Paypal doesn't like IE 5

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi.

I'm new here, so forgive me if this question has been asked before. Actually, it's 'these questions' - I have several, so for simplicity's sake I'm dealing with them in separate threads.

Firstly, as the header says, I'm having problems with Paypal, eBay's online payment service. Basically, when I go into Paypal, I can only see the headers, so I can't access my account.

Thinking my system might be suffering from some corruption or old problem which has since been cured, I updated it to OS 9.2 and IE 5.1.7. No improvement.

Then I contacted Paypal, who suggested I configure my browser to accept all cookies (it is), check that I have 128-bit encryption (I do) and clear all cookies (I did, more than once). No improvement.

At that point Paypal gave up, saying

"If you are encountering difficulties using Internet Explorer on Mac OS 9.x and below, we ask that you consider using a different browser at this time. The error you are encountering is a well-known and documented issue with Internet Explorer's inability to recognize valid security certificates. Approximately one year ago, Microsoft announced the end of development

for future versions of the Internet Explorer browser for the Mac. With this in mind, you will want to begin looking at various alternatives available for your Internet browsing needs."

My question here is are they right and, if not, is there anything else I can try to get it working again?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    ajonesajones Posts: 24member
    PayPal is correct, Microsoft has no plans to develop IE any further... I'm not familiar with OS 9 enough to remember any *Other* browsers, but I do know that IE 5.x doesn't play well with PayPal...

I use Safari and Firefox (neither work on OS 9) and they work great. Best thing I can do is tell you to look for an OS 9 Browser that is maintained...
  • Reply 2 of 22
    Trying using the OS9 version of Opera, or mozilla. You can find them in a google search i'm sure.
  • Reply 3 of 22
    Thanks, though ideally I'd have a browser that worked (in different variants) on OS 9 and OS X, as I don't fancy running two different browsers on my two Macs.

Thanks for the input.
  • Reply 4 of 22
    "Trying using the OS9 version of Opera, or mozilla. You can find them in a google search i'm sure."

Thanks - do Opera or Mozilla work with both OS 9 and OS X?
  • Reply 5 of 22
    I know there are OS X and OS 9 versions of Opera, I'm not sure about mozilla though...
  • Reply 6 of 22
    Thanks yet again for your helpful comments.

Not knowing anything about browsers, would you recommend Opera over Mozilla or vice-versa, and if so, why?
  • Reply 7 of 22
    I'd recommend Opera, i've always had better performance with them. And the version of Mozilla for OS 9 is actually ported from Windows, so it's not 100% bug free. Unless there's a new one I don't know about.
  • Reply 8 of 22
    chychchych Posts: 860member
    [url = http://wamcom.org/20030624/macos9/]WamCom[/url] has modified versions of Mozilla, which are later than the official versions supported in OS 9.
  • Reply 9 of 22
    ionyzionyz Posts: 491member
    Actually Microsoft has began development of IE again. They aim for tabbed browsing, pop-up blocking and web standards compliance. Not quite sure if the MBU will port it over to OS X.

Don't hold out on IE 5 for Mac, it is known to be downright stupid on many web development fronts. Opera and Mozilla are better alternatives.
  • Reply 10 of 22
    Thanks, one and all.
  • Reply 11 of 22
    (Some time later

Well, I've tried Opera, which does display my Paypal page after a minor hiccup, but took ages to load pages (FAR longer than Explorer) and when I tried hitting the maximise button it maximised the edges of the page off the screen! I had to abort the program to get back into it. Not a tempting start - I think I'll leave Opera aside pro tem.

The one program nobody has mentioned is Netscape which, I've finally recollected, does actually come with OS 9. Is it still around and/or supported? And is there a reason why no one has suggested it?

Plus I have another question, but that's under a new thread.

Thanks again for your thoughts on this matter.

Alan
  • Reply 12 of 22
    Thread title: Paypal doesn't like IE 5.

I don't like IE 5.

What's the big deal?

Seriously though, as pointed out earlier, Microsoft isn't going to update IE for Macintosh any further. Not even Apple really support OS 9 any more, so it may be worth your while to consider Mac OS X ? you'll be glad you did. m.
  • Reply 13 of 22
    Maybe I should have mentioned that this is for my old Wall Street Powerbook which, if it has the capability to run OS X, will do it at a pace of which even a snail would be ashamed.

