Dashboard: konfabulator fights back.

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014

Found this interesting.

It appears that Konfabulator is not just going to fade into the sunset (ala Watson) any one else find this interesting?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 51
    I was wondering about that... wasn't sure if Apple made a deal with Konfabulator or if they just copied it. Now we know.
  • Reply 2 of 51
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rlindeman

I was wondering about that... wasn't sure if Apple made a deal with Konfabulator or if they just copied it. Now we know.

Whoa... it's like late June, early July 2004 all over again.

Dashboard vs. Konfabulator

Konfab Confab
  • Reply 3 of 51
    Apple is calling them Widgets too... just like Konfabulator.
  • Reply 4 of 51
    Quote:

Originally posted by Hobbes

Whoa... it's like late June, early July 2004 all over again.

Dashboard vs. Konfabulator

Konfab Confab

Wow! Excellent articles... thanks Hobbes. That clears up everything for me.
  • Reply 5 of 51
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    There one big difference between the two that I see.

Konfab- embedded widgets constantly sucking up resources

Dashboard- only uses resources when I need to access them.

I like Dashboards usability more.
  • Reply 6 of 51
    cooopcooop Posts: 390member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

I like Dashboards usability more.

Dashboard development is much better also.
  • Reply 7 of 51
    northgatenorthgate Posts: 4,461member
    Dashboard!

One button hide/reveal. No resource hog.
  • Reply 8 of 51
    mmmpiemmmpie Posts: 628member
    Im not paying for Konfabulator, its that simple. The business model doesnt work for me. K can only be successful on the shoulders of the available widgets. I would much rather support widget writers. What really kills it is that there arent any good widgets, Ive tried, and tried, and in the end, always gotten rid of it.

I believe that Dashboard will overcome this problem, because everyone will have it. It will get some really cool widgets. I want my chat window in dashboard
  • Reply 9 of 51
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rlindeman

Apple is calling them Widgets too... just like Konfabulator.

That is fine, no different than word perfect and M$ office both useing the term document for a file that you want to open or save.
  • Reply 10 of 51
    cool widget for dashboard: an analog gauge cluster system monitor, the spedometer would be cpu, tac would be gpu, fuel would be ram, and odometer would be uptime.
  • Reply 11 of 51
    kelibkelib Posts: 740member
    Can Konfab and Dashboard be used simultaniously? There's one widget in Konfab that I simply can't live with out, one that makes it easy to follow fooy scores from ALL Countries in Europe. I can select the games in which I'm interested and the scores are very much up to date. I can even follow the Icelandic premier league
  • Reply 12 of 51
    k squaredk squared Posts: 608member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kelib

Can Konfab and Dashboard be used simultaniously? There's one widget in Konfab that I simply can't live with out, one that makes it easy to follow fooy scores from ALL Countries in Europe. I can select the games in which I'm interested and the scores are very much up to date. I can even follow the Icelandic premier league

Of course they could be used simultaneously. They are quite different, in fact.
  • Reply 13 of 51
    johnjohn Posts: 99member
    Quote:

Dashboard! One button hide/reveal. No resource hog

Have you actually compared the resource usage of Dashboard and Konfabulator?
  • Reply 14 of 51
    Quote:

Originally posted by kelib

It may not be that hard to port, just look at the xml for it, and make any needed changes, use whatever sources it uses for real time data (most likely an rss feed) and code it your self, slap a UI together in photoshop, and vwala.
  • Reply 15 of 51
    airslufairsluf Posts: 1,861member
    Kickaha and Amorph couldn't moderate themselves out of a paper bag. Abdicate responsibility and succumb to idiocy. Two years of letting a member make personal attacks against others, then stepping aside when someone won't put up with it. Not only that but go ahead and shut down my posting priviledges but not the one making the attacks. Not even the common decency to abide by their warning (afer three days of absorbing personal attacks with no mods in sight), just shut my posting down and then say it might happen later if a certian line is crossed. Bullshit flag is flying, I won't abide by lying and coddling of liars who go off-site, create accounts differing in a single letter from my handle with the express purpose to decieve and then claim here that I did it. Everyone be warned, kim kap sol is a lying, deceitful poster.

Now I guess they should have banned me rather than just shut off posting priviledges, because kickaha and Amorph definitely aren't going to like being called to task when they thought they had it all ignored *cough* *cough* I mean under control. Just a couple o' tools.

Don't worry, as soon as my work resetting my posts is done I'll disappear forever.
  • Reply 16 of 51
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Quote:

Originally posted by John

Have you actually compared the resource usage of Dashboard and Konfabulator?

No I haven't John, but are you presuming to tell me that If I have 8 Dashboard widgets chosen, yet I have not conjured them up, they use as much CPU or Memory as 8 embedded Konfabulator widgets?

If so I'd be "very" interested in knowing more about this. If Dashboard uses resources intermittently then I'm more keen on that versus the constant draw of embedded widgets.
  • Reply 17 of 51
    Dashboard uses CoreImage for all it's candy effects, no processor hog, all GPU. does Konfabulator have that?
  • Reply 18 of 51
    mpmoriartympmoriarty Posts: 289member
    Probably not, but once Tiger goes mainstream, I'm sure the Konfabulator developers will integrate it.

Personally, I like Dashboard and the fact that all the widgets use HTML/CSS/JS for their underlying code.

I've been monitoring

http://www.thedashboarder.com

A website that allows developers to post their dashboard widgets/gadgets. There are already some cool gadgets.

Even though I don't have Tiger, I can download these gadgets and run them in Safari.

Mike
  • Reply 19 of 51
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Seriously, will we still need CPUs in Tiger? All I hear is Core Image, Core Image, Core Image.

Also...Konfab's widgets are written in XML, how hard would it be to convert them to Dashboard Widgets?
  • Reply 20 of 51
    johnjohn Posts: 99member
    Quote:

"Have you actually compared the resource usage of Dashboard and Konfabulator"

No I haven't John, but are you presuming to tell me that If I have 8 Dashboard widgets chosen, yet I have not conjured them up, they use as much CPU or Memory as 8 embedded Konfabulator widgets?

"Not yet conjured them up"? Is that equivalent to not yet having launched Konfabulator? Or are the Dashboard widgets simply not visible, but already running?

If you haven't actually compared, what makes you think the CPU and memory usage will be so different for widgets with similar functions?

Quote:

Dashboard uses CoreImage for all it's candy effects, no processor hog, all GPU. does Konfabulator have that?

Konfab doesn't have any "candy effects" Sure, it has composited windows, but every window is composited, and compositing is already GPU accelerated by Quartz Extreme.