Can't shutdown, logout, or restart

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 31
    ajonesajones Posts: 24member
    I kind of wish it was! But I'm the only user!
  • Reply 22 of 31
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Are you saying that absolutely nothing happens when you chose logout from the Apple Menu, or do you get some of the logout and it fails?
  • Reply 23 of 31
    Quote:

Originally posted by asdasd

Are you saying that absolutely nothing happens when you chose logout from the Apple Menu, or do you get some of the logout and it fails?

Absolutely nothing happens. That's it. Nothing. It just sits there
  • Reply 24 of 31
    jwri004jwri004 Posts: 626member
    When I have issues with a slow sleep it has always been a process running that stops it from happening.

What I do is go into the terminal and kill processes and narrow down the culprit by killing them in batches until the problem disappears.

Also the process I was talking about before is the same as the one you displayed, in top it is truncated.

Could you also put a return in your code line so the formatting of this page returns to normal????

• Reply 25 of 31
    kwsn_hgskwsn_hgs Posts: 23member
    Remember that unix treats devices as "files" and is reluctant to shut down while any "files" are still open. Do an ls -il in the /dev directory to see what's going on, look in particular for a clue that a device might have been left open. Look at the access dates to see if anything is really really old.

Have you repaired permissions lately?
  • Reply 26 of 31
    Quote:

Originally posted by KWSN_hgs

Remember that unix treats devices as "files" and is reluctant to shut down while any "files" are still open. Do an ls -il in the /dev directory to see what's going on, look in particular for a clue that a device might have been left open. Look at the access dates to see if anything is really really old.

Have you repaired permissions lately?

Permissions are repaired daily @ 4:00am
  • Reply 27 of 31
    It has nothing to do with the apps not quitting. They are not getting the Apple Event to quit, which would not happen until the user agreed to Logout ( when that dialog appears).

He is not getting that.

ajones, can you sample loginwindow when this happens

In terminal

sample loginwindow 2
  • Reply 28 of 31
    I get this:

Code:

aaron$ sample loginwindow 2

sample cannot find a process you have access to which has a name like 'loginwindow'

syntax: sample <pid/partial name> <duration (secs)> { <msecs between samples> } <options>

options: {-mayDie} {-wait} {-subst <old> <new>}*

-file filename specifies where results should be written

-mayDie reads symbol information right away

-wait wait until the process named (usually by partial name)

exists, then start sampling

-subst can be used to replace a stripped executable by another

Note that the program must have been started using a full path, rather than a

relative path, for analysis to work, or that the -subst option must be specified

• Reply 29 of 31
    Quote:

Originally posted by ajones

I get this:

Code:

aaron$ sample loginwindow 2

sample cannot find a process you have access to which has a name like 'loginwindow'

syntax: sample <pid/partial name> <duration (secs)> { <msecs between samples> } <options>

options: {-mayDie} {-wait} {-subst <old> <new>}*

-file filename specifies where results should be written

-mayDie reads symbol information right away

-wait wait until the process named (usually by partial name)

exists, then start sampling

-subst can be used to replace a stripped executable by another

Note that the program must have been started using a full path, rather than a

relative path, for analysis to work, or that the -subst option must be specified

Oops! Forgot to run it as root:

Code:

root# sample loginwindow 2

2004-07-23 17:32:24.844 sample[1866] Couldn't start c++filt for C++ name demangling

Sampling process 209 each 10 msecs 200 times

Sample analysis of process 209 written to file /tmp/loginwindow_209.sample.txt

• Reply 30 of 31
    Right. loginwindow is a root app, so

sudo sample loginwindow 2

Password:

at the password prompt type in the user's password. should do this only in an admin account.
  • Reply 31 of 31
    auroraaurora Posts: 1,142member
    Quote:

Originally posted by asdasd

Right. loginwindow is a root app, so

sudo sample loginwindow 2

Password:

at the password prompt type in the user's password. should do this only in an admin account.

though this might be of no help i would suggest pulling the plug and pulling out or disconnecting every card,device connected to your system. i once had a bad pci card that made my system behave in this fashion. I have heard of bad video cards doing something similar. anyways good luck.