12" Powerbook hesitation

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have been doing a lot of word processing and other modest computing aon a brand spankin' new powerbook, and it likes to stop responding without any apparent cause. I type for a minute and nothing appears then I click somewhere else and the text pops up. This anachronistic behavior brings me back to word processing in the '80s, and it's not what I expect from a new powerbook. The machine gets real hot, so I have thought some that the heat is snargling the processing. A colleague with the smae machine has seen the same stuff (heat and hesitaiton), but has no clue what's up. I've heard some suggestions that Panther likes to do "house cleaning" in the background, but it ought to give me a choice of when (if this is even true).

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    Quote:

Originally posted by bigglesworth

I have been doing a lot of word processing and other modest computing aon a brand spankin' new powerbook, and it likes to stop responding without any apparent cause. I type for a minute and nothing appears then I click somewhere else and the text pops up. This anachronistic behavior brings me back to word processing in the '80s, and it's not what I expect from a new powerbook. The machine gets real hot, so I have thought some that the heat is snargling the processing. A colleague with the smae machine has seen the same stuff (heat and hesitaiton), but has no clue what's up. I've heard some suggestions that Panther likes to do "house cleaning" in the background, but it ought to give me a choice of when (if this is even true).

Any suggestions?

What word processor are you using? Also, how much Ram is installed in your Powerbook? If you're trying to run Microsoft Word, and you've only got 256 Meg of Ram (I'm guessing here) your Powerbook might be paging out quite a bit. If you open up the Activity Monitor (in the Applications/Utilities folder) that will tell you exactly what's going on, which processes are running and how much memory they're taking, and you can filter it for just one process if you like. As far as the heat goes, I've got a Rev. A 12" Powerbook (867 MHz, 640 Meg Ram, 60 Gig hard drive) and it does get hot after a while. The aluminum case (both fortunately and unfortunately) makes a great heat sink. According to Apple this is normal. Hope this helps.

Marc
  • Reply 2 of 2
    I have lots of RAM ( 768 ). That's why I can't figure it out. I wonder how hot it has to get before the processor starts to hiccup.