And actually [can of worms time here:] I did consider OS X - I bought an iBook a year ago with it on it. The much-vaunted "uncrashable" [ ] OS X crashed twice within the first few days, nobody could figure out why, and seeing as how OS 9 did everything I wanted to my satisfaction without crashing, I figured new isn't - in my case - any better The only reason I'm now forced to adopt OS X is my new iPod and any other accessories I may get in future.
  • Reply 14 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by alanwoollcombe

The one program nobody has mentioned is Netscape which, I've finally recollected, does actually come with OS 9. Is it still around and/or supported? And is there a reason why no one has suggested it?

I use it as a test browser, because it represents all the poor people using 5+ year old browsers. Although the 4.8 release was somewhat recent it didn't do much and was probably developed for a major company that funded Netscape for it.

Nothing renders pages worse Mac side except maybe iCab. I don't recommend it to anyone. Every platform I've seen that has Netscape 4.x also has access to Mozilla-based browsers (OS 9, Irix, Solaris, Linux, BSD, etc).
  • Reply 15 of 22
    "I use it as a test browser, because it represents all the poor people using 5+ year old browsers. Although the 4.8 release was somewhat recent it didn't do much and was probably developed for a major company that funded Netscape for it. Nothing renders pages worse Mac side except maybe iCab. I don't recommend it to anyone. Every platform I've seen that has Netscape 4.x also has access to Mozilla-based browsers (OS 9, Irix, Solaris, Linux, BSD, etc)."

So Mozilla is better/faster/more feature-laden - but is it stable enough and easily-fixable enough for a novice end user like myself?

Or which browser do you recommend that will run on OS 9 (and hopefully OS X too, so that I can use it on my other machine when it's up and running)?
  • Reply 16 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by alanwoollcombe

So Mozilla is better/faster/more feature-laden - but is it stable enough and easily-fixable enough for a novice end user like myself?

Or which browser do you recommend that will run on OS 9 (and hopefully OS X too, so that I can use it on my other machine when it's up and running)?

I wouldn't say faster, its modern and requires more memory then Netscape 4.x. It is better yes, because it has more features and renders pages more consistently. You can run it on any number of platforums so you won't have problems there.

Easily-fixable enough? Not sure what you mean. Your not compiling it or anything. I don't use Mac OS 9 but you simply download a compressed file, double click (to expand) and there you have it. Newer versions of Netscape (6+) use Mozilla components so if you were to go that route it would be almost identical.

Your crutch is OS 9. Newer builds of Mozilla aren't designed to run on it, they cut support long ago. Others on this thread IIRC mentioned a group that compiles newer builds for OS 9. If not you will always find the Mozilla 1.x builds somewhere for OS 9.
  • Reply 17 of 22
    leppoleppo Posts: 66member
    Quote:

Originally posted by IonYz

Nothing renders pages worse Mac side except maybe iCab. I don't recommend it to anyone.

Wow, that's very strange to hear because before I switched to OS X, I used icab for a lot of pages that IE couldn't handle. In fact, weirdly enough, icab did a great job with java heavy pages that my other browsers choked on. Of course, I haven't used it in ages since, so it might have fallen behind.
  • Reply 18 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by Leppo

Wow, that's very strange to hear because before I switched to OS X, I used icab for a lot of pages that IE couldn't handle. In fact, weirdly enough, icab did a great job with java heavy pages that my other browsers choked on. Of course, I haven't used it in ages since, so it might have fallen behind.

Much of my work envoles web standards, high levels of stylesheets and the like. For HTML3/4 pages, iCab does alright. They also use ECMAScript, an open-source alternative to JavaScript. Don't work with much js since I believe most scripting should be server-side so I'm not sure what advantages ES has over JS.
  • Reply 19 of 22
    Quote:

Easily-fixable enough? Not sure what you mean. Your not compiling it or anything. I don't use Mac OS 9 but you simply download a compressed file, double click (to expand) and there you have it. Newer versions of Netscape (6+) use Mozilla components so if you were to go that route it would be almost identical. Your crutch is OS 9. Newer builds of Mozilla aren't designed to run on it, they cut support long ago. Others on this thread IIRC mentioned a group that compiles newer builds for OS 9. If not you will always find the Mozilla 1.x builds somewhere for OS 9. [/B]

By easily-fixable, I mean that, if anything goes wrong, a novice like myself can easily find the information to fix it. Basic stuff, not anything that requires a programmer's skills.

What worries me is when you say "they cut support long ago": if anything goes wrong, where would I be able to turn for advice? If it's minor and/or I can find solutions easily enough on forums such as this, then fine. Or then again, maybe I'm just worrying about something that's unlikely to happen.

As it happens, I've downloaded Mozilla Version 1.3.1 from Wamcom and am running it at the moment without problems. Do you know if this is the latest, stable version for OS 9?
  • Reply 20 of 22
    netscape.. totally forgot about that lol