3G iPod Owner, Confused!@!

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Is it just me, or does anyone else find it ridiculous that the rest of us are not getting the newest software version. There is no reason we should not be getting at least shuffle and new hierarchy, other things like speed up or down may require new hardware (doubtful), but other things are asanine. They better release the 3.0 for the older (but still just as good) iPods.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    I'm really not sure why people expect firmware updates in consumer electronics. Unless it is to correct a bug it isn't the norm for most companies and what you bought certainly still does what was advertised.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    chris cuillachris cuilla Posts: 4,825member
    While I would certainly like to have a firmware update (if it is even possible)...I'm not going to whine. My 3G still works the same as it did yesterday. Life goes on. I'll upgrade eventually...but I figure I ought to own the thing at least year. That's just me though.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Yeah, I was bummed out too when my 1st gen iPod couldn't run v.2 that was available only for "docked" models.

But it wasn't the end of the world and I suppose there is a limit to how far back a company is obligated to support.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    An Apple spokesperson said that some of the new features on the 4G iPod are hardware specific and not from firmware. When you buy a product you should understand that it won't always be updated forever. There have been some updates for 3G iPods and there may be more. Don't expect better battery life however, since the new battery is slightly larger then the one you have. You can buy a battery from some 3rd party vendors that have higher play ratings for the 3G iPods.

When you buy a car, does the auto company give you free upgrades on components? Do you get improvements to your television after you buy it. Of course you don't. Apple has been, to my mind, very generous in giving free upgrades - upgrades that are more then just window dressing. Gimmie, gimmie is not the way things should be methinks.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    chris cuillachris cuilla Posts: 4,825member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacsRGood4U

An Apple spokesperson said that some of the new features on the 4G iPod are hardware specific and not from firmware. When you buy a product you should understand that it won't always be updated forever. There have been some updates for 3G iPods and there may be more. Don't expect better battery life however, since the new battery is slightly larger then the one you have. You can buy a battery from some 3rd party vendors that have higher play ratings for the 3G iPods.

When you buy a car, does the auto company give you free upgrades on components? Do you get improvements to your television after you buy it. Of course you don't. Apple has been, to my mind, very generous in giving free upgrades - upgrades that are more then just window dressing. Gimmie, gimmie is not the way things should be methinks.

I totally agree. The iPod is an appliance...you buy it "as is". I am grateful that they do provide some bug/defect fixes (because they have a way of doing that), but I totally understand from both a business and technological perspective why they don't always upgrade everything.

In a way they are keeping things really simple.

Incidentally, this is the way it is with most products you buy. Computer software is the rare exception.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    There may be no room in the flash memory to accommodate all the features the newest iPods have.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    berrismberrism Posts: 10member
    well actually most high end audio components are flash upgradable. Your linn, sunfires, krells, etc. I have always considered my iPod to be a high end device, I may be wrong to put it in league with these other audio companies though. Just a thought.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by berrism

well actually most high end audio components are flash upgradable. Your linn, sunfires, krells, etc. I have always considered my iPod to be a high end device, I may be wrong to put it in league with these other audio companies though. Just a thought.

The iPod *is* flash upgradeable, but there must exist enough capacity to include all those features. People also want the iPod to be priced lower and to trim costs Apple may not use eproms with a lot of excess capacity. The newer generation may have higher capacity flash and can accommodate more features.

As I see it they are able to reflash for bugfixes (some limited upgrades like playing AAC for 1st and 2nd gen iPods) and that is perfectly fine. The iPod is not marketed as an upgradeable device anyhow so I fail to see where people feel cheated.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    At least with a 3G iPod, you don't have to worry about your Mac freezing up because you've got an iSight plugged in at the same time:

iPod and iSight Don't Mix

My 4G iPod is on the way, and I certainly hope Apple comes up with a software or firmware update to solve this problem pretty soon. The work-arounds of using USB or having to keep one thing unplugged while the other is plugged in aren't very appealing.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    I think they should have updated the 3Gs firmware since the supposed bump in battery life comes from improved power management. While not necesarily a bug fix, more efficient battery use would extend life of 3G iPod's batteries. Short battery times in the end give Apple a bad rep.

My 3G still rocks, tho.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by monkeyastronaut

I think they should have updated the 3Gs firmware since the supposed bump in battery life comes from improved power management. While not necesarily a bug fix, more efficient battery use would extend life of 3G iPod's batteries. Short battery times in the end give Apple a bad rep.

My 3G still rocks, tho.

4hrs extra battery life is a bit more than some power management tweaks.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by shetline

At least with a 3G iPod, you don't have to worry about your Mac freezing up because you've got an iSight plugged in at the same time:

iPod and iSight Don't Mix

My 4G iPod is on the way, and I certainly hope Apple comes up with a software or firmware update to solve this problem pretty soon. The work-arounds of using USB or having to keep one thing unplugged while the other is plugged in aren't very appealing.

This isn't a 4G specific problem...

It happens with my 3G iPod and iSight in very specific situations. The iSight is plugged into a specific FireWire port and the iPod is chained off the other port.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by Bancho

4hrs extra battery life is a bit more than some power management tweaks.

That's what I think too, but it was said (by the the Newsweek article or some other news article) that the extended battery life was due to "diligent convervation" of power, rather than by a hardware change. If that's the case, then a firmware update for the 3G's should be fairly simple.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

This isn't a 4G specific problem...

It happens with my 3G iPod and iSight in very specific situations. The iSight is plugged into a specific FireWire port and the iPod is chained off the other port.

I got the impression that whatever FireWire/iSight issues there are with the 4G iPod, they were remarkable enough to mention as something special, and presumably worse than the 3G problem you cite.

I'm wondering if the delay notice that I got today (putting my 7/22 delivery off until 7/28) might have something to do with trying to fix this problem, or if it's just the usual run-of-the-mill supply issues.