If she had to choose: you or Apple?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
You love your girlfriend, and she loves you.

You love Apple too (I'd assume a big percentage of the people hanging around here do like Apple?). You are not working for Apple, but have a new job that you like and you get well paid.

She gets a job offer at Apple. If she accepts it, she'll have to live overseas, in a different continent (annoying time zone difference too) than you, for at least one year.

She can't ask for location change. She can't get an Apple job or a 'real' job where you live.

You can't change your location, and her salary will not be enough to support both of you.

Should she choose Apple or you?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    fellowshipfellowship Posts: 5,038member
    Awwww
  • Reply 2 of 13
    toweltowel Posts: 1,479member
    Bah. If you're meant for each other, a year apart is nothing. It will only strengthen a healthy relationship. Besides, think of the fun places you'll get to see when you go visit her.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    pantherpanther Posts: 64member
    The one of us who stays and isn't working for Apple knows better the city and country where she works/will be working. \
  • Reply 4 of 13
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Towel

Bah. If you're meant for each other, a year apart is nothing. It will only strengthen a healthy relationship. Besides, think of the fun places you'll get to see when you go visit her.

I've been apart from my girlfriend for longer than that but finally I'm going to her. I kept chasing the carrot at the end of the stick of 3 frigging companies that either went belly up or undercut me. No more. She comes first this time.

Companies lie, people. it's all cozy cake parties and coffee runs one day and "you can't go on vacation, we need you, oh wait no we don't, we got an 15 Indian slaves for what we pay you instead, so you're fired."

Never put off your life for a company.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Real life, is enough complicated : I don't care thinking about virtuals problems
  • Reply 6 of 13
    pantherpanther Posts: 64member
    Yes, real life problems are different from the virtual problems, and it's not always worth explaining all the situation ... well, can I go any worse than asking advice for love problems on a computer board?
  • Reply 7 of 13
    toweltowel Posts: 1,479member
    Real life is complicated. There's no right answers, just make sure you think through the impact a decision will have on your long-term relationship. Some things may be well worth spending a little time apart, if it fulfills a lifelong goal, or will lead to long-term satisfaction; other things may not be worth it. If Lance Armstrong's wife had forbidden him from riding in the TdF because of all the time he'd be away from home, well, that would have had a majorly negative impact on their relationship (and maybe it did). On the other hand, if my girlfriend wanted to switch from working at a HoVid in town to a HoVid halfway across the country for no good reason, I'd be skeptical. In a healthy relationship, you have to be close, but you also have to help each other fulfill your dreams. The last thing you want is for one person to silently, even unconsciously, resent the other for preventing them from doing something they really wished they had done. It'll help, of course, if you can have honest, open discussions about each other's feelings on such things.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Panther

[B]Should she choose Apple or you?/B]

Hard to say... what kind of hardware discounts would she get? Might be worth it to go party for a year or two, load up on cool stuff and come back to you when she and her dual-core G5s are ready to settle down.

• Reply 9 of 13
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Here's another scenario:

If you had to choose, her or Apple?

• Reply 10 of 13
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Overseas is good.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Moogs

Hard to say... what kind of hardware discounts would she get? Might be worth it to go party for a year or two, load up on cool stuff and come back to you when she and her dual-core G5s are ready to settle down.

• Reply 12 of 13
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Giaguara

• Reply 13 of 13
    dorndorn Posts: 28member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Panther

You love your girlfriend, and she loves you.

You love Apple too (I'd assume a big percentage of the people hanging around here do like Apple?). You are not working for Apple, but have a new job that you like and you get well paid.

She gets a job offer at Apple. If she accepts it, she'll have to live overseas, in a different continent (annoying time zone difference too) than you, for at least one year.

She can't ask for location change. She can't get an Apple job or a 'real' job where you live.

You can't change your location, and her salary will not be enough to support both of you.

Should she choose Apple or you?

So, first of all forgive the obvious faux pas, but is Apple worth it that much for someone you feel that strongly about?

Lets just say yes for the sake of argument (and to avoid me getting lynched here).

At what point did you ever conisder going over there? I'm in an oddly similar situation currently and am working on getting transferred over to an office closer to where i NEED to be. Yea, that means an overseas life but wtf, i would rather be with her.

So, don't just accept this as some kind of detente... If you want option three out of two available ones at least try. In my case, Ireland is a very technology rich country where there's a much higher chance of a transfer than other locations. It may be a pain, I may not make as much over time located there, but I'm putting ever ounce of my effort into making that happen. Simply because its where i need to be.

Overseas relationships suck, we live in a global economy, dont always fall prey to the thinking that everyone has to come to the US (not accusing that you did, just seen this attitude a lot)

And after all, wouldn't you be in a good position to be at Apple too then?

regards as always.