Random crashes in G5 Dual 1.8

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
My friend bought a PowerMac G5 Dual 1.8 rev a in april.

His computer suffers from random freezes. He uses Audio Logic Pro and Finale 2004b and had updated Panther to the last system updates 10.3.4. There is audio equipment connected to a firewire Port.

We did the Apple hardware test and checked with Techtool Pro and we found nothing wrong with the G5. (160 GB ATA hard disk-Pioneer 106D and 1 GB RAM)

The DVD-drive is noisy. Otherwise, the computer is silent. We have set the processor speed to Automatic and to Maximum but there was no difference in stability.

Do some of the 2nd generation PowerMacs G5 also have freezing problems?

TIA

\

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    This is a well documented problem, but I can't help you find exact links. I just know I've read about it here and more specifically at www.macnn.com. Search these two forums and you'll find extensive discussions on the topic. It's a pain as my Dual 1.8 freezes as well.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    londorlondor Posts: 258member
    Quote:

We did the Apple hardware test and checked with Techtool Pro and we found nothing wrong with the G5. (160 GB ATA hard disk-Pioneer 106D and 1 GB RAM)

What brand is the extra RAM?

It has been reported that sometimes there are incompatibilities between 2 different brands of RAM. Both brands will work on its own but when there is a transition from one brand to the other the computer will lock up.

Check if running the computer with just one brand of RAM eliminates the lock-ups.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    bad os install?
  • Reply 4 of 15
    Personally I think there is something wrong in the OS. I have a Rev B. G5 Dual 2.0Ghz with 512 MB RAM, 160GB HD, ATI Radeon 9600XT and just about everyday Finder freezes on me and I have to do a reboot. Personally this is getting to be rather annoying and I think Apple needs to fix this problem. I have 10.3.4 running on my iMac G4 800mhz and on my iBook G3 and I haven't had any problems with freezing issues. And has anyone else noticed that the G5 boots up slowly too? My iMac beats my G5 to the login window....these are bugs that need to be fixed IMO. So I would tell your friend that's just the way it's going to be for a while till 10.3.5 maybe??
  • Reply 5 of 15
    If you have a stock G5 and it is freezing call Apple to get it fixed. It is not a software issue so do not expect the next OS update to resolve the problem.

My G5 is 8 month old and it has been rock solid since day 1 as it should be.

The G5 is quite delicate inside and I think rough handling while shipping is the cause of the problems.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    This is the thread I was talking about.

For me this freezing lasted across multiple machines and installs.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    Yep!

I use two 1.8GHz machines on a regular basis and I've been complaining about this since Panther was released.

I've tried repairing permissions, disabling all fonts, swapping out RAM and re-installing 10.3 on a freshly formatted drive. I get, on average, three 'screen-wipes' a day.

I think I've narrowed it down to one of two possibilities:

1. A serious bug in Panther.

2. A serious bug in Panther.

In my case, it's nothing to do with Fonts or the hardware itself, because if I reinstall 10.2.7 (G5) then the machines work without any problems whatsoever.

I do seem to get an awful lot of crashes when enabling/disabled fonts in FontBook - but as these fonts work perfectly under 10.2 I suspect that the problem is more to do with the way that Panther handles fonts rather than the fonts themselves.

I also get random crashes on my iMac 20" at home, so it's not a G5 specific problem - funnily enough my iMac is also running 10.3.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    idunnoidunno Posts: 645member
    So has this phenomenon only been reported in the dual 1.8's? I only ask because I was looking at getting the dual 1.8. Maybe I'll have to go the dual 2's.

iDunno.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    o4blackwrxo4blackwrx Posts: 383member
    read my previous post....

Quote:

Personally I think there is something wrong in the OS. I have a Rev B. G5 Dual 2.0Ghz with 512 MB RAM, 160GB HD, ATI Radeon 9600XT and just about everyday Finder freezes on me and I have to do a reboot. Personally this is getting to be rather annoying and I think Apple needs to fix this problem. I have 10.3.4 running on my iMac G4 800mhz and on my iBook G3 and I haven't had any problems with freezing issues. And has anyone else noticed that the G5 boots up slowly too? My iMac beats my G5 to the login window....these are bugs that need to be fixed IMO. So I would tell your friend that's just the way it's going to be for a while till 10.3.5 maybe??

• Reply 10 of 15
    O4BlackWRX

There is something wrong with your G5. I also have an iMac G4 800 and a G5 1.8 DP and the G5 is a lot faster booting up than the iMac. As I said in my previous post my G5 is 8 months old running 24/7 and is yet to crash or freeze (touch wood).

Messah

Have you tried running the G5 without installing the extra fonts? Just because those fonts work in Jaguar does not mean that they will do it in Panther.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    My problems have had nothing to do with Fonts as I have no extra fonts installed on my current machine but it has frozen (albeit not as often as it did prior to my most recent reinstall.)

WARNING: After so many hard reboots my drive ultimately failed and I lost a ton of stuff.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    THE PROBLEM IS SOLVED!

After replacing the videocard, the G5 2x1.8 is rock stable.

My friend is now very happy with his machine and I ordered the same computer.

It is really strange that Apple Hardware test and Techtool Pro didn't detect the problem....
  • Reply 13 of 15
    That's great. What was wrong with the card?
  • Reply 14 of 15
    I don't know, but the replacement card (same Geforce NVDia 64 MB) works perfect.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mac Hammer Fan

I don't know, but the replacement card (same Geforce NVDia 64 MB) works perfect.

We had the same issue with one of our 1.8 machines. After Apple replaced that video card all was fine.