Jack Black to play Green Lantern

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=17971

Jack Black signs on to play Green Lantern in a "zany" action comedy in the vein of "The Mask."

As a fan of Green Lantern, I have to say this sounds like a terrible mistake. An interesting character and excellent concept for super powers will be presented as an obnoxious moron buoyed by crappy CGI.

Or am I just being pessimistic?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    jimmacjimmac Posts: 11,898member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gizzmonic

http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=17971

Jack Black signs on to play Green Lantern in a "zany" action comedy in the vein of "The Mask."

As a fan of Green Lantern, I have to say this sounds like a terrible mistake. An interesting character and excellent concept for super powers will be presented as an obnoxious moron buoyed by crappy CGI.

Or am I just being pessimistic?

This is kind of bad news as I've always thought of Green Lantern as the most interesting of the super hero types. I've always wondered why they didn't make a movie about Green Lantern so I hope this isn't stupid.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    faust9faust9 Posts: 1,335member
    Did they get their hooks into Jackie Chan too?
  • Reply 3 of 12
    jeffyboyjeffyboy Posts: 1,055member
    Oh, man, they're missing the chance to make an incredible movie if they go hokey with this.

The Power Ring + today's CGI: so many possibilities!

"...beware my power: Green Lantern's light!" has the potential to send even more chills up my geek-spine than "Go get 'em Tiger!" did.

J
  • Reply 4 of 12
    steve666steve666 Posts: 2,600member
    Someone needs to explain to me the fact that Jack Black gets any jobs at all. He is obnoxious and not funny. Next explain the popularity of Tom Cruise, an ***wipe who cant act his way out of a paper bag.

Edit by Fran441: Language edit.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    well, if this is true, then i am assuming they are doing the "guy gardner" version of green lantern, which, actually, i could see black playing pretty well.

btu geez, the green lantern thing could be done in a trilogy very well, with hal jordan being the first lantern, his fall, and then guy gardner and kyle rayner.

well, anyway....
  • Reply 6 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

btu geez, the green lantern thing could be done in a trilogy very well, with hal jordan being the first lantern, his fall, and then guy gardner and kyle rayner.

I hadn't thought about that (I'm a Hal guy all the way) but it'd be a really cool way to do it.

3 movies with 3 very different protagonists-sweet.

I was thinking it would be neat to make it an almost GL war movie, where the whole Green Lantern Corps team up to fight an intergalactic army of some sort.

Either of those ideas would set it apart from the other superhero movies.

J
  • Reply 7 of 12
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Green Lantern is one of the only superhero stories I had an interest in. I would think that story would be worth more than a shlocky camp revival, but at least Spiderman, the only other interesting superhero character, is being covered well. I mean, geez, I'd rather see Jack Black as Arthur!
  • Reply 8 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gizzmonic

presented as an obnoxious moron

I didn't follow The Green Lantern religiously, but there were so many of them (I remember picking up an issue of "Green Lanter Corps" a few decades ago), I'm guessing a few of them were probably obnoxious.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    gizzmonicgizzmonic Posts: 511member
    I like Guy Gardner best, but I think a movie should have all 3 main GLs (Hal, Guy, and John)

How about this:

1. Abin Sur recruits Hal, Guy (still in a coma), and John from Earth along with countless other prospects as he travels the galaxy recruiting.

2. On the way back to Oa (GL base planet) he is killed by a mysterious storm (later revealed to be Sinestro, the rogue GL).

3. Hal takes the ring and uses it to repair Abin Sur's ship just in the nick of time.

4. Guy is awakened from his coma by the Guardians (GL bosses, like blue Yodas) and he tries to beat up everything in sight. Guardians are seen as aloof holier-than-thou jerks.

5. Hal and Guy are given to Kilowog for training, John to Katma Tui.

6. Big showdown at the end where Legion, the Qwardians, and Sinestro fight the GL Corps. Hal takes all the GL power from the battery to defeat Legion; Sinestro, Katma Tui killed.

7. Hal berated by Guardians, then offered Katma Tui's position as GL trainer...end

Could set up a trilogy where the second is Hal taking all the GL power, Guy quitting the corps and getting the yellow ring, and John becoming the last Guardian...setting the 3rd movie for a Corps reunion maybe featuring Kyle, whaddya think?
  • Reply 10 of 12
    Sounds like a movie I'd love, Gizzmonic. Heck why not go back to Allan Scott while we're at it?

Of course all the stuff we're throwing around here is probably a little much for non-comic reading moviegoers to get their minds around, but screw them, right?

On a super-hero sidenote:

Is anyone else here playing the new Spider-Man 2 video game? It rules! The mission mode is fun, but the best thing is web-slinging (which they got perfect) around New York City in the open-ended Grand Theft Auto style solving random crimes. So addictive!

J
  • Reply 11 of 12
    jimdreamworxjimdreamworx Posts: 1,095member
    Could be worse. Someone in Hollywood might cast Adam West for the role of Batman. Wait a minute...
  • Reply 12 of 12
    leppoleppo Posts: 66member
    Maybe he's playing G'nort.

That's the only GL character I'd trust him with.