I got duplicate entries when I use the "Open with" contextual menu

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Is there someplace in OSX where I can edit available applications so that there are no duplicate choices?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    jambojambo Posts: 3,036member
    You need to use the following Terminal command to rebuild your LaunchServices database:

/System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/\\

Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Support/lsregister \\

-kill -r -domain local -domain system -domain user

Copy and paste the above into Terminal and let it run.

Jambo
  • Reply 2 of 3
    randycat99randycat99 Posts: 1,919member
    Daaayamn! That's quite a command line there. Thanks for the info!

EDIT: Still having some trouble getting this command to work. Is this supposed to be one big line (i.e., what's with the forward slashes)? Bash replies twice with "no such file or directory" and then a "kill command not found".
  • Reply 3 of 3
    randycat99randycat99 Posts: 1,919member
    Well, I figured to take out those end of line slashes, and then the command did "something". The "open with" lists certainly seem shorter with no duplicates. I just have a minor problem with WMV files appearing with a "padlock" icon now, instead of the WMV icon.

I take it this process takes a bit of time to complete. ...cuz last night it seemed that the command didn't do anything, but today the effects are apparent. So I'm guessing it must have completed its work sometime after I put my laptop down last night and the time it went into sleep mode.

Thanks for the info. I sure wouldn't have come up with a command line like that on my own!