a lot of bang for the buck! Nice...

What size is the listening room?

Do you prefer floor-standing or on-speaker-stands?
  • Reply 2 of 12
    existenceexistence Posts: 991member
    I recommend Jane Goodall, but if you can't afford her $500,000 fee, Bill Clinton does well for around ~$100,000.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    kelibkelib Posts: 740member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hardhead

kelib, that model is a lot of bang for the buck! Nice...

What size is the listening room?

Do you prefer floor-standing or on-speaker-stands?

Hi hardhead, the room is something like 20*17 feet. I would prefer small boxes although quality comes first. My current set of speakers are floor speakers, Jamo Classic 8, OK on Rock'n Roll but nothing special. I have wooden floor but soft cloth furniture in the room. I want 'em to sound good on low volume as well as high. What type of speakers do you have?
  • Reply 4 of 12
    Existence, WTF is the matter with you? Wet your bed again last night?

Anyway, kelib, I have Infinity Intermezzo 4.1 Floor speakers. I love 'em. They are an outstanding compromise for Rock and Classical music lovers like you and I. They would not satisfy a Rock or Classical purist. Give them a listen.

My room dimensions are approximately the same as yours. I too looked at the small box option. Just wasn't happy with what I heard.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    burningwheelburningwheel Posts: 1,827member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Existence

I recommend Jane Goodall, but if you can't afford her $500,000 fee, Bill Clinton does well for around ~$100,000.

i have B&W bookshelf speakers , very nice
  • Reply 6 of 12
    Hell, with that kind of cash...

Definitive Technology BP series. AWESOME. PERIOD.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    faust9faust9 Posts: 1,335member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hardhead

Existence, WTF is the matter with you? Wet your bed again last night?

Wow, someone's sense of humor is on the fritz.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    davechendavechen Posts: 56member
    I've got a pair of JM Lab Electra 915.1's that I really like. That particular model has been discontinued, but now they have the 926's.

Here's a used pair of 926's for sale on Audiogon for $2300:

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....ull&1094854563

Audiogon is a good place to shop for used speakers, and a good forum for home audio, go to AudioAsylum.com.

When I was shopping for speakers I also liked speakers by Sonus Faber and Dynaudio. My friend has a pair of Vienna Acoustic speakers (Mozart is the model, I think) that he likes a lot. My previous speakers were NHT Super Ones, which were decent for cheaper bookshelf speakers.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    I have a pair of NHT Super Ones in my bedroom. Nice little speakers for the money...
  • Reply 10 of 12
    I don't want to derail kelib's thread but he asked for straight-forward advice and opinion.

I find it amusing that some feel their non sequiturs and "weee I'm freaken clever boy..." contributions are at home in any post.

Ehh, just my two cents.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    You might want to audition the Paradigm Studio 20s. Very neutral and suited to a wide range of musics.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    kelibkelib Posts: 740member
    Thanks for your input guys. It's a big dilemma for me but a nice one. In the next 2 weeks or so I'll get some speakers home for testing.

Quote:

Originally posted by His Dudeness

Hell, with that kind of cash...

Definitive Technology BP series. AWESOME. PERIOD.

Do you know if these BP Series speakers are only made in black finish? Just doesn't fit with my other stuff in the living room. I'm getting rather sick of this 'black everything', stereo, computers and so on. As I said, [sound] quality comes first but I don't thing I'll ever be satisfied with black speakers.