Jerry Goldsmith Is Dead

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
This one is really sad for me as I thought he was the best composer in Hollywood.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/SHOWBIZ/07/2....ap/index.html

http://www.aint-it-cool-news.com/display.cgi?id=18009

I know most of you will probably not recognize the name but he was responsible for a lot of great music and themes that set the tone for many of the most popular TV shows and movies ranging from The Man From U.N.C.L.E., The Waltons, Star Trek Voyager to Movies like Star Trek The Motion Picture, Total Recall, Planet Of The Apes, Chinatown and Patton.

He always seem to have a way of making you feel something important was going on while watching the screen.

A really great composer who could write for anything.

If you've watched much you've heard his music.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    Jerry Goldsmith was one of my favourite film composers, he was fluent in varying styles and diverse levels of refinement (his score could even make bearable some really bad movies), which was his way to universality; his music had important impact for some of us who lived their best years between 1945 and 2000.

He will be missed.

Barukh dayan ha-emeth.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    northgatenorthgate Posts: 4,461member
    POLTERGEIST was one of his best scores. No one remembers the music because the whole movie worked so well, but listening to this score separately is absolutely phenomenal. It has so much energy and feeling, yet frightening as hell.

Good stuff. He'll be missed.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    existenceexistence Posts: 991member
    Jerry Goldsmith was the only good thing about Star Trek V.

He will be missed.

• Reply 4 of 6
    daverdaver Posts: 496member
    I'll miss having him around.

For someone who was one of the best avant-garde film and television composers of the 1960s and '70s, he was also one of the last great "classics" still working in Hollywood today. A gifted professional in a class of his own.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    jimmacjimmac Posts: 11,898member
    Forgive me for bumping my own thread but if any of you don't recognize him and are a fan of Total Recall go slap on the DVD as I just did. That opening title sequence is just great with it's futuristic, art deco, martian look. Make sure you have a good stereo to play it through and turn it up. What a great composer!
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Jerry Goldsmith was a fantastic composer. He will be missed.