Doom3 and ids Benches

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
id has a nice little article put together to give many users an idea of what they can expect from current hardware. nice readhttp://www.hardocp.com/index.html for some reason i cant get this link to work, anyways they show benches on 6800,x800,9800xts etc. article has many comment from john carmack on system requirements etc. he also states if you are running any cutting edge game then you should be able to play Doom3 with no problem. if anyone can provide a link that works id would appreciate it and so would i.

[MOD EDIT: Fixed Link - Jambo]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    PC Gamer's latest issue features a hardware upgrade guide under Hollenstead's supervision. Of note: the 6800 Ultra runs Doom III a wee bit faster than the x800 XT. So if you were trashing Apple's decision...reconsider.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    concordconcord Posts: 312member
    Indeed. Even the 6800GT outpaces the XT in D3 in most cases. It'll be interesting to see how these two perform in a non-OpenGL game like Half-Life 2.

Cheers,

C.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    trowatrowa Posts: 176member
    Nvidia historically has always run OpenGL games (as well as Apps) better than ATI. ATI focuses more on Direct3D. The 6800 GT/Ultra should run Half Life 2 just fine. Nvidia is still tuning their D3D and OpenGL drivers.

I think the fact that Doom 3 runs pretty well on average hardware is a testament to OpenGL as well as id's programming prowess.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    iposteriposter Posts: 1,560member
    Quote from the article:

Quote:

As John Carmack said of DOOM 3 in our introduction, "all of the modern cards play the game very well." The NVIDIA 6800Ultra and 6800GT video cards along with the Radeon X800XT-PE are going to be stellar DOOM 3 performers probably giving the gamer better Image Quality and framerate performance than we ever thought would be possible at the launch of DOOM 3. These three GPUs are simply going to deliver a level of visual gameplay immersion in DOOM 3 that will likely blow away even the most hardened game player or hardware enthusiast. That said, it looks as if ATI's decision to scale their current line of flagship video cards by crippling the Radeon X800Pro?s graphics pipelines to 12 pipes, instead of the 16 pipes of the Radeon X800XT-PE might have been a bad move, at least in terms of satisfying DOOM 3 players. NVIDIA on the other hand chose to scale from their Ultra to GT models by only decreasing the clock speed of the GPUs. The NVIDIA 6800GT certainly stood out among the crowd as its DOOM 3 framerates continually outpaced the Radeon X800XT-PE that currently has a list price that is $100 more than the GeForce 6800GT. NVIDIA has told us more than once that the 6800 series was ?designed to play DOOM 3,? and the truth of that statement is now glaringly obvious.

Now, if only I could afford a G5 with a 6800....!

Or the iMac G5 comes with one...
  • Reply 5 of 5
    powermacg6powermacg6 Posts: 123member
    A thing I read recently, the X800 is the ultimate evolution of an older core that has nowhere to go apart from clock spped increases from better process. On the Other hand the 6800 is a brand new architecture, that can still evolve in the design and again will benefit from process tech